The Student Room Group
Founders Building, Royal Holloway
Royal Holloway
Egham
Visit website

Post a Question about RHUL and We will answer...

Scroll to see replies

Reply 60
AdrianaSH
Hi everyone! I am about to start my fresher year at RHUL and I'm really excited. I have some questions I would like to ask, so I'll be thankful if you could help me.So:
1. Is it possible to have any problems with cracked software? I have a laptop, but I have some programs on it, which are cracked, not the originals bought from the store, so I was wondering if whe I get connected to the University network I could get in trouble.
4.How much approximately my life costs will be per month? I know it differs from one person to another, but what is the average amount I should be preared for?
5. Is it a normal thing to go to London from time to time, or most people prefer to stay around? I have some friends in Warwick who have gone to London like twice for a year.
6. Are there some good shops in the area? And is there a supermarket on campus?
7. Is there an equivalent of the american freternities and sororities in the UK? I have always wanted to know.

1. it should be fine, i've not had any problems.

2/3 no clue but people in founders normally appear clean.

4. really does differ according to what you eat/drink/smoke and where and how much you like to go out. minimum 60/week i'd say though i'm sure people have done it on far less and you can easily spend a lot more.

5. yes most people go to london quite a bit for museums, gigs, galleries, clubbing, theatre etc. it depends on your friends and your interests as to how much you'll go but if you don't live near london at home you'd be a fool not to.

6. there are no good shops in the area and there is not a supermarket on campus, though they'll deliver to campus. there are some ok shops in Staines including a couple of supermarkets, some nicer shops in Windsor, and anything you could want in London.

7. there's not really a greek system here though there's a lot of societies etc. no frat houses though.

have funnnnnn
Founders Building, Royal Holloway
Royal Holloway
Egham
Visit website
Reply 61
Thank you everybody for the answers. :smile: The info really helped me. However, there is this thing that really surprised me. On my UCAS application it says that my course starts on the 01.09.2009, but on the accomodation application it says that I can move in the hall on the 20.09.2009. So where am I supposed to live for 20 days! :frown:
AdrianaSH
Thank you everybody for the answers. :smile: The info really helped me. However, there is this thing that really surprised me. On my UCAS application it says that my course starts on the 01.09.2009, but on the accomodation application it says that I can move in the hall on the 20.09.2009. So where am I supposed to live for 20 days! :frown:

UCAS has a strange way of doing things - every course for the 09/10 academic year starts on the 1st of September. In actual fact, your course will start the week following the weekend you move into halls so panic not.
Reply 63
So I have to arrive at the university around the 20th not the 1st, right? Thank you. :smile:
AdrianaSH
So I have to arrive at the university around the 20th not the 1st, right? Thank you. :smile:

Yup :smile:
Reply 65
Thx for this thread! its great:smile: i have a couple of questions tho:
1) Im not going to be moving into halls and im going to stay in london. am i going to be left out of events and from the social life? or will it be easy for me to meet people and stuff?
2) I was thinking of driving in everyday since its easier than taking public transport! am i allowed to do that? and if i am, do many students drive in?
thx so much
I wouldn't personally drive from London to Egham - if you've got 9am lectures, you'll be sitting in rush hour traffic for AGES! Train would be quicker and easier trust me as parking on campus is a nightmare after 9am and before 2pm!

You won't miss out on anything as long as you get involved with your course-mates, sports clubs and societies. There's always something going on either in Medicine or the Union itself.
driving from london sounds like a very good idea to me.

the only problem you may have with social life is obviously you will need somewhere to stay if you go out, apart from that it will depend on how much effort you put in
Reply 68
Kindly let me know about options of study one can choose about Postgrad course. I have to book accommodation for a 50 week period and the choices are -

Victorian House - Small Size
Victorian House - Standard
Penrose Court
Highfield Court

Choices are according to expenses....

I want a okkey types place with ample space to do my study and less interference & noise while studying.....
What is a small size room in Victorian House like? Is it too cramped ????

Also how many people share facility like washroom & showers, is it a problem at times as 5-6 people may have same college timings and all......

Kindly guide :smile:
anu007
Kindly let me know about options of study one can choose about Postgrad course. I have to book accommodation for a 50 week period and the choices are -

Victorian House - Small Size
Victorian House - Standard
Penrose Court
Highfield Court

Choices are according to expenses....

I want a okkey types place with ample space to do my study and less interference & noise while studying.....
What is a small size room in Victorian House like? Is it too cramped ????

Also how many people share facility like washroom & showers, is it a problem at times as 5-6 people may have same college timings and all......

Kindly guide :smile:

Don't go for the Victorian houses - they're cheap for a reason. They're REALLY close to the main road which has endless amounts of traffic on it during the day, less so at night but still there. Don't have any internet access either! Think it's 5 or 6 to a bathroom/kitchen but I've never ever met anyone in them so not 100% sure.

Highfield is really nice and it's en-suite. 8 to a kitchen just like Runnymede is on campus; rooms are plenty big enough for one person.

Penrose is shared with 3 or 4 others I think. Not entirely sure what the rooms are like.

If you want peace & quiet, a decent place to study, sleep and generally live in - go for the extra cost and go for Highfield. Also much closer to the bridge that links the other side of the A30 with the main campus so quicker and easier to get home.
Reply 70
well as you say Highfield is best amongst the lot, it would cost me 440 pounds per month for the same....

how much should i expect to be spending on "all" other things if you may please give a breakup of the same......considering i spend wisely.......

will i be able to earn anything out of part time jobs, i am an engineer plus a mba with around three years of experience in marketing domain......any possibility of jobs and whether the course (i am going for MSc Info Sec.) structure would allow me to do some work.

what should b my monthly budget considering i have paid off the accommodation costs and tuition fees beforehand....in case i get a part time job & i don't get one! :rolleyes:

thank you friends :smile:
My weekly budget is £50 and about half of that goes on food (and I don't buy the cheapest of the cheap stuff either) so I'm probably a bad example. The other £25 goes on general day to day stuff, train fare(s) to London, laundry costs, drinks etc etc.

You could probably live on less per week if you bought the cheaper, less known branded stuff that's for sure! Tbh it all depends on how much you drink, smoke and like to go out every night. I don't drink or smoke so spend more money on food. The uni says budget for £100 a week which is really steep - god knows what you'd have to do to spend that amount of money each week.
Reply 72
thanks a lot Sir,

i've applied for the following -
Highfield
Penrose
Victorian Small
Victorian Standard
Victorian Large
Tuke & Butler

i hope 8000-9000 pounds will be sufficient including accommodation ?

what is the sceanrio of jobs -part time as well as full time, i mean after course completion....

does RHUL provide campus placements ? how good were placements for Info Sec this year any idea ??????
Reply 73
Is Royal Holloway very hostile to non whites, the last time I went there I saw only one black person there and about 2 Indians, when I went with my friend who happened to be black all I can see where the student ambassadors gawking at him.

any opinions?
Not that I've noticed, I thought we actually had quite a high number of Asian students in particular? Though this is leafy Surrey and the majority of people will be white.
Reply 75
Hi!

Does anyone know what the gym is like? Is it worth joining? Also, is it far from Founders?

Thanks!
Reply 76
its right at the opposite end of the campus...

I think its about £150

I had a look around it during the visit day and it has most of the equipment that you would expect a gym to have.
Reply 77
Hey I have a question about the undergraduate economics course. :smile:Is there a list of books I should read before staring it, or anything I should know? I have never studied economics before.
Hi, erm I've applied to do History at Holloway and the entry grades are AAB, but I really don't think I'm gonna get that cos I missed out on a load of school through being ill and I was wondering if Holloway ever make exceptions if people fall just short of their conditional grades?
If not I can't go to Uni which would be beyond awful..!
Reply 79
Hey, I've got a couple of questions...any answers will be appreciated. :smile:

1. I've applied for Economics (BSc) and been offered a place with the condition to get ABB. I was wondering if they would accept AAC or ABC?

2. This might sound stupid but I was wondering if there was enough space in the "Butler, Tuke and Williamson" halls to fit a 26" Flat screen? and a PS3 :p:

3. Do they organise coaches into Central London for club student nights often?...or at all?

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending