The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

MrGumby
Wibble

Roughly speaking:

Standard Grade/Intermediate = GCSE (4th year/Year 11)
Higher = AS level (5th year/Year 12)
Advanced Higher = A2 level (6th year/Year 13)

Although there's greater flexibility for taking Intermediates in 5th year and Highers in 6th year that's largely absent in your system.

--

Our exams aren't modular, however. At Intermediate/Higher/Advanced Higher level, you have NABs which are fairly trivial and marked pass/fail. If you don't pass the NABs, you get no qualification (but if you pass the NABs but not the final exam, you do get the NABs as freestanding qualifications).

However, particularly at AH level, you do have coursework which counts - so my final exams are worth 100%, 100%, 80% and 60% of my final grade. As an extreme example, the English final is only 30% if you've submitted a Creative Writing folio.
Reply 21
EmmaDilemma
Higher English Exam is exactly 4 weeks today ! :yikes: :bawling:

Who's ******* themselves? ahah

Me.
I do wish they wouldn't make English the first exam. I know it gets it over and done with, but I'd rather delay it and wait. :eek3:
Reply 22
TheUnbeliever
Roughly speaking

EmmaDilemma
Ermm

Thanks both. I now think I (finally) understand how the Scottish system works. :woo:

God help me at uni...:p:
TheUnbeliever
Roughly speaking:

Standard Grade/Intermediate = GCSE (4th year/Year 11)
Higher = AS level (5th year/Year 12)
Advanced Higher = A2 level (6th year/Year 13)

Although there's greater flexibility for taking Intermediates in 5th year and Highers in 6th year that's largely absent in your system.

--

Our exams aren't modular, however. At Intermediate/Higher/Advanced Higher level, you have NABs which are fairly trivial and marked pass/fail. If you don't pass the NABs, you get no qualification (but if you pass the NABs but not the final exam, you do get the NABs as freestanding qualifications).

However, particularly at AH level, you do have coursework which counts - so my final exams are worth 100%, 100%, 80% and 60% of my final grade. As an extreme example, the English final is only 30% if you've submitted a Creative Writing folio.

as is Geography.
Oh dear English system explosion! Can't understand the need for a billion different examining boards, don't understand it :confused:
i think the scottish system is simple and the best
Reply 26
TimmyVermicelli
Oh dear English system explosion! Can't understand the need for a billion different examining boards, don't understand it :confused:

Me neither, surely one's enough...

Latest

Trending

Trending