The Student Room Group
Reply 1
The HR and managers I have spoken to have said they are respected the same amount. I created a thread a little while back about exactly this. TSRs search function is playing up at the moment but it should have "msc meng" in the title.

edit: here it is: http://www.thestudentroom.co.uk/showthread.php?p=15023015#post15023015
Reply 2
Isn't really a difference in terms of level of qualification as far as I can tell. Advantages of a MEng; it will be cheaper and you'll graduate quicker. An MSc might allow you to specialize in a favored topic of yours.
Reply 3
Msc is one year, MEng is not quicker...It wont be cheaper for sure, it will depend on if you get a maintenance grant - if you receive it it will be cheaper, if you dont then MSc can turn out to be cheaper because they give out scholarships for good BEng degrees. The specialization in a topic is true.
Reply 4
Yep I see where your coming from, thats exactly what i was considering. But also the added benefit of an MSc is that you will get 2 qualifications an BEng and a MSc, also if doing the MSc at a better and more reputable uni would also make a difference with the job prospects. The thread link was very helpful with the question. thanks for that
Reply 5
An MSc is longer in the context it would take from starting university to achieve it. The MEng is 4 uni years of Study, an MSc is 3 uni years of study plus a calendar year of study.

An MEng is undergraduate, so it is roughly £3000 a year to undertake. An MSc is 3 years of £3000 a year (achieving your bachelors), followed by a year of postgraduate study, which tends to cost a bit more unless you can find sponsorship - rare at MSc level.

Although I appreciate the OP is in his 3rd year now so that point is pretty irrelevant.
Reply 6
Benny_b
An MSc is longer in the context it would take from starting university to achieve it. The MEng is 4 uni years of Study, an MSc is 3 uni years of study plus a calendar year of study.

An MEng is undergraduate, so it is roughly £3000 a year to undertake. An MSc is 3 years of £3000 a year (achieving your bachelors), followed by a year of postgraduate study, which tends to cost a bit more unless you can find sponsorship - rare at MSc level.

Although I appreciate the OP is in his 3rd year now so that point is pretty irrelevant.

Please check out postgrad tuition on some websites like Cranfield Loughborough or Manchester and you will see tuition is the same :smile: http://www.lboro.ac.uk/admin/ar/funding/pg/fees/2009/index.htm differences is something like 400 pounds and you are far more likely to get a scholarship.
sponsorship is much easier to be gotten at Msc level because you are likely to have done a placement year and the company liked you and gave you money for MSc/you have gotten a graduate job with BEng and your boss has sent you to do a MSc with much funding.
please give arguments when you are trying to state something :smile:
Wow! This was 9 years ago I don't know if I will get a reply but...Would it be better to MEng or do a sandwich year in an industrial placement? Which one will give you a better chance of getting a job?
Neither. Only 49% of engineering graduates go on to work in engineering. Lots of competition for jobs. Best chance is to find a different career before you waste several years of your life finding this out for yourself.
Reply 9
Original post by Bigman_IA7
Wow! This was 9 years ago I don't know if I will get a reply but...Would it be better to MEng or do a sandwich year in an industrial placement? Which one will give you a better chance of getting a job?

Many universities offer an MEng with a year in industry.

Posted from TSR Mobile

Latest