The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

Reply 20
In terms of snooker there is a disadvantage due to height on a full size table. However, darts/pool/golf are all male games so very rare you get a father taking his little girl to the snooker club.

I play snooker at a club so they do exist. I've played for about two years. I joined the club on my own perogative having watched snooker on telly for years. It was intimidating though, I got some pretty sarcastic comments and the like, but I just kept my sense of humour and once I got to know them it was ok. I think it's a game girls should get into more as I love it but I can't see it happening. Any female players who do become good (classic example being Allison Fisher) they sod off to America where they can actually make some money (in pool).

On the point of men and women playing together though, I don't think it's that nice to watch..... it seems to only work for mixed doubles.
Reply 21
And definitely should compete against eachother in wrestling.
Is it because it could put people off? If you have female and male competitions in the sports suggested you are involving everyone from grassroots upwards.

DisgruntledMoth

To be honest, if a woman was good enough, I don't see why she should be barred from mixing in any sport. I imagine women who would be eligable for something like professional rugby would be rather on the masculine side anyway. If there was a woman who was better than other potential players, why not be on the team?

I doubt it, why settle for being an average member of the team when you can be the best? I know quite a few female rugby players and not one would like to play with the men in a serious match. Maybe they would like the money but it just isn't the same.

Admitting that women aren't as strong as men or as good at some sports isn't high treason against womanhood. It is fact.
balloon_parade

I doubt it, why settle for being an average member of the team when you can be the best? I know quite a few female rugby players and not one would like to play with the men in a serious match. Maybe they would like the money but it just isn't the same.

Admitting that women aren't as strong as men or as good at some sports isn't high treason against womanhood. It is fact.

There isn't one rule that applies to every woman in the world. I'm not saying such a woman exists, but if there was a woman who was good enough to compete in professional rugby, should she be allowed on the team? Surely the captain of the team tries to create the best teams possible, and if the best option was a woman, I think she should be allowed to play.

What about a woman who had a sex change?

Besides, I think, if anything, it would be quite the media event. Women who made it to the top level would no doubt bring in the crowds.
Reply 24
xps.systems
Hello everyone,

Often in many sports such as football and cricket there will be a men's tournament and a women's tournament. This is quite understandable because in the above sports things like height, body structure and muscularity will all affect the sports performance. It is important for the competitor to, for example, be able to bowl as fast as possible, strike the ball as hard as possible, kick as hard as possible, jump for a header, muscle a striker out of the way, etc, etc. Because there are significant differences between men and women in terms of height, body structure and muscularity there are justifiably separate tournaments for both genders.

However, why are there separate men's and women's tournaments in sports such as snooker, darts, chess, Formula 1 racing (and possibly golf - I don't think you NEED to be incrediby strong to drive off the tee - there was a 16 yr old Hawaiian girl who joined the men's tournament a few years back!). The above sports require precision, accuracy and quick reactions more than anything. And there aren't significant differences between men and women when it comes down to those variables (unlike with variables such as height, body structure and muscularity).

Do you think there need to be separate men's and women's tournaments in the above sports - and if it is justified, couldn't you extend it and inaugurate tournaments for specific age groups: e.g. 10-19, 20-29, 30-39 and also for specific ethnicities, or even for followers of a specific religious group?

Formula 1 is incredibly physical and the reactions you need are incredible (on average men have better ones). Try and strike a golfball 350m and we'll see if strenght doesn't matter (Tiger Woods averages best on par 5s because he can get to the greens in 2), if you mixed the women's and the men's tour the women would be complaining because they wouldn't have a chance (there are exeptions).

Now if you could find a woman who can compete in these two sports go ahead. For darts snooker ... I totaly agree with you :smile:
For the physical sports, I would suggest that if you are to let women play in the men's game, and I guess only the few that are good enough would want to, then you have to let the men play in the women's game to be fair. Especially in the more profitable sports.

I suppose it could be argued that there are physical elements to darts, snooker and formula 1, but I'm at a loss for chess!
Could anyone provide some proof that those sports are segregated please?

As for the person that mentioned boxing, that clearly requires strength as well no?
xps.systems
oh yep, sorry didn't mean 10-19.

But do you reckon most people would be in favour of males and females competing together in F1 racing, snooker, pool, chess, darts, golf and fencing?

Fencing is a very physical sport. A single bout can be about as tiring as a 400m race. So there is still the physical distinction there. Also in sabre especially, upper body strength does give you an advantage.

I don't know much about F1 but I think you have to have a very strong neck.

Anyway there are very few sports which aren't physical enough to make a distinction between genders, and the few which aren't I don't really consider sports.
DisgruntledMoth
There isn't one rule that applies to every woman in the world. I'm not saying such a woman exists, but if there was a woman who was good enough to compete in professional rugby, should she be allowed on the team? Surely the captain of the team tries to create the best teams possible, and if the best option was a woman, I think she should be allowed to play.

What about a woman who had a sex change?

Besides, I think, if anything, it would be quite the media event. Women who made it to the top level would no doubt bring in the crowds.

The thing is, no man would feel comfortable tackling a woman. No matter how strong or big she may actually be, it would screw up the entire dynamic of the game.
xps.systems

Infact I think that men and women could do boxing together - remember that boxing is about agility, stamina, precision and accuracy. You can't just lamp people in the stomach and punch them anywhere you want - if you do you'll be severely disciplined/disqualified!

Do you think you could box. I've only ever lost to girls in exams and not in sports, I don't think.I think that once when I was 9 years old my 21 year cousin sister bowled me at cricket but I hit a six on the next shot so I made up for it.

I've sparred women a few times in muay thai and while some are amazingly good, there is always a difference in power. there was this semi-pro 21 year old girl that was meant to be really good, but she also had quite a lot of muscles. and whatever is said, power is equally as important as speed, unless the boxing/whatever is touch contact, which most fighters (men and women) don't enjoy as much.
I've played for both womens and mens football clubs with the exception that I couldn't play in any of the F.A regulated mens matches because everyone on the books had to be male. So we'd all train together and when it came to match day our tack ticks were all caput and the team was broken up.

I've seen varying standards of physical fitness and ability in both the mens and womens clubs - you get excellent and terrible players of both genders.
Tbh I get more battering and bruises playing for womens football clubs because they're not afraid to hurt other women - the guys aren't comfortable with tackling me because it's not okay injuring a woman lol (whereas, amongst themselved they'll be rather violent if needs be). So if i'm in the mood for a competitive fair match then I'll want to play on the womens team but if I'm not in the mood to get kicked and winded but would like a civilised match then I'll kick about with the lads :yep:

One day I'd like to see mixed gender clubs as there are female players who are outstanding (and deserve a higher salary!) - that's the only reason why I focused more on my studies otherwise I would have loved to carry on with football but the money just isn't good enough.
Reply 30
I think for the ones such as F1 and golf, it's just ability. They need the competitions to be...competitive, so separating provides better competition, because, for whatever reason, the women are generally not as good as the men.

However, if the women are good enough, then they are often readily accepted into the men's competitions. OP already noted the example of Michelle Wie who entered the mens golf competition, and only last week I heard about a girl racing with the men in Formula Renault or something, she came 10th.

Latest

Trending

Trending