The Student Room Group
Founders Building, Royal Holloway
Royal Holloway
Egham
Visit website

Post a Question about RHUL and We will answer...

Scroll to see replies

Hi,
I wasn't able to attend the open days as I live in another country. I haven't made up my mind yet on which hall I want to apply to because I'm confused. I see it being mentioned that there is a "common room" or "TV room." What I wanted to know is that will this be in all flats or just one room in the whole block? And is there a TV in all flats? If so, what provider?

Also, when I arrive, I will have big bags and I was wondering if there'll be enough space for me to put my bags in my room or is there a seperate place where the bags can be put?

Apart from the accomodation fees, I wanted to know how much will I spend on average per week? or rather how much does an average student spend per week?

I want an en-suite room with a double bed and self-catered and apparently the ones that I have to choose between are Williamson, Tuke, Highfield Court, Gowar and Wedderburn. Could someone please tell me the differences in the above halls. I can't seem to decide which one I should go for so a breakdown of the pros and cons would be nice.

Also, I was wondering if anyone has gone to places with Proscenium. If so, what's your feedback?
Founders Building, Royal Holloway
Royal Holloway
Egham
Visit website
Hi,

Don't know if anyone can help....

I have already firmed Holloway for History and International Relations.

I am not sure yet and still need to think but was wondering about the possibility of changing to straight Politics and International Relations, just wondering if this was at all possible and how I would go about it - would I be able to change after results day or, when is the latest that you can change, if at all possible?

Many thanks!
Original post by MrJack_ONeill
Hi,

Don't know if anyone can help....

I have already firmed Holloway for History and International Relations.

I am not sure yet and still need to think but was wondering about the possibility of changing to straight Politics and International Relations, just wondering if this was at all possible and how I would go about it - would I be able to change after results day or, when is the latest that you can change, if at all possible?

Many thanks!

Hi there,

You can contact the Admissions Office on +44 (0)1784 414944 or email [email protected]. They'll let you know if you can do a transfer into another course. It is much better to do it sooner than later!

Best of luck,

Emily
How many sorts of 'balls' are there are RHUL? Christmas balls, Summer balls etc? And what is the dress code generally like - formal, I imagine, but how formal? I have a quite fancy red maxi mermaid dress that I was originally going to wear to my Year 13 prom but it needs to be altered and I can't be bothered to right now and have found a replacement. What do girls typically wear to the Christmas balls, if there is such a thing? Maxi dresses? Thanks
HI

I am a fresher starting in September 2015. I notice term starts 21 September ( a Monday). Do freshers arrive the weekend befor (19/20 September), or do they have a special earlier week as in many other universities? Just trying to sort out my diary.
Original post by ChocChip96
HI

I am a fresher starting in September 2015. I notice term starts 21 September ( a Monday). Do freshers arrive the weekend befor (19/20 September), or do they have a special earlier week as in many other universities? Just trying to sort out my diary.

Hi there,

21 September is the start of Welcome Week. New undergraduate students are due to arrive on Saturday 19 September (if they are moving into our campus halls of residences).

Teaching then starts on the week commencing 28 September.

I hope that helps!

Emily
Reply 4066
Hi do royal holloway accept second year transfers????
Original post by Rajnu
Hi do royal holloway accept second year transfers????

Hi there,

Sometimes, but it depends on the department year on year. For the most accurate answer, I recommend getting in touch with our Admissions Office at [email protected] or by giving them a call on +44 (0)1784 414944.

Best wishes,

Emily
Hi, I've just finished first year at royal holloway and can't seem to find the grade boundaries ! What is a 2:1 and a 1:1 boundary for overall modules? Because 75 was a 1:1 for exams and coursework individually, so is it the same for when they're combine? - this is for psychology (: x

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by cristimay
Hi, I've just finished first year at royal holloway and can't seem to find the grade boundaries ! What is a 2:1 and a 1:1 boundary for overall modules? Because 75 was a 1:1 for exams and coursework individually, so is it the same for when they're combine? - this is for psychology (: x

Posted from TSR Mobile

It should be 70 for a 1st, anything below is a 2.1. The psychology dept.'s strange method of giving 75 as the 'lowest' possible mark as a first doesn't mean that 75 is the grade boundary, although I can see why you might have thought that.

(Also, as a note for future- '1.1.' isn't a thing. :tongue: )
Original post by llacerta
It should be 70 for a 1st, anything below is a 2.1. The psychology dept.'s strange method of giving 75 as the 'lowest' possible mark as a first doesn't mean that 75 is the grade boundary, although I can see why you might have thought that.

(Also, as a note for future- '1.1.' isn't a thing. :tongue: )

Awesome thank you!!
And oh crap haha I still don't know how anything works, oops!

Posted from TSR Mobile
I know that I will sound and look bad if I ask this but I think I might get something like CDC for my A Level results... I am thinking of going on clearing and I am desperately hoping to get into Royal Holloway. I am wondering if I could be considered... No matter if the answer has to be harsh... It would be great if I could be given any advice on this matter...
(edited 8 years ago)
Original post by DennyLeeLovesArt
I know that I will sound and look bad if I ask this but I think I might get something like CDC for my A Level results... I am thinking of going on clearing and I am desperately hoping to get into Royal Holloway. I am wondering if I could be considered... No matter if the answer has to be harsh... It would be great if I could be given any advice on this matter...

Hello there,

Firstly please don't worry as you never know, you could have done a lot better than you think! Which subject are you interested in applying to?

However, I'm sorry to let you know that we are not at all likely to accept anyone with CCD during Clearing. Nonetheless, I recommend you take a look at what our standard offer is for the programme you may be interested in applying to and if you miss those requirements narrowly (i.e. drop a grade or perhaps even two) then it is worth giving us a call to see if we have any spaces left and can accept you via Clearing.

Best of luck with your results!

Emily
Original post by Royal Holloway, University of London
Hello there,

Firstly please don't worry as you never know, you could have done a lot better than you think! Which subject are you interested in applying to?

However, I'm sorry to let you know that we are not at all likely to accept anyone with CCD during Clearing. Nonetheless, I recommend you take a look at what our standard offer is for the programme you may be interested in applying to and if you miss those requirements narrowly (i.e. drop a grade or perhaps even two) then it is worth giving us a call to see if we have any spaces left and can accept you via Clearing.

Best of luck with your results!

Emily

Hi... Thanks for the reply. I do appreciate the fact that clearing itself is a competitive subject. I heard that the requirements for international students are slightly lower I am wondering what could be the minimum boundary for an offer. I really love the course, Finance and Mathematics itself and I had a look on the website in detail on the things that I will learn, the graduates'profiles, destinations and the jobs that would suit those who took the course. Being an overseas student, I took IELTS and achieved 7.0 in writing and 6.5 in all remaining components. I have a personal statement which describes how keen I am in mathematics and how I am willing to be engaged into the course. I am wondering if getting B in Mathematics would help. As my conbination, I studied Mathematics, Further Mathematics and Art & Design. I would be so grateful if you could be so kind as to give me any possible advices. I have many reasons for hoping to join Royal Holloway;it is not only the fact that Royal Holloway is an hourable place and proud to be a part of. I have a friend, Fumiya Kawaguchi, who currently is attending Royal Holloway, who kindly encouraged me and told me thoughts on how great Royal Holloway is to be at. Please do reply at your best convenience .

Yours Sincerely,

Denny
Hi... Thanks for the reply. I do appreciate the fact that clearing itself is a competitive subject. I heard that the requirements for international students are slightly lower I am wondering what could be the minimum boundary for an offer. I really love the course, Finance and Mathematics itself and I had a look on the website in detail on the things that I will learn, the graduates'profiles, destinations and the jobs that would suit those who took the course. Being an overseas student, I took IELTS and achieved 7.0 in writing and 6.5 in all remaining components. I have a personal statement which describes how keen I am in mathematics and how I am willing to be engaged into the course. I am wondering if getting B in Mathematics would help. As my conbination, I studied Mathematics, Further Mathematics and Art & Design. I would be so grateful if you could be so kind as to give me any possible advices. I have many reasons for hoping to join Royal Holloway;it is not only the fact that Royal Holloway is an hourable place and proud to be a part of. I have a friend, Fumiya Kawaguchi, who currently is attending Royal Holloway, who kindly encouraged me and told me thoughts on how great Royal Holloway is to be at. Please do reply at your best convenience .

Yours Sincerely,

Denny

Hi Denny,

Thanks for your message. It's good to see how keen you are to apply to Royal Holloway.

As you do not yet have your grades, I strongly recommend you try to set your mind at ease as you may have done better than you thought. Once you have your grades, do give us a call on our Clearing number +441784 772455 and we will be able to advise you a lot better once we have your full academic profile and actual grades. Your IELTS grades are very good, so hopefully your A-levels will also be what you want!

Our Finance and Maths course also requires an A in Maths. So if you get ABC then you have a stronger chance of getting into Clearing than with CCD.

I hope that helps,

Emily
Dear Ms (Emily) Moore(?)

I thank you for your kind replies.

I do apologise for bothering you outside the UCAS channel.

I absolutely understand that Royal Holloways is a prestigious place for those who deserve it.

Hopefully, my A Level results will turn out better than expected.

I know this will not be easy but I think it is worth giving your university a call as this is the place I am most hoping to be at.

I do look forward to contacting Royal Holloway in the near future to tell how keen I am about both the university and the course, Finance and Mathematics itself.

I again do appreciate your kind responses to my enquiries.

Yours Sincerely and Kindest Regards,

Denny
Dear Ms (Emily) Moore(?)

I thank you for your kind replies.

I do apologise for bothering you outside the UCAS channel.

I absolutely understand that Royal Holloways is a prestigious place for those who deserve it.

Hopefully, my A Level results will turn out better than expected.

I know this will not be easy but I think it is worth giving your university a call as this is the place I am most hoping to be at.

I do look forward to contacting Royal Holloway in the near future to tell how keen I am about both the university and the course, Finance and Mathematics itself.

I again do appreciate your kind responses to my enquiries.

Yours Sincerely and Kindest Regards,

Denny

Hi Denny,

That's not a problem, I am happy to help. Do give us a call on the 13 August and one of our Clearing advisers will be able to help you once we know your confirmed grades.

And haha - no I'm sorry to say that Emily Moore no longer works at the university. I am another Emily, there are quite a few of us here!

Best wishes,

Emily C
Hi Denny,

That's not a problem, I am happy to help. Do give us a call on the 13 August and one of our Clearing advisers will be able to help you once we know your confirmed grades.

And haha - no I'm sorry to say that Emily Moore no longer works at the university. I am another Emily, there are quite a few of us here!

Best wishes,

Emily C

I see... it is just that I wanted to be a bit more polite☺

Thank you Ms Collins. Hopefully I will get to talk to you in the near future.😊
Hi Denny,

Best wishes,

Emily C

Dear Ms Collins

I have been checking UCAS clearing vacancies everyday and today I noticed that Royal Holloway disappeard on the list for the vacancy search for Finance and Mathematics. This made me worry a lot and until now I am still concerned about it.

It would be helpful if you would check for me if the course is either nearly full or completely full.

I do thank you for your kind to my enquiries.

Yours Sincerely

Denny
Dear Ms Collins

I have been checking UCAS clearing vacancies everyday and today I noticed that Royal Holloway disappeard on the list for the vacancy search for Finance and Mathematics. This made me worry a lot and until now I am still concerned about it.

It would be helpful if you would check for me if the course is either nearly full or completely full.

I do thank you for your kind to my enquiries.

Yours Sincerely

Denny

Hi Denny,

At the moment UCAS are only displaying the Clearing Vacancy listing for Scottish universities. English Clearing Vacancy listings will display again from 6pm next Wednesday 12 August, so please look at it then to find out if our Finance and Maths course will be in Clearing. I'm afraid I cannot confirm with you at this stage which of our programmes will or won't be in Clearing.

Also, I'm not Emily Collins either I'm afraid! You can just call me Emily.

Best,

Emily

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending