The Student Room Group

OCR Coursework query

Hey, been reading the examiner's reports on the investigation and they state that juxtaposition is not source evaluation whereas corss-referencing is. Please could someoen explain the difference please?

I've done things like X historians argues... and this is supported by Y who argues.... Similarly, Z argues '.......' Is that cross reference or juxtaposition?

Then I've used contextual knowledge to demonstrate how valid these claims are which i think is evaluation?

Thanks for any help.
Reply 1
cross referencing is stating 2 historians who agree. Juxtaposition is 2 different things being set together.
Funny though, cos we were told that counter referencing did count as evaluation as long as it had appropriate analysis eg: Historian X disagrees with Y, and considering X's sources it is apparent that his is the more reliable perspective.
I guess they mean it's not enough to just say that X and Y disagree, you have to explain it.
Reply 2
ah right, thanks :smile:.

i find that it's so hard to do all this source evaluation within the 3000 words and keep your argument flowing too! can X-referencing simply be therefore eg, 'Similar to X, Y argues'

and, 'In contrast to Y, D contends that...' then you explain why they contrast...?
Reply 3
We were told to do it more like "Giving further credibility to X's argument is Y's observation that..."
Reply 4
okay, thanks :smile:
Reply 5
JoseReina
ah right, thanks :smile:.

i find that it's so hard to do all this source evaluation within the 3000 words and keep your argument flowing too! can X-referencing simply be therefore eg, 'Similar to X, Y argues'

and, 'In contrast to Y, D contends that...' then you explain why they contrast...?

Source evaluation can be done an number of ways. On the examiners report I read that a good way to do it was to use contextual evidence. So is there evidence to prove that the historian's view is slightly mis-interpreted etc.. and yeah you've got it right about the cross referencing and counter referencing. I'm not sure whether it's been said already, but you could evaluate a historian's view by cross/counter referencing it with another, but always make sure you back it up with evidence, especially if you're counter-referencing :smile:
Reply 6
On the examiners report I read that a good way to do it was to use contextual evidence. So is there evidence to prove that the historian's view is slightly mis-interpreted etc..

if i use contextual evidence to show how the historian's view is correct/justifiable, would it constitute evaluation?
Reply 7
JoseReina
if i use contextual evidence to show how the historian's view is correct/justifiable, would it constitute evaluation?

Yes. It's vital for the historical interpretations paper as well. If an historian gives a view, it has to be evaluated by giving evidence. Look on this examiners report. I think it's this one. Just go to the coursework section

http://www.ocr.org.uk/Data/publications/reports_2007/L_A_Level_History_CER_Jun_07.pdf

Latest

Trending

Trending