The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

Actually the English exam is on the 15th May :thumbsup:

Ach well, I'm not stressing too much. I have revised a little, and I'm really going to get my head down from now to the beginning of the diet. I hope I can get what I need to go to university, and that's all. I would really like that elusive B in Maths, though...
EmmaDilemma
uchh tell me about it.. i would love a B in maths. I've frantically been going over the circle and logarithms these holidays.. i seriously don't get them.
Straight line is a scoosh now though.

What highers are you taking?

The Circle is one of the hardest parts methinks :mad:

I'm doing English, Maths, French, German and Modern Studies. I actually quite enjoy them all besides Maths. But now I understand most of the maths course, it's bearable, just about.
5 weeks is more than enough time, as long as you use it :p:
Reply 4
I loved the circle :o: Although I can't/probably do any maths from Higher anymore :biggrin:

Now Unit 3 was hard, not the vectors or the last part! I think it was Further Differentiation?
EmmaDilemma
logarithms

There's relatively little you actually need to know, if you condense it:

log(ab)=log(a+b)\log(ab) = \log(a + b)
log(ab)=blog(a)\log(a^b) = b\log(a)

elnx=lnex=xe^{\ln x} = \ln e^x = x

ddxex=ex\displaystyle\frac{d}{dx}\,e^x = e^x

Also, base conversion from b to c (although I can't actually remember if you need this):

logba=logcalogcb\log_b a = \displaystyle\frac{\log_c a}{\log_c b}

That and the graphs of ln x and e^x.
If you get a decent directed writing, French will be easy as.
Reply 7
I can't do directed writing either :frown: The highest I've gotten is a 12, but my last 2 I've handed in to mark (with help obviously!) were 9's :frown: I think the listening writing is much harder though :frown:
Reply 8
Omg yeah it just hit me today how soon the exams are.
I really need to get my arse in gear tbh :frown: I'm staying on next year anyway but really don't want to have to resit anything.
Been focusing too much on Maths recently, now need to do some English and Business Management too :frown:
And maybe have a wee look at writings for French and Spanish if I can be bothered lol.
Reply 9
5 weeks should be enough, but some serious revision needs to be done:eek3: ,
i'm worried about my exams too, there are so soon:eek:
Reply 10
I'm doing A levels, not Scottish Exams, but good luck to all of you! :o:

(My first exam is the 15th June...and last one is on the 17th June...)
Reply 11
EmmaDilemma
Ah maths is like top of my list just now as well... it sort of goes Maths - Bio - History - English - French... i seem to underestimate french so much :erm: I have no idea why because it isn't really my strongest subject.

I'm the same I'm so against resitting anything next year cos I just want to laze around next year and not have to do much work before uni kicks in.

Yeah everyone seems to focus on Maths! I've been to revision courses and everything, what a sad life I lead lol.
I'm the opposite with French (and Spanish) - I barely study and always do well. It's pretty annoying actually considering the amount of effort I put into my other subjects but I never do as well in them lol.
Yeah exactly - I want to do maybe three subjects next year - 4 max - and spend the rest of my time learning to drive and maybe earning a bit of money for uni! No doubt my plans won't work out but hey :p:
Reply 12
MrGumby

Are you sure?:p:
Reply 13
MrGumby

Good luck to you too! :biggrin: Aah I must say I rather envy you...my first exam is on the 15th of May and my last one isn't till the 5th of June! :frown:
Reply 14
rose_3
Are you sure?:p:

Yup I'm sure...

15th June - History
17th June - Geography + Biology

19th June - Geography AEA which doesn't really count for anything.

so they are quite a while away yet. :p:

Good luck to you all.
Reply 15
MrGumby
Yup I'm sure...

15th June - History
17th June - Geography + Biology

19th June - Geography AEA which doesn't really count for anything.

so they are quite a while away yet. :p:

Good luck to you all.

What exam board are you doing for biology? i'm doing OCR and i have three exams in total, including the practical
Reply 16
EmmaDilemma
Oh god two exams in the one day?:woo: That sucks, that happened to my friend last year mind you it was only standard grade exams... so need I say much more?

Good Luck in your exams as well I'm sure you'll do well ! :o:

My geography one is 3 hours long then an hours break, followed by a 2 hour biology paper. :eek: Can't really complain though, with only 3 exams. :p:

Sorry, I am really ignorant uninformed of the Scottish exam system...how is it set up? Somebody has tried to explain it to me before and none of it made sense. :p:
I'm not ******** myself yet.
That means we still have time for last minute revision. Literally.
Reply 18
rose_3
What exam board are you doing for biology? i'm doing OCR and i have three exams in total, including the practical

WJEC...ahh yes, I have the practical in 3 weeks, but I count that as coursework really as its just an all day exam with an experiment, planning and microscope work. So out of the A level modules I did BI4 in January, BI6 is the practical and I'm doing BI5 in June...if you use BI for your modules.
Reply 19
EmmaDilemma
I'm so glad I didn't take art they have a 5 hour long exam :| That would just kill me.. i get so restless in exams.

Well basically the majority of people do 5 highers or a mix of int 2 (it's a lower qualification than a higher) and highers for those that aren't ready to do the higher. (most schools require you to have a credit grade in your standard grades to do the higher course for whichever subject) and you sit them in one year.

The jump from standard grade to higher is immense.. which is why a lot of people fail because of the workload.. or just the jump in difficulty I suppose.

In 6th year which is 6th form in England I think? You can sit advanced highers which are slightly better than an A-Level I think (correct me if I'm wrong) but they're not essential for getting into university because you get 4 years at uni here rather than 3 down south.

ah. I think thats it.

:unsure:

That seems so much more complicated than the Welsh/English system.

After GCSE's you go into 6th from, which is year 12

Year 12 = AS Levels, usually 4
Year 13 = A Levels, usually 3 - this is what your predicted grade represents...

The courses are split into 6 modules, 3 are AS, 3 are A level and they all combine to give one grade which is your A level grade.

I have no idea where all of that relates to in the Scottish system. :p: But, is it...

Year 12 - Standards
Year 13 - Highers

OR

Year 12 - Standards + Highers
Year 13 - erm...

or have I just failed?

Latest

Trending

Trending