The Student Room Group
Reply 1
Eden09
Hey all,

I'm going to sound like such a fool, I know, but here's my question:

Was the Iron curtain a physical wall or did they just put up a metaphorical curtain? :confused:

Thank you muchly!

"The Iron Curtain was the symbolic, ideological, and physical boundary dividing Europe into two separate areas from the end of World War II in 1945 until the end of the Cold War in 1991." ~ Wikipedia

When Churchill used the phrase in his famous speach, it was meant as a metaphor. But there were physical seperations between East and West, movement between communist and non-communist countries in europe was extremely difficult. The most notable example of a physical wall was the Berlin Wall.
Reply 2
metaphorical, the only physical wall was in Berlin separating the Soviet occupied Eastern territory from the West. There was tight border reguations in that you couldn't cross the borders into/out of Soviet Bloc countries though.
Reply 3
Eden09
Hey all,

I'm going to sound like such a fool, I know, but here's my question:

Was the Iron curtain a physical wall or did they just put up a metaphorical curtain? :confused:

Thank you muchly!

It was also a device that made their tanks invincible :awesome:
Reply 4
Thank you, makes much more sense now :smile:
Reply 5
Sianeh
metaphorical, the only physical wall was in Berlin separating the Soviet occupied Eastern territory from the West. There was tight border reguations in that you couldn't cross the borders into/out of Soviet Bloc countries though.

There were other physical barriers according to wiki :confused:
Reply 6
Oladz

It may have been referring to the Berlin wall (which was technically part of the Iron Curtain?)

Also, lets face it, wiki isn't the most accurate of sources...
Reply 7
Oladz

uh huh?
Mad Vlad
It was also a device that made their tanks invincible :awesome:

lol i thought that when i read it too...
i have just stumbled across a book that clarifies many iron curtain/berlin wall related issues. it certainly has answered many of my question (and i'm only half-way through). i have found it on the lulu website. it's called THE IRON CURTAIN KID and written by some east german guy (in english). best thing is that the first twelve pages (which might already answer somebody's question) can be viewed for free!

Latest

Trending

Trending