The Student Room Group

Adoption.

Am I the only person who thinks adoption is unethical and occasionally just downright ridiculous? People should be allowed to know who their real parents are. It shouldn't be seen as a good thing for people to raise someone else's kid and then lie about it. How is the child supposed to know its heritage/race? What if its real family has a history of cancer or some genetic disease like Huntington's? How is it supposed to know that?

And, in the cases of international adoption...say a White American family adopts a baby from Thailand, or Nigeria, or what the **** ever. How is that family supposed to know what it's like to be a racial minority in the world? How could they possibly prepare 'their child' for the possibility of being harassed or discriminated against in the future? Plus, other people would clearly be able to tell the kid's adopted, so there's that. I'm just going to take a stab in the dark and say that being bought and shipped across the ocean, only to be raised by a bunch of rich, self-righteous hippies isn't going to go very smoothly for that kid.

It's not like an authentic emotional bond could be formed between the adoptee and adoptive "parents". They aren't related by blood. They'll never share the true bond between parents and their real children. Adoption is essentially being a babysitter for 18-20 years.

As an infertile guy, I would just like to say to any other infertile people: ACCEPT YOUR INFERTILITY. Raising someone else's child does not make you a parent. You're just denying that, for some reason, you weren't meant to have children. Suck it up.

I hate that adoption is seen as 'trendy' since celebrities are doing it, so that apparently makes it a-ok to raise someone else's kids! Raise your own damn children.

Scroll to see replies

Reply 1
What about adopting children who no longer have parents?
Reply 2
Yeah sure, because all children should have to stay with their natural parents even if they're abusive drunks, can't cope, or are drug addicts. Because of course, not being with your REAL parents is sooo much more damaging than actually having a good life with people who care about you.
harsh much?
every kid deserves to be loved and to have a good chance in life
some people are more prepared to give it to a kid than others so why not
if my mam didnt want me, i know sure as hell i would love to have someone else there, as much as they would love to have me there
What?!
There is nothing wrong with raising someone else's child if their parents don't want them and you can give them a good life.
Celebrities are adopting because they want to do this and have the money to do it!

It's not like an authentic emotional bond could be formed between the adoptee and adoptive "parents". They aren't related by blood. They'll never share the true bond between parents and their real children. Adoption is essentially being a babysitter for 18-20 years.
Don't agree with u there at all. Of course you can have a bond, I mean how much does it mean to parents who cant have their own child and then get one, they would love them so much and can definitely have a bond, it doesnt have to be theirblood!
I disagree with quite a few things there... but I do have problems with the idea of adoption. I don't think it's ever ethical to lie to child about being adopted. I also feel very uneasy about the idea of changing their identity and ignoring their culture/where they came from.

I honestly don't think I would ever feel like an adopted child was really my child.
WarmEye
Am I the only person who thinks adoption is unethical and occasionally just downright ridiculous? People should be allowed to know who their real parents are. It shouldn't be seen as a good thing for people to raise someone else's kid and then lie about it. How is the child supposed to know its heritage/race? What if its real family has a history of cancer or some genetic disease like Huntington's? How is it supposed to know that?

And, in the cases of international adoption...say a White American family adopts a baby from Thailand, or Nigeria, or what the **** ever. How is that family supposed to know what it's like to be a racial minority in the world? How could they possibly prepare 'their child' for the possibility of being harassed or discriminated against in the future? Plus, other people would clearly be able to tell the kid's adopted, so there's that. I'm just going to take a stab in the dark and say that being bought and shipped across the ocean, only to be raised by a bunch of rich, self-righteous hippies isn't going to go very smoothly for that kid.

As an infertile guy, I would just like to say to any other infertile people: ACCEPT YOUR INFERTILITY. Raising someone else's child does not make you a parent. You're just denying that, for some reason, you weren't meant to have children. Suck it up.

I hate that adoption is seen as 'trendy' since celebrities are doing it, so that apparently makes it a-ok to raise someone else's kids! Raise your own damn children.

So I hope you disagree with IVF as well if infertile people aren't meant to have children.

And just because people adopt, doesn't mean they don't know who their parents are. One of my closest friends was adopted, and she knows who her mother is. They don't share a particularly close bond, but they haven't know each other for long. She knows some of her family history, but has always said her adopted parents will be her real parents. I think adoption is a wonderful chance for people to look after a child that truly needs it.
WarmEye

As an infertile girl, I would like to say that I think you're being a bit of a prick. I haven't chosen to be infertile or anything and more than anything I would love to be a mother. So it's my fault I'm infertile?! Why can't I raise a child that needs loving parents? Of course adopted children and parents have a bond! Sounds cheesy, but love is something that can't be helped.
Reply 8
Why should people accept their infertility? We have the means to help these couples, so why not help them?
I agree with you on some points. I have two cousins that were adopted, one from China and one from Vietnam. Although I love them with all my heart and am so pleased that they have been given the chance to escape the poverty and horrific treatment they recieved in the orphanages I have to say that adoption is not the bed of roses everyone thinks it is.

Celebs like Madonna and Brad and Angelina have given the impression that you can just turn up in an exotic poverty stricken country, pick up a child and then they will live together happily ever after.

My cousins definitely have many issues which will probably stay with them for the rest of their lives. Firstly, I dont think anyone can ever get over the fact that their birth parents have rejected them. This has left my cousin with extreme insicurity issues right from an early age. She will do anything to get people's attemtion including being very manipulative and sometimes very cruel. God knows what she'll be like as a teenager.

Another problem she has is that she hates being 'different' from everybody around her. When she was very little one of our cousins asked her 'why do you have brown skin' and this left her inconsolable for hours. She is also very short for her age and hates photos especially when they get put in height order. She refused to be in family photos because of this.
Reply 10
iv got to say I have never read something so offensive and downright ****ing disgusting! literally made my blood boil, you clearly have no experience with adoption and thank god for that. I have been adopted since I was less than a week old I have never been lied to my parents always told me where I came from and when I reached 18 I traced my birth relatives, I know them all, I have a fantastic ond with my various half siblings and love them dearly my birth parents have never been considered parents they never have been so how do they have to right to take that role on now? I know them and thats fine. My parents raised me cared for me loved as if I was their natural child, they will always be my mum n dad and nothing will ever change that im now 21 so as for your babysitting analogy well thats just ridiculous!!!
Reply 11
All I will say is this:

It's not who brought you in to this world, its who brought you up.Thats what makes you a parent.
Original post by Anamaria90
I agree with you on some points. I have two cousins that were adopted, one from China and one from Vietnam. Although I love them with all my heart and am so pleased that they have been given the chance to escape the poverty and horrific treatment they recieved in the orphanages I have to say that adoption is not the bed of roses everyone thinks it is.

Celebs like Madonna and Brad and Angelina have given the impression that you can just turn up in an exotic poverty stricken country, pick up a child and then they will live together happily ever after.

My cousins definitely have many issues which will probably stay with them for the rest of their lives. Firstly, I dont think anyone can ever get over the fact that their birth parents have rejected them. This has left my cousin with extreme insicurity issues right from an early age. She will do anything to get people's attemtion including being very manipulative and sometimes very cruel. God knows what she'll be like as a teenager.

Another problem she has is that she hates being 'different' from everybody around her. When she was very little one of our cousins asked her 'why do you have brown skin' and this left her inconsolable for hours. She is also very short for her age and hates photos especially when they get put in height order. She refused to be in family photos because of this.

But the part in bold would be true whether or not she was subsequently adopted. Biological children can be short.
Reply 13
Original post by Anamaria90

Maybe the birth parents didnt have any choice in giving up their child.Sometimes a baby is born and has to go straight into care unfortunately.
Original post by WarmEye

I have read this once, twice, three times and I am just as shocked by what I have just read as when I first read it.

Simple blood tests could determine inherited disease and the rest of it I don't want to argue against as it mean that your views have some merit.
My friend's parents were drug addicts and kept him and his sister locked in a cupboard under the stairs. Their parents are dead now. **** you, OP.
A child is in most circumstances better off with its natural parents. Sadly in some circumstances this is not possible. I do agree with no international adoption, and I would never adopt myself, but it is in general a good thing.
Reply 18
Original post by aliphatic
Yeah sure, because all children should have to stay with their natural parents even if they're abusive drunks, can't cope, or are drug addicts. Because of course, not being with your REAL parents is sooo much more damaging than actually having a good life with people who care about you.

I soo agree with you...the OP IS SOOOOOOOOOOOO STUPID....When im older i don't care about race but im going to adopt hopefully...and to be honest blood and colour doesnt matter AT ALL...I just want to share my love and life with a innocent little child whose had a horrible start and hopefully be able to provide everything for them...i know its impossible but I WISH I COULD PROTECT ALL THE CHILDREN IN THE WORLD FROM THE CRUEL PEOPLE LIVING IN THIS WORLD...I JUST WANT TO BE A MOTHER TO ALL THE CHILDREN AND PROTECT THEM AND LOVE THEM.....oh gosh here comes the weird emotional motherly feelings again....:redface: even though im only 18 right now
Accept infertility? Yeah great idea. Because never mind they might want kids anyway and nevermind there might be kids who need a home.

:facepalm:

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending