Results are out! Find what you need...fast. Get quick advice or join the chat
Hey! Sign in to get help with your study questionsNew here? Join for free to post

Oxidation of Ethanol

Announcements Posted on
Applying to Uni? Let Universities come to you. Click here to get your perfect place 20-10-2014
    • 0 followers

ReputationRep:
    "Describe the complete oxidation of ethanol. Include the conditions, reagents required, and any colour changes."

OK well I know that you add acidified potassium dichromate (prepared from sulphuric acid) and it oxidises first to ethanal and then to ethanoic acid, or vinegar - which is dark brown?

BUT I don't know how to put that in a chemical equation, and I don't know the colour of ethanal or ethanol.

Can anyone help?
    • 0 followers

ReputationRep:
    ethanal and ethanol are both transparent
    • 0 followers

ReputationRep:
    Does acidified potassium dichromate have a colour?
    • 3 followers

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by IBeast)
    Does acidified potassium dichromate have a colour?
    If I remember correctly, acidified potassium dichromate (K2Cr2O7) goes from orange to green during oxidation.

Is ethanol produced from sulphiric acid always ethan-1-ol, CH3CH2OH? If not, it could of course mean that you get a ketone when oxidised. Also, don't forget that you have to distil immediately first and then reflux...

So the overall equation for oxidation of ethan-1-ol is:

C2H5OH + [O] ------> CH3COH + H2O (distill upon heating)

or if heated with excess K2Cr2O7

C2H5OH + 2[O] ------> CH3COOH + H2O (heat under reflux)

Hope this helps!
    • 0 followers

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Languages Nutter)
    Is ethanol produced from sulphiric acid always ethan-1-ol, CH3CH2OH? If not, it could of course mean that you get a ketone when oxidised. Also, don't forget that you have to distil immediately first and then reflux...
    Ethanol is always a primary alcohol.........
    • 3 followers

ReputationRep:
    D'oh! Sorry - my mistake!
    • 0 followers

ReputationRep:
    Ethanol is always a primary alcohol as it only has 2 carbons. You would heat under reflux with acidified potassium dichromate (vi) (i think its (vi)?). It would go via an aldehyde to ethanoic acid. Yes vinegar is brown but i think you'd write the colour change as being from orange to dark green as thats the colour the oxidisnig agent goes. Ethanol and ethanal are both colourless....

Hope this helps, I expect cos I'm such a slow typer loadsa people will have already said the same thing!!
    • 0 followers

ReputationRep:
    Thank you very much that's all I need to know
    • 0 followers

ReputationRep:
    For geek points, ask your A level teacher to show you the ammonium dichromate volcano. Get a small heap of said compound, stick an ethanol-soaked splint in it, and light it.

Might want to do it in a fume hood.
    • 48 followers

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by IBeast)
    OK well I know that you add acidified potassium dichromate (prepared from sulphuric acid) and it oxidises first to ethanal and then to ethanoic acid, or vinegar - which is dark brown?
    H2SO4 is added to potassium dichromate to form the chromate ion and acetic acid is clear and colourless, whatever you do don't say vinegar :tongue:
Updated: April 17, 2009
New on TSR

A-level results day

Is it about making your parents proud?

Article updates
Reputation gems:
You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.