The Student Room Group

1 mini pupillage offer so far....

Hi,

I am currently in my second year at a not so good university (to be more specific a university at around 100th on the university league table). I am hoping to acheive at least a 2:1 (although working hard towards achieving a First). I have had 1 mini pupillage offer so far and i still have a number of Chambers that i should hear from within the next month or so.

I realise that my chances of actually becoming a Barrister are almost impossible. However, i was wondering if the fact that i have managed to secure a mini pupillage is any sort of indication that i may have a (very slim) chance of becoming a Barister?

Thanks in advance for any advice.

Scroll to see replies

Reply 1
Whilst it's sensible to be realistic, you shouldn't be deterred simply because of the name of your university. Chambers care more that you are genuinely committed to the Bar. That you spend your summers mashalling judges and doing mini-pupillages (essential - everyone will have them and they tend to be assessed). Or mooting, pro bono to entering essay competitions. Working like a dog to get a decent degree. Chambers also tend to be less competitive in the provinces and in certain areas of law. It's a help if a provincial Chambers is local too.

There's a high possibility you could do your BVC (scholarship or no scholarship) and not get a pupillage. Or after that not get tenancy. You can technically call yourself a 'barrister' - and you find many failed barristers doing just that - but you may not have a job. In that case you may have spent 1/2 years of your life and a ridiculous amount of money for almost nothing. You can convert, become a solicitor and you will be exempted from a lot of the LPC though. If you can't deal with the possibility of failure - as anyone entering the profession probably should - then I don't think the bar is for you. If you can, you don't know unless you apply.
ruby224
Hi,

I am currently in my second year at a not so good university (to be more specific a university at around 100th on the university league table). I am hoping to acheive at least a 2:1 (although working hard towards achieving a First). I have had 1 mini pupillage offer so far and i still have a number of Chambers that i should hear from within the next month or so.

I realise that my chances of actually becoming a Barrister are almost impossible. However, i was wondering if the fact that i have managed to secure a mini pupillage is any sort of indication that i may have a (very slim) chance of becoming a Barister?

Just learning more about how hard law is but...

:ninjagirl: I know where you study lol :ninjagirl:

Lol if you dont want to say it dont put it on your profile
Reply 3
simple answer: no just getting an offer of a mini-pupillage is no indication tat your are likely to succeed at the bar
Jennie1987
Just learning more about how hard law is but...

I know where you study lol

Lol if you dont want to say it dont put it on your profile

Kent isn't around 100th on the league tables. :s-smilie:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/University_of_Kent#League_Table_results
http://extras.timesonline.co.uk/tol_gug/gooduniversityguide.php?subject=LAW

(Unless, of course, your acronym doesn't stand for Kent.)
Reply 5
ruby224
Hi,

Unfortunately its no indication at all. If you have very good extra carrics and you do get a very good degree then you will have as good a chance as anyone else with a non oxbridge, non other russel group uni background. However so will 1000 other people in your year studying for the bar. There are only so many pupillages so you will have to take the 1:7, 1:5, 1:3 - whatever it is nowadays) lottery of actually obtaining pupillage. My advice is: if money is not a problem and you wont be dissapointed go for it come what may. If iypu will be getting into debt, don't even think about the Bar course (in whatever form it is in by then) unless you manage to secure a pupillage before you embark on it.
jismith1989
Kent isn't around 100th on the league tables. :s-smilie:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/University_of_Kent#League_Table_results
http://extras.timesonline.co.uk/tol_gug/gooduniversityguide.php?subject=LAW

(Unless, of course, your acronym doesn't stand for Kent.)

Lol I assume youre not talking to me...
Jennie1987
Lol I assume youre not talking to me...

Sorry!

But we can talk if you want. :rofl:
jismith1989
Sorry!

But we can talk if you want. :rofl:

Hmmm, so hows about that weather we're having :erm: lol
Jennie1987
Hmmm, so hows about that weather we're having lol

It's nice, isn't it? Are you free next Wednesday? :ninja:
jismith1989
It's nice, isn't it? Are you free next Wednesday? :ninja:

I thought we already had plans?
Jennie1987
I thought we already had plans?

Yeah, well, I'm going to have to call them off. I've just seen your profile photo: I was expecting someone a little older! :eek:
jismith1989
Yeah, well, I'm going to have to call them off. I've just seen your profile photo: I was expecting someone a little older! :eek:

:rofl: Im older than you
Jennie1987
Im older than you

In that case, bring your sleeping bag. :hubba:
Are you really flirting on TSR Legal? Really?

What will you tell your grandchildren when they ask you how you've met?
Evil_Genius

God no! Hes far too young (sorry) but I just cant leave a post unanswered :sad: or cruelly answered.

Plus I would resent the whole law background
Uh-oh just realised the verbal kicking Ill get for the law background comment *braces defensively*
Jennie1987
God no! Hes far too young (sorry) but I just cant leave a post unanswered or cruelly answered.

Plus I would resent the whole law background

Evil_Genius

Well, I was, at least. :ninja:

I guess the grandkids will have to wait. :rofl:
jismith1989
Well, I was, at least. :ninja:

I guess the grandkids will have to wait. :rofl:

Lol well the kids will be disappointed, Manfred, Missy, Jimbob, Ethel-Lou and Abraham III
Reply 19
Thanks for the advice guys. I am hoping that i will be able to pay for the BVC myself so that is not a problem. I am willing to give it a go regardless of my slim chances and i am prepared for the outcome of not actually getting anywhere in the end but i am very determined and think it is worth a try even if i only have a slight chance.

As for Kent i forgot that was still on there i went there for my first year to do Politic and IR and then changed courses and unis. So i am not there anymore and my current uni is definatly near the 100 mark, i checked.