The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

Reply 1
Everywhere will take graduates to my knowledge. (doesn't necessarily mean its a good path to take going for grad entry)

Do you mean graduate only courses?
Reply 2
If we are being pedantic there is no such thing as a postgrad medical school in this context, medical courses always being undergraduate. A postgrad medical school would only award MDs and other variants thereof.
Reply 3
hamish123
unis that offer graduate entry for medicine...

1) are all of them four years?

2) would a 2.1 in a degree such as human sciences or biological sciences be classed as a scientific degree cuz my teacher told me they arent worth the paper they are written on :s-smilie:

3) does manchester offer graduate entry ( i did try lookin but the page is not loading for me at the moment)

cheers

1) I think so.

2) Biological sciences would be classed as a scientific degree. Not sure about human sciences. Several graduate entry programmes accept arts / humanities graduates anyway so it doesn't really matter what you graduated in as somewhere will consider your application. A couple of places also accept 2:2 degrees.

3) No - but there are some graduates kicking around the 5 year medicine degree programme
terpineol
If we are being pedantic there is no such thing as a postgrad medical school in this context, medical courses always being undergraduate. A postgrad medical school would only award MDs and other variants thereof.

Warwick?
Reply 5
terpineol
Everywhere will take graduates to my knowledge. (doesn't necessarily mean its a good path to take going for grad entry)

Do you mean graduate only courses?

why isnt grad entry a good path? i mean like say if u do a scientific degree such as biomed then proceed onto fast track med course...
Reply 6
clad in armour
Warwick?

They only take graduates, but the degree they award is an undergraduate degree.

Its like doing a BA in french, then going and doing a Bsc in chemistry. The Bsc in chemistry is not suddenly a postgraduate degree because you already have a BA.

This is sheer pedantry though, I wanted to add another notch to my desk edge before renal nabbed this one.
Reply 7
hamish123
why isnt grad entry a good path? i mean like say if u do a scientific degree such as biomed then proceed onto fast track med course...

Graduate entry to fast track undergraduate medical degrees is hellishly competitive and there are not many places compared to standard 5 year degree programmes. It's much easier to get on a standard 5 year course. There are also funding issues with graduate entry programmes.

If you know you want to do medicine then I'd say find a way to do it as a first degree.
Reply 8
hamish123

The problems with it are as follows

1) highly competitive for a fast track course generally speaking

2) no student loan for tuition fees

3) a reasonable chance tuition fees will go up to 9k (either across the board for medicine, or for those doing a second degree)

4) more student debt

5) most people end up applying for two GEP and two five or six year courses to hedge their bets, applying for four GEP courses is generally seen as taking a fair gamble.

Personally I would try and go straight into medicine, if you need to hit an access course, or spend another year resiting A levels and going for the few places that will still consider you, its still a better bet.
Reply 9
St Georges, UoL do Postgrad MBBs entry, they say ANY degree is acceptable
Reply 10
but i just dont think i can ever pass chem AS.... After searchin every subject of slight interest medicine is the only one that offers content which i realllllllllllllyy wanna take on board and absorb...and then practice.. :frown: but no way in hell am i passin chem AS never mind a2!
hamish123
but i just dont think i can ever pass chem AS.... After searchin every subject of slight interest medicine is the only one that offers content which i realllllllllllllyy wanna take on board and absorb...and then practice.. :frown: but no way in hell am i passin chem AS never mind a2!

A few places to start

1) hoick out module specifications, and memorise.

2) get a tutor, its vastly cheaper than an extra 3 years at uni.
Reply 12
hamish123

Not everywhere requires AS or A2 chemistry. There's a couple of places that will accept you with Biology and a second A2 science and GCSE chemistry if you have an A or A*.
Reply 13
how much can tutors actually help?
our teachers at college offer one to ones every lunch time more or less, but i dont think i can ever learn to APPLY what very little knowledge i have cos it just dosent seem to click
Reply 14
JCM89
Not everywhere requires AS or A2 chemistry. There's a couple of places that will accept you with Biology and a second A2 science and GCSE chemistry if you have an A or A*.

out of all the sciences tho biol and chem are the ones i find the most do-able... physics and maths = big no no

aye yeah but i did dual science gcses not separate
hamish123
our teachers at college offer one to ones every lunch time more or less, but i dont think i can ever learn to APPLY what very little knowledge i have cos it just dosent seem to click

I hate to be an arse, but that doesn't bode well for managing with medicine.

Frankly what have you got to loose?

Make sure you turn up at every one to one, know every type of question that can come up, hit chemguide with a vengeance, and do practice papers, more practice papers, and yet more practice papers. Get your teachers to dig out relevant questions from the old O levels (I found them useful) and do the olympiad, that helps.
Reply 16
hamish123
out of all the sciences tho biol and chem are the ones i find the most do-able... physics and maths = big no no

aye yeah but i did dual science gcses not separate

I doubt that dual would cut it.

I'd go all out on the A-level - revision guides, workbooks, web sources and use the tutors on offer at your college. If you really want medicine then its worth the slog.

Going the graduate route is a very long shot - some of the graduate entry programmes still want A-level chemistry and others (such as St George's and Nottingham) use the Gamsat test to select who to interview and the Gamsat has a fair amount of organic chemistry in it (as well as biology, physics and other stuff)
Reply 17
2) would a 2.1 in a degree such as human sciences or biological sciences be classed as a scientific degree cuz my teacher told me they arent worth the paper they are written on :s-smilie:

Your teacher is a ******* idiot
Reply 18
hamish123

I went for an E to a C with a tutor and hard work. If you can't do chem then you couldn't get into Georges for postgrad med anyway, because you have to do GAMSAT and that tests you on A level chemistry.

Do whatever you can now. If they're offering lunchtime help then bloody take it! You will never get better at chemistry by coming on here telling everyone you can't do it and not taking advantage of help that is offered.
Reply 19
terpineol

2) no student loan for tuition fees

Not true. I got £4500 in year 1 and i'm getting £1500 a year for the next 3 years, plus fees paid by NHS and an NHS bursary.

hamish123

I feel your pain! I truly sucked at A level chem, ended up getting an E at A2. If you go for grad med then make sure you apply to places that don't look at what a levels you got or what grades, and that takes UKCAT (because this isn't a science based exam like GAMSAT.)

Ultimately I'm just plugging Warwick (yet again.)