The Student Room Group

Sixth Form: School or College?!

I'm looking for opinions, what is prefereble? Doing A's in a school or a college. As usual my supposed "pathetic" logical thinking has led me to make a list of pro's and con's see what you think..

School:

PROS

More "silver spooned"- I mean a closer environment, more likely to be politely kicked up the rear when that essay isn't in on time. My friends experiences of colleges tell me that doesn't happen there.

More Authoretive- I'm a respect liker. I think i'd feel too 'comfortable' in a college where im calling teachers by their first names! Somehow the title 'Mr Jones' than 'Dave' implies that he knows more :s-smilie: It's a slightly wierd thing to explain I think. Maybe someone will understand me.

Uniform! I always couldn't wait to get out of uniform when I was in lower school, but non-uniform days have taught me that people seem less willing to work somehow in their own clothes! It is a proven fact apparently... And i dont want to have the added stress of having to 'look good' or follow fashion when i want to concentrate on getting some good grades! -see where I'm going with this?

COLLEGE:

PROS

Independence- obviously, you're not going to be fed for the rest of you're life are you? I guess a college would be better preperation for uni.

and quite honestly I cant think of any more... well the whole point of starting this thread really.

Scroll to see replies

Reply 1
It sounds like you have more pluses of staying at school so why don't you do that? I stayed at my school, although you could argue that its a bit different becasue its a private school. Some things did change, going into the sixth form, we are given a lot more free time and freedom, however, we still have to waer a sort of uniform (a suit). Look round the prospective college(s) you're thinking off and get other peoples advice....then write a list of fors and against for each one once again.
Good Luck!
Reply 2
I don't have a sixth form at my school, and the masses tend to all troop of to an inner city college in Notts :s-smilie: im not sure whether it's really my thing somehow. But Its deciding if I don't go there- where do I go?! I'd certainly be very unpopular if i didn't choose to follow them
Reply 3
Go where you're happiest, you are going to have to leave your friends eventually, and i'm sure you will find new ones :smile: I left my junior school at the end of year six, when all my friends, and everyone in my year was going to the same secondary school...it was a hard decision at the time whether to leave my friends or not, but i looked around the school and fell in love with it, and its the best decision i have ever made...

As my mum says you may never have met your best friend!
Reply 4
Your mum sounds rather nice!!

I am thinking about doing that actually, I have some pretty baaad, memories with people, and perhaps its refreshing and ...healthy! to get away from it all don't you think? Then there's the other side that says: You've done well so far? why don't you stick with it?
Reply 5
blue_smartie
Your mum sounds rather nice!!

I love my mummy :biggrin: :biggrin: :biggrin:

blue_smartie
I am thinking about doing that actually, I have some pretty baaad, memories with people, and perhaps its refreshing and ...healthy! to get away from it all don't you think? Then there's the other side that says: You've done well so far? why don't you stick with it?

Yeah, everyone needs a change, and its not to say that moving schools will mean never ever seeing your friends ever again! :eek: I see my friends all the time, and we have a better friendship tahn i have with some people at school, cos we don't see each other day in, day out and get annoyed with each other!
Reply 6
blue_smartie
I'm looking for opinions, what is prefereble? Doing A's in a school or a college. As usual my supposed "pathetic" logical thinking has led me to make a list of pro's and con's see what you think..

School:

PROS

More "silver spooned"- I mean a closer environment, more likely to be politely kicked up the rear when that essay isn't in on time. My friends experiences of colleges tell me that doesn't happen there.

More Authoretive- I'm a respect liker. I think i'd feel too 'comfortable' in a college where im calling teachers by their first names! Somehow the title 'Mr Jones' than 'Dave' implies that he knows more :s-smilie: It's a slightly wierd thing to explain I think. Maybe someone will understand me.

Uniform! I always couldn't wait to get out of uniform when I was in lower school, but non-uniform days have taught me that people seem less willing to work somehow in their own clothes! It is a proven fact apparently... And i dont want to have the added stress of having to 'look good' or follow fashion when i want to concentrate on getting some good grades! -see where I'm going with this?

COLLEGE:

PROS

Independence- obviously, you're not going to be fed for the rest of you're life are you? I guess a college would be better preperation for uni.

and quite honestly I cant think of any more... well the whole point of starting this thread really.

Stay at school if you can. Be honest with yourself. Focus on what you want. If it's results, stay at school. If you want to meet people, have freedom, be independent.... achieve less than your best, go to college.

Sod the uniform, discipline, other irritations. What do you want?

Aitch
Do a poll!

College! I went to an all girls' school and didn't realise how stifled I was til I got to college.. So much more open and friendly, so much more independence... and I *much* prefer calling teachers by their first names; it's a mark of "mutual respect" as we're now young adults! I just love college so much, I was so terrified of change i nearly stayed at the high school but am so glad i didn't :smile:
I believe school is a better option as you still know all your teachers and they dont judge you unlike going to college.... also you may not have better options but you can get all the help you need from someone who understands where you are coming from :smile: good luck blue_smartie with your decision... xoxo
Reply 9
I'm going through the same thing, school or college hmm. :confused:
Reply 10
Staying in school will be better as you still get use to your friends and teachers. In addition, you already get used to the teaching style It seems that not much people in my school go to college after GCSEs (only about 5 went or something like that).

If you don't have a course offered in school, I guess going to college is the choice then.
I have a place at 6th form college and I am sooooo sick of school. I can't actually imagine spending another 2 years in the same place on top of the 5 I've alreay spent there. But I can see how others stay at school. They like the security and they know it so there's nopoint in moving. Me, I want to meet new people now and get out of school now. The college I'm going to is a high performing one so I know I can do well there and I'm really looking forward to seeing some new faces.

I say do whatevers best for you, you don't need to have a reason for your decision - you just know sometimes. Go where ever you think you'll be happiest.
Reply 12
Staying for Sixth Form was the worst choice I could have made. The past two years have been painful- simply because everyone knows each other, cliques have been formed, and I'd much rather have left and started fresh. At the time I went for the easiest option, but it's become hard in the long run. I suppose it depends on your circumstances though. If a few of your friends are staying on, you might want to stay.

During Yr 11, my school hyped its Sixth Form and all its qualities, promises of adult treatment, etc. I generally find that hasn't been the case; they're used to teaching lower year pupils, a lot of them can't differenciate between how yr 7s learn and how yr 12s learn. I find that college has a much wider variety of course choices, too.
Reply 13
utu7
Staying for Sixth Form was the worst choice I could have made. The past two years have been painful- simply because everyone knows each other, cliques have been formed, and I'd much rather have left and started fresh. At the time I went for the easiest option, but it's become hard in the long run. I suppose it depends on your circumstances though. If a few of your friends are staying on, you might want to stay.

During Yr 11, my school hyped its Sixth Form and all its qualities, promises of adult treatment, etc. I generally find that hasn't been the case; they're used to teaching lower year pupils, a lot of them can't differenciate between how yr 7s learn and how yr 12s learn. I find that college has a much wider variety of course choices, too.

Besides people wanting to stay on because of their friends, environment, and teachers, it's because they don't want to travel that far to go to college. You still get taught in a similar way anyway.

For the adult treatment thing in my school, they do treat us like adults, but not as much as college though.

Most people after GCSE went to college because the school didn't offer that subject. Another reason is that they were not allowed to go to sixth form in school for some reason.
Reply 14
True. There are a lot of people who joined in sixth form because their school didn't have a sixth form, so they travel quite a way to get to my school. It must have its positive points if people are so willing, I just have failed to see them so far!
Reply 15
College.

Provides a better transition from school to uni.

And sixth form would be ****.
Reply 16
Sixth Form is the better choice out of the two.
I guess it varies and depends upon the person, just make sure you get all the information and not allow yourself to be persuaded one way without knowing what it REALLY about
I had the same problem, but the decision was actually made for me in the end because the college weren't offering AS French and my school was. Even if that hadn't been the case, I would have chosen to stay on at my school, mainly because it has smaller class sizes and I already know the teachers. I also felt my school offers much better support to its students, and after going to the college open evening, I didnt like it at all and it was as if the teachers weren't even interested in talking to you. It's a bit late now, but if you went to open days, hopefully they'll have given you a gut feeling of where you'll be happier, and if you didn't, you should still be able to arrange a tour. It sounds like you're more in favour of sixth form, but consider it all again with these points in mind, and remember that you can still change your mind up until results day if you get accepted at both like I did. Even though I do get a bit annoyed to still have assemblies and some teachers who treat you like kids, I love sixth form and I've never regretted staying on :smile:
I'm at a sith form college. I was looking into going to a school one but didn't. Perhaps its one of the best decisions made. My friend goes to a school sixth form and seems hes not learning as much as me. To be honest wherever you go you'll get on as long as you work at it. A school probably keeps you much mroe focused on your work. But at uni you won't get this kina treatment so probably best to get independent as soon as possible.

Latest