The Student Room Group

Physics and Philosophy (PhysPhil)

Scroll to see replies

Hello everyone, I'm an Italian student and I'm considering applying for Phyisics and Philosophy to Oxford, as well as to other universities. Honestly, your comments scared me a little... Is the workload that heavy? You made it seem like you can't have a life outside school!
I'm really excited about this course. I'm currently studying philosophy at school , and it has been love at first sight. I'm passionate about physics, too, especially its most controversial theories and philosophical aspects.
However, applying for this course means a lot of work for me, from writing the personal statement to improving my background of physics, so I really need some advice about the workload, the competitiveness, and most of all student satisfaction.
(edited 8 years ago)
Reply 21
Any thoughts anyone?
Original post by JDewy
Any thoughts anyone?

Any thoughts on what? this thread is very old
Reply 23
The course says it needs A*AA and the A* must be in maths or physics. I got A*AA in maths physics and English lit but the a* was in English. Is there any point applying to Oxford ? Or will they point blank say no?
Thanks a lot for your insight. This year I'll be applying to Oxford for PhysPhil but before that I have few questions:1) As you said that for this course the workload is too high, so do you even get any time to do anything else, like to play sports or to hangout, or you have to study 24/7?2) If I'm not wrong, Oxford has a 3 terms programme , 8 weeks each, for every course. So in a year you have 24 weeks of college which is less than a half of a year Then what about the rest of the time, are there any lectures or are you given any work or assignments to complete; or it's just a free time where you could do some internships or something else? 3) What kind of career choices do you have after doing this course? 4) Last question, for a PhysPhil student, he/she has a choice to change his/her course to MMathPhys after the third year. Is this applicable for the International students who are studying PhyPhil, because I have heard that for a international student changing of courses is pretty difficult hence I just wanted to know that if I study PhysPhil at oxford then will I have the liberty to switch courses in the final year?
Thanks a lot for your insight. This year I'll be applying to Oxford for PhysPhil but before that I have few questions:1) As you said that for this course the workload is too high, so do you even get any time to do anything else, like to play sports or to hangout, or you have to study 24/7?2) If I'm not wrong, Oxford has a 3 terms programme , 8 weeks each, for every course. So in a year you have 24 weeks of college which is less than a half of a year Then what about the rest of the time, are there any lectures or are you given any work or assignments to complete; or it's just a free time where you could do some internships or something else? 3) What kind of career choices do you have after doing this course? 4) Last question, for a PhysPhil student, he/she has a choice to change his/her course to MMathPhys after the third year. Is this applicable for the International students who are studying PhyPhil, because I have heard that for a international student changing of courses is pretty difficult hence I just wanted to know that if I study PhysPhil at oxford then will I have the liberty to switch courses in the final year?
Im looking at PhyPhil right now, i know this post is old, but did you get it/end up doing another phyphil course and if so how did it go, if anyone else has any experience with this and would like to share please do!

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending