The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

Reply 40
In my experience on AQA out of a class of 12 the 3 people expected to cruise it got As and 1 other guy did too after a lot of work, but the others didnt take it seriously enough and ended up with grades from B through D.

With a lot of reading thats actually relevant to the exams (not always the sort done) and some mock papers done to get an idea of how to phrase answers etc then its not too hard to get an A. The major problem is that as the actual papers are marked out of something like 40 rather than the 100 you can get for the module, if you drop one mark on the paper than you lose 3 from your module score, meaning a few small mistakes can be costly.

But basically it shouldnt be too hard to get a good A, and always remember that coursework is gift marks because they give you a mark scheme so all you need to do is tick the right boxes and you are guarenteed a ton of marks in the bag before you even take the other papers.
Reply 41
My best marks in my AS were for history, the other subjects i did were Biology, chemistry an psych
Reply 42
haha, I have a rather patchy record with hitory exams. With my GCSEs well the course work was OK (the combined two came to one mark of full marks) and the mocks were mixed, getting an A* in the main one and C in the sourcework. So I went and did loads of work and exam technqiue for the sourcework stuff. Come the real exam, the source ork was fine, but id fogot to revise properly the paper A... so I got a B in it depsite in practice papers wed done ad infinitum before hand I was getting near full marks. Luckly the paper B was fine, I got an A, and the thing totalled out as a high A. But I say this now, in term,s f my whole academic work, failing to achive an A* star is my biggest failure and a real kick in the teeth, especially as so many others at school did. I rectified it at AS by getting 280, in fact I got full marks in the non-sourcework paper. Actually Ive com to the conculsion that sourcework is the most annoying (and stupidly artifically) tests ever, roll on uni when we just quote sources and they trust us to be able to anaylse it naturally without going through ridiculous artifical methods.
My AS mark was low. I got 247 - scraped an A by 7 lousy marks! I blame the course essays...my exams went well (100/105 for Britain paper, 88/105 for German) but I got an overall C for the essays. It hurt. History was my lowest overall UMS score (apart from the B in General Stds, but that's not actually a subject is it!?) and yet it's always been the subject I've wanted to study at uni! Oh, the irony.
Reply 44
My AS mark was only 249 which i was really annoyed about because that's what i'm doing at uni and i need my A! i got full marks on my coursework and then a B in one of the exams and a low A in the other one. Damm source based exams. grr
My AS Mark was initally a C on AQA History, I was a bit gutted having expected an A, I scored highly on both the exam papers, but dismally on the courseworks (I think I may have gone over the word limits and generally messed up) but with a resit I dragged the overall AS Grade up to an A (just! 244/300) and now factoring in my Personal Study mark, assuming it remains unchanged I think I'm sitting on 346, leaving me 134 marks to get out of the remaining 180.
I got a U in one of my AS modules... giving me an overall C. I got an A in the A2 though :smile: Ended up with an overall A :biggrin:
Reply 47
i'm on OCR and got 266 out of 300. 2 of the three modules were high, but one of the essays i got 72, which i was quite disappointed with as i thought that went really well and the others i f**ked up. I need 215 points to get an A this year..and i think people that get A's in AS only really seriously av to f**k up A2 to not get an A. My coursework was pretty rusbbish, we had no guidance on it. so hoping for 60 marks out of 90.
Reply 48
My AS mark was disappointing - 241/300. But I've made some extra marks up this year by getting 57/60 on the coursework - which will be 114/120 UMS. I need high C's on the exams to get an A now.
Colly
You should do the Northern Ireland board (CCEA) its pretty easy, I got 294 and 2 friends got 300.

Yeah I do CCEA and I got 284/200 despite not turning up to class for about a month (when we covered a module I then got 117/120 in) or ever doing a practice sourcework before the exam. My whole class of 14 got As and they're not all particularly clever or hardworking. I think there must just be loads of easy markers! :smile:

Latest

Trending

Trending