The Student Room Group

St John's accomodation

No, this is not a thread about the Cripps building. Well, not exactly! :p: I've received my accommodation form which I'm supposed to return to the College ASAP (unless I want to camp at the backs for the next year), and from what I've read I realize I can either choose between a bed-sitting and a set. Now, could someone PLEASE tell me what the difference between those two is? Cheers :biggrin:
Reply 1
...and I've just realized I've spelled accommodation wrong. Twice. And I'm studying English :redface:
Reply 2
slashkash
No, this is not a thread about the Cripps building. Well, not exactly! :p: I've received my accommodation form which I'm supposed to return to the College ASAP (unless I want to camp at the backs for the next year), and from what I've read I realize I can either choose between a bed-sitting and a set. Now, could someone PLEASE tell me what the difference between those two is? Cheers :biggrin:

A bedsit is a study bedroom, which you'll have to yourself. A set is a set of (usually) two bedrooms and a living room, (possibly kitchen and more) which you'll share with someone else.
Reply 3
Which one do you suggest? By the way is there any way I can see pictures of the actual rooms?
Reply 4
d750
A bedsit is a study bedroom, which you'll have to yourself. A set is a set of (usually) two bedrooms and a living room, (possibly kitchen and more) which you'll share with someone else.

Not in first year John's accommodation. A bedsit is a single room with no partition; a set is a bedroom and a study, with a dividing wall between them, which slides back and forth. You don't share sets till second year in New Court.
Reply 5
slashkash
Which one do you suggest? By the way is there any way I can see pictures of the actual rooms?

It depends on your budget and temperament really. The bedsit will be cheaper and smaller; the set larger, more expensive, with more furniture (an extra sofa), and with a clear separation between work space (the study) and rest space (the bedroom).
Reply 6
svidrigailov
Not in first year John's accommodation. A bedsit is a single room with no partition; a set is a bedroom and a study, with a dividing wall between them, which slides back and forth. You don't share sets till second year in New Court.

Ah ok. I haven't lived in college. The sets in New Court look fantastic, though - bedroom, lounge, kitchen, computer room.
Reply 7
d750
Ah ok. I haven't lived in college. The sets in New Court look fantastic, though - bedroom, lounge, kitchen, computer room.

Yes, although, foolishly perhaps, I've decided not to live there next year, and to live again in Cripps instead, but in a penthouse this time instead of a set.
Reply 8
Yep, all Cripps rooms are single - about 1/4 of the rooms are bedsits (one per landing of 4 rooms) which are a bit smaller and have no internal sliding partition. Unless money is a real issue, I would take the set.
Reply 9
The bedsits are a fairly reasonable size though - they're bigger than my room this year. Either way you get to take part in the fabulous institution that is "Cripps TV" :rolleyes:

Latest

Trending

Trending