The Student Room Group

The Engineers Moan Thread

First off I just want to point out that on the whole I find my course enjoyable and a good challenge.

However, like all Engineers I'm sure at times the challenge gets a bit to much, and or our motivation drops and we all want to moan a bit. And right now, that is exactly how I'm feeling! Horrific amounts of coursework, job interviews I'm not prepared for and with exams on the horizon I can't say I'm feeling particularly positive at the moment.

So who studying engineering is in a similar position, or has been in a similar position?
I'm sure some of you have; in my lectures every other conversation is moaning about something to do with the course!

Ben

Scroll to see replies

Reply 1
I've considered studying Engineering... possibly Electrical/Electronic or Chemical...

Are you studying Mechanical? Civil?

What are the demotivating factors? Is there far too much Mathematics? THe workload must be structured from 9am - 5pm of lectures and labs...

Are you in the first year?
Well I'm studying architectural engineering, does that count?
Reply 3
I never moan, doesnt mean im perfect, but im sure i will soon.
Reply 4
I have 4 weeks until my exams start. I'd be fine if we didn't have 2 weeks of lectures still to do, coursework due in each week for the next 3 weeks and job interviews that I just haven't got the time for. NIGHTMARE.
Reply 5
I have an exam this time next week on a subject I haven't touched.. :/
Reply 6
I will moan next year when companies start rejecting me for placement years. Everything else is doable, courseworks are great, I hate the exams but still doable and for a short period of time :smile:
Reply 7
Don't use this thread as a means to judge whether or not to study engineering!
I'm in my second year and I do enjoy it. However just like with everything in the world there are times when you just can't be bothered. Applies to every other course and my mates on other courses completely different have there own moments.

Anyway I shouldn't be on here I should be doing work....damn you TSR.
Benny_b
Don't use this thread as a means to judge whether or not to study engineering!
I'm in my second year and I do enjoy it. However just like with everything in the world there are times when you just can't be bothered. Applies to every other course and my mates on other courses completely different have there own moments.

Anyway I shouldn't be on here I should be doing work....damn you TSR.

Haha me too! Laziness.. Mondays are not cool.
Reply 9
Benny_b
First off I just want to point out that on the whole I find my course enjoyable and a good challenge.

However, like all Engineers I'm sure at times the challenge gets a bit to much, and or our motivation drops and we all want to moan a bit. And right now, that is exactly how I'm feeling! Horrific amounts of coursework, job interviews I'm not prepared for and with exams on the horizon I can't say I'm feeling particularly positive at the moment.

So who studying engineering is in a similar position, or has been in a similar position?
I'm sure some of you have; in my lectures every other conversation is moaning about something to do with the course!

Ben

Haha wow that sounds like me, except replace the ob interview with boyfriend troubles and scholarship presentations and I'm sure we'll be feeling the same.

I have had 4 assignments due this week, 3 are due tomorrow and I'm only half way through all of them, even though I know that they are important I can't seem to pull myself out of Deannaland where all I do is mope about my boyfriend.

Oh and it probably doesn't help that I find the courses I am doing completely boring
Reply 10
Deanna19
Haha wow that sounds like me, except replace the ob interview with boyfriend troubles and scholarship presentations and I'm sure we'll be feeling the same.

I have had 4 assignments due this week, 3 are due tomorrow and I'm only half way through all of them, even though I know that they are important I can't seem to pull myself out of Deannaland where all I do is mope about my boyfriend.

Oh and it probably doesn't help that I find the courses I am doing completely boring

You think you just made bad module choices then?
I'm a little bit calmer now after my original messages! Had my interview which went ok to good so fingers crossed! Just got to plough through the work now.

Think your cw must be due in soon so if you read this before its handed in, get off tsr!
Reply 11
Benny_b
You think you just made bad module choices then?
I'm a little bit calmer now after my original messages! Had my interview which went ok to good so fingers crossed! Just got to plough through the work now.

Think your cw must be due in soon so if you read this before its handed in, get off tsr!

At the uni I go to our courses are basically chosen for us.
Advanced Engineering Math
Analysis of Structures
Materials and Processes
and I'm repeating Physics...bore

haha yes mum I'm doing them now 1 to go
Reply 12
Haha damn right!
Sounds like first year modules? Only up from there in terms of interest I suppose!
Hi, im currently an A level student, hoping to start Civil Eng in cardiff this September (assuming I get AAB this summer.)

How much more difficult do you all find the work in comparison to your A levels? I'm rather good at mechanics if I may say so lol, and although I'm still aiming for a high A in my core, i find that slightly harder (especially differentating and integration which i understand there is a lot of?)

Thx.
Reply 14
The work obviously gets more difficult as does the workload but thats no different from what you've already experienced i.e. GCSE to A-Level or whatever qualifications you've done.

There's alot of Core Maths, and as you progress through the years all the Core stuff will turn into applied maths such is the nature of Engineering. For example I studied vector calculus last semester, and now this semester I'm applying it to Aerodynamics.

Mechanics will be useful in Statics and Dynamics based modules. You'll quickly learn methods of structural analysis in Civil Eng that will be based on mechanics principles such as moments etc.

Hope thats useful! Not sure your post had enough moaning for my liking either.
Reply 15
Last minute merchant here, it always seems to pile up but I always get it done in time. Honestly I find quite alot of the stuff a bit of a bore, still don't know if engineering is for me, but I think I'm going to stick with it.
Reply 16
I wanna have a moan about how the ******** department decides to load up 6 lab reports and 3 assignments onto us 4 weeks before exams, and some of them haven't even been set yet! this hapenned in january too and it gave me like 3 days to revise!!!
Reply 17
carrotboy
I wanna have a moan about how the ******** department decides to load up 6 lab reports and 3 assignments onto us 4 weeks before exams, and some of them haven't even been set yet! this hapenned in january too and it gave me like 3 days to revise!!!

same
although i have 5 assignments, but I might only get 2 weeks proper revision time for 6 exams, which are really close together.
Reply 18
MrGreedy
same
although i have 5 assignments, but I might only get 2 weeks proper revision time for 6 exams, which are really close together.

yeah. u first year?
Reply 19
carrotboy
yeah. u first year?

yeh, i'm guessing you are too?

Latest

Trending

Trending