The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

Reply 20
Does anybody have any organic chemistry revision notes??? We just practically missed all the organic bits out...my teacher is soo crap.
Reply 21
Ill type some up later when Ive finished buffer solutions..
Why 'Not sure' for the reactions with UV light
Reply 23
beause that's an alcohol, how do you know how the free radicals will react with that?
StyleLover
Why 'Not sure' for the reactions with UV light

where's your answer then!
:vmad:
er---wat answer?! M i supposed to answer sumthing?! :confused:
Widowmaker
(a) CH3CH2CH2CH3 reacting with Cl2 in the presence of UV light
CH3CH2CH2CH3 + Cl2 --> CH3CH(Cl)CH(Cl)CH3
Free radical substitution, so product is 2,3-dichlorobutane.

(b) CH3CH(CH3)CH3 reacting with Cl2 in the presence of UV light
CH3CH2CH2CH3 + Cl2 --> CH3CH(Cl)CH(Cl)CH3
Free radical substitution, so product is 2,3-dichlorobutane.

Are you sure that's right because it looks like addition rather than substitution?

Isn't it just:
CH3CH2CH2CH3 + Cl2  HCl + C4H9ClCH_3CH_2CH_2CH_3 \ + \ Cl_2 \ \rightarrow \ HCl \ + \ C_4H_9Cl
endeavour
Are you sure that's right because it looks like addition rather than substitution?

Isn't it just:
CH3CH2CH2CH3 + Cl2  HCl + C4H9ClCH_3CH_2CH_2CH_3 \ + \ Cl_2 \ \rightarrow \ HCl \ + \ C_4H_9Cl

oh yeah, i always get mixed up.
It's my own fault for trying to answer too many questions. I was doing chemistry all day when I typed that.
Reply 28
Question-
on a mark scheme, it says u can dehydrate ethanol to form ethene- what conditions are needed? and can this happen to all alcohols (does it depent on whether they are primary, secondary or tertiary??
perkyDani
Question-
on a mark scheme, it says u can dehydrate ethanol to form ethene- what conditions are needed? and can this happen to all alcohols (does it depent on whether they are primary, secondary or tertiary??

Primary alcohol: CH3CH2OH ---> CH2=CH2 + H2O
Secondary alcohol: CH3CH(OH)CH3 --> CH3CH=CH2 + H2O
Tertiary alcohol: (CH3)2C(OH)CH3 --> (CH3)2C=CH2 + H2O

Primary and secondary alcohols
Reagent: Concentrated H2SO4
Conditions: Heat (under reflux)

Tertiary alcohols
Reagent: None
Conditions: Heat (under reflux)
Reply 30
Hi

How would you draw the structural formula for Buta-1,3-diene . I've had a stab at it, but I have a feeling it's wrong. Diene means two double bonds right? :confused:
abbasi
Hi

How would you draw the structural formula for Buta-1,3-diene . I've had a stab at it, but I have a feeling it's wrong. Diene means two double bonds right? :confused:

yep that's right, see attached (this is how I'd draw it)
My edexcel book says it's CH2=CHCH=CH3 but is clearly wrong. How can you have 5 bonds on a carbon atom?
Reply 32
Widowmaker
yep that's right, see attached (this is how I'd draw it)
My edexcel book says it's CH2=CHCH=CH3 but is clearly wrong. How can you have 5 bonds on a carbon atom?

Thanks Widowmaker. Your diagram is a lot more clearer than mine! :smile:
And you're right about CH2=CHCH=CH3. That would appear to be wrong (the last Carbon having 5 bonds).
hello people, this may seem like a stupid question, but how do you know which way the arrows go in a hess cycle.

thanks
gordon2002
hello people, this may seem like a stupid question, but how do you know which way the arrows go in a hess cycle.

thanks

depends on whether you're using enthalpy of formation/enthalpy of combustion values
Reply 35
*girlie*
Does anybody have any organic chemistry revision notes??? We just practically missed all the organic bits out...my teacher is soo crap.

Go here http://www.wbateman.demon.co.uk/asa2sums/sum2.2/sum2.2.htm
Reply 36
this is a unit 1 question ( couldnt find forum for this thread)

why do melting points differ between simple molecular subtances , which are bonded by van der waals?

in some books it says due to increase atom size and thus nuclear charge. but in other books and in 1 mark scheme it says, the greater number of electrons the more stronger van der waals therefore greater melting pt

could some1 clear this point up plz
raam001584
this is a unit 1 question ( couldnt find forum for this thread)

why do melting points differ between simple molecular subtances , which are bonded by van der waals?

in some books it says due to increase atom size and thus nuclear charge. but in other books and in 1 mark scheme it says, the greater number of electrons the more stronger van der waals therefore greater melting pt

could some1 clear this point up plz

The van der waals forces are affected by the number of protons and electrons in each atom in a molecule.
Reply 38
so is it number of protons and electrons that affect size of van der waals? or just electrons
yes if it is group 7

Latest