The Student Room Group

Handing out CV's - summer job

Hey guys, i'm looking for a summer job because i'm not going on a family holiday this summer so i figure now would be a good time to get one. I've been reading around and generally people say i should go round giving out CV's now and asking shops if they have any vacancies in the summer.

I started writing my CV but i noticed something that confused me. The tips say to never write a 'general' CV, always make it specific for the job. How can i do that if i'm just gonig to be gonig round asking at various stores in town?

Also i pretty much only just discovered the existance of the cover letter, do i need to write one of these to go with my CV? and what should be on it?
Write a cover letter too and put that with the CV in an envelope to give to them. Don't write a general CV, think about which stores you're going to go into, look online if they're a big franchise as to what skills and experience they want, or anticipate those, and include examples on each CV. Don't seal the envolope as they may decide to look at it and talk to you about it there and then.
So do i just do one cover letter but try to make it apply to all of the shops?
TheOneCurlyFry
So do i just do one cover letter but try to make it apply to all of the shops?

No, that should be tailored to each place you apply to. I'd say its more important to tailor your cover letter than CV, if you're only going to do one or the other. Your cover letter should summarise why you are applying, why you will be good at the job, and any other advantages (for example flexibility during the summer) and when you are available for interview.
Ok thanks, what about subway? you apply on their site and it has a box where it says 'copy and paste your CV here', do you think they expect a cover letter there or just a CV?

My CV has a very brief 'profile' part too btw

Latest

Trending

Trending