The Student Room Group
Founders Building, Royal Holloway
Royal Holloway
Egham
Visit website

Post a Question about RHUL and We will answer...

I'm bored of seeing loads of threads repeating questions etc

So if you have any worry or question etc about rhul, accommodation, subjects, nightlife etc then
post here and whoever answers can quote you so you know its been replied to

Happy to answer anything...

Scroll to see replies

Reply 1
I might end up putting it down as one of my 5 choices, but I'm definitely going to make sure I go to an open day first.

I'm interested mainly in doing History (if I can get a good enough grade), but Geography is also a possibilty.

I couldn't seem to find the entry requirements for these courses on the website (sorry if Im being lazy I'm sure there on there). But I'm guessing its AAB for single honours history?

How is the history department there? I've heard the library isn't very good :s-smilie:

Any general info would be appreciated, these are pretty stupid questions tbh :P

Founders Building, Royal Holloway
Royal Holloway
Egham
Visit website
Reply 2
DrGonzo

I couldn't seem to find the entry requirements for these courses on the website (sorry if Im being lazy I'm sure there on there). But I'm guessing its AAB for single honours history?

It is AAB.

How is the history department there? I've heard the library isn't very good :s-smilie:

History department is pretty good, one of the best within the London collegiate given how wide ranging the course is (lots of choice although when you come to choose modules, you're not guaranteed your first choice, it's all down to luck etc). The library isn't brilliant for History that's for sure. From what I've heard through people who did the BA there, they were told that after their first year they were going to have to use Central London for resources. Sounds alright in principle but Senate House isn't actually that good and with an increased number of people using the BL, it's getting harder to get a seat at certain times!
What do students think of their Physics department?
Reply 4
Xenomorph v2.1
What do students think of their Physics department?

I knew one guy doing physics who said enjoyed it when I last spoke to him about his course. It's not very big, but it looks decent when I go there for English seminars. I don't think I've ever seen a girl inside the Physics building that I didn't recognise from English.
What are the job opportunities like, and as a rough estimate, how many students do you think go for them? Are first years really that arsed about getting jobs or do they generally go to second/third years?
Reply 6
Princess_Betty
What are the job opportunities like, and as a rough estimate, how many students do you think go for them? Are first years really that arsed about getting jobs or do they generally go to second/third years?

Bar working for the uni itself (bar work, college shop work etc) Egham itself doesn't offer a massive amount of jobs I would say - I've been here almost a year and can't say I've seen anyone advertise on the highstreet for any jobs going (but then again with current economic climate rubbish, that's not a massive surprise)

Staines would be a better choice for jobs, unless you want pub work which Egham can provide a lot of. Train fare to Staines is only £1.90 (except in rush hour but this wouldn't be a problem if you were working after 10 or at weekends) so it's not like you'd lose even your first hour of pay on getting there.
Princess_Betty

there are quite a lot of job opportunities considering egham is a small town. the su and the uni employ students for various jobs (the college pays better than the su) and at the beggining of the year various jobs were advertised, if you want a job its more about getting it sorted asap as they will probably go fast
Reply 8
I have several questions:
1) What is Economics department like? my program is BSc
2) If I apply for accomodation in mid-May, will they give me my 2nd or 3rd choice?
3) Is the campus as stunning as in pictures? :smile:
4) Are international students prioritised while allocating them in accomodations?
5) Is it true that Kingwoods are rather bad?
Thanks =)
Reply 9
subscribes
Reply 10
I was just wondering does anyone ever commute to Bracknell for weekend work, and if so how much is the train fare likely to be?
Reply 11
Arailym
2) If I apply for accomodation in mid-May, will they give me my 2nd or 3rd choice?
4) Are international students prioritised while allocating them in accomodations?
Thanks =)

1) not really sure. my flatmates often have tests and they have to do quite a bit of maths, but they don't seem to think it's that difficult.

2) I think it's first-come-first-served, so the earlier you apply the more chance you have of getting your first choice.

3) Founder's is stunning, yeah. More so than in pictures. The rest isn't ugly but it's nothing special.

4) no clue. I know international first-years in halls and those out of halls.

5) no. Kingswood is a bit further from campus but because of that it has its own social scene, so most people from there know/like each other. It looks like a good place to make friends.
Reply 12
I can't be bothered to get a job. How easy will it be for me to survive at RHUL?
Reply 13
I can't be bothered to get a job. How easy will it be for me to survive at RHUL?

Glad to see this post has picked up some responses :smile:

Erm i haven't got a job at rhul and have finished my first year apart from the exams in a few weeks.
Its not that hard but you just have to be careful what you spend on.

If you can get a grant then you should be totally fine, but if not then student overdraft (£1250) and my left over student loan has kept me going fine, and i've been skiing with some of the money as well :biggrin:

Depends where your staying for food prices, if your self catered then it depends on what you eat, if your in founders then about £4 a day and you will get two good cooked meals for that, Veg meat and chips on each.

If your worried about not being able to go out much then don't be cause i've been out a lot and haven't got a job, now id like one but its not essential there's plenty of cheap alcohol solutions.
Reply 14
Arailym
Thanks =)

1) I have 3 friends who do economics, they seem to have tests every half term or so , what they have to get 25% or more in (cause 25% is seen as a reasonable effort)
You have to go to lectures but they dont have sign in sheets in the lectures but do in the seminars so you have to go to them.
They get set a few essays, but less than some subjects, however from what ive seen they do more assessed ones during the year compared to other subjects.
2) First come first serve on accommodation so apply as soon as possible
3) Campus i think is pretty amazing, plenty of green space whats always good for a kick about and perfect for snowdays. Theres a pond and the little forest/wood area what you walk through, thats nice. And theres loads of hidden fields what arent really hidden but you dont know they are there til you stumble along them.
4) Yeah they have a priority in some of the newer halls, theres a hall just for koreans i think but im not sure, theres defiantly a international accommodation block though.
5) Ive heard its a real good laugh but ive never been there so you might be cut off a bit and it means getting up earlier for lectures...
Reply 15
when do we apply for the bursaries and what is there deadline
Is there an ice rink near RHUL? I vaguely recollect hearing that there's one in Staines, and there's one in Windsor but is that open all year round? It's a bit of an odd question but I don't have an ice rink where I live so I never get to go!
Reply 17

depends what you're paying for, how much you drink/go out/go home etc etc. a pint is around £3 off-campus and £2-£2.50 on, double vodka and coke maybe £3? you'll want around £30/week to eat nicely but you can manage on a lot less. going into London costs £7ish for a travelcard. going home costs some people a lot, but less if you book in advance.

you start with £4900, and that's a lot of money if you're not paying for your accomodation. if you're paying for the whole thing yourself you might have more of a problem, especially with a 12-month lease in second and third year, but if not you won't have to worry much about budgets etc.
Reply 18
Thanks a lot =)

Quick Reply

Latest