The Student Room Group

Applying for 2006 entry?

The must have pre-application reading list!

By no means a comprehensive list, but you might find the following helpful...

Note: second-hand versions of these books often appear on e-bay at a fraction of the cost!

1) Medical School Prospectuses - Need we say more?

2) So You Want To Be A Brain Surgeon. Ed. Ward and Eccles. ISBN: 0192630962. "So you want to be a Brain Surgeon? could just as easily have been titled 'Everything you ever wanted to know about medical careers but were afraid to ask!".

3) A Career In Medicine, Do You Have What It Takes? White. ISBN: 1853154628. A guide for young people that provides an insight into what medicine involves and the personal qualities that are required. A range of issues are addressed including entry requirements, the interview process, ethical issues, choosing a medical school and various career options within medicine.

4) The Insiders Guide To Medical School. BMA MSC. 2005 edition ISBN: 0727918516 This book is written for students who are thinking of applying to medical school. This new edition includes case studies of "a day in the life" of a medical student, more information on electives, extracurricular activities while studying, PRHO job year and salaries on graduation. .

5) Bedtime Stories. Confessions of a Junior Doctor. Foxton. ISBN: 1843540320. For two years Michael Foxton wrote in The Guardian about his experiences as a junior doctor in the NHS. This volume contains those pieces. They illuminate the quirks, horrors and delights of all aspects of doctoring, from casualty to the psychiatric ward.

ISBNs and summaries taken from www.amazon.co.uk

Feel free to add resources you have found helpful to the list!
Reply 1
Fluffy
The must have pre-application reading list!

By no means a comprehensive list, but you might find the following helpful...

Note: second-hand versions of these books often appear on e-bay at a fraction of the cost!

1) Medical School Prospectuses - Need we say more?

2) So You Want To Be A Brain Surgeon. Ed. Ward and Eccles. ISBN: 0192630962. "So you want to be a Brain Surgeon? could just as easily have been titled 'Everything you ever wanted to know about medical careers but were afraid to ask!".

3) A Career In Medicine, Do You Have What It Takes? White. ISBN: 1853154628. A guide for young people that provides an insight into what medicine involves and the personal qualities that are required. A range of issues are addressed including entry requirements, the interview process, ethical issues, choosing a medical school and various career options within medicine.

4) The Insiders Guide To Medical School. BMA MSC. 2005 edition ISBN: 0727918516 This book is written for students who are thinking of applying to medical school. This new edition includes case studies of "a day in the life" of a medical student, more information on electives, extracurricular activities while studying, PRHO job year and salaries on graduation. .

5) Bedtime Stories. Confessions of a Junior Doctor. Foxton. ISBN: 1843540320. For two years Michael Foxton wrote in The Guardian about his experiences as a junior doctor in the NHS. This volume contains those pieces. They illuminate the quirks, horrors and delights of all aspects of doctoring, from casualty to the psychiatric ward.

ISBNs and summaries taken from www.amazon.co.uk

Feel free to add resources you have found helpful to the list!

why have the font so large? sounds interesting i wanna be a doctor :frown:
saturn
why have the font so large? sounds interesting i wanna be a doctor :frown:

Why the :frown:?

If you want to be a doctor, read up on Fluffy's [very good] book list and go and apply to some med schools!
There's also a book called "Getting into medical school" (newest edition comes out each summer I think) which is quite useful (but don't just copy down what they say).

Your local Connexions or library should have a few of those.
1) prospectuses is a must! Get as many as you want from here http://www.aimhigher.ac.uk/courses/order_prospectus.cfm
Reply 5
I owned a copy of "So you want to be a brain surgeon?" when I was 15 :redface:
endeavour
1) prospectuses is a must! Get as many as you want from here http://www.aimhigher.ac.uk/courses/order_prospectus.cfm

Oooooh. I didn't know there was a central page for all prospectuses...thanks! :biggrin: (you get pos rep now!)
Reply 7
timeofyourlife

Nerd :wink: :biggrin:
timeofyourlife

So do you want to be a brain surgeon?
I picked up a copy at medisix over easter. Bloomin' expensive. But very useful. I particularly liked the section detailing how much money i will earn......
michaela_banana
I picked up a copy at medisix over easter. Bloomin' expensive. But very useful. I particularly liked the section detailing how much money i will earn......

Hehehehehe....

But I hope that isn't your primary reason for doing med! :rolleyes:
Reply 11
endeavour
So do you want to be a brain surgeon?

yes :eek: :redface:
I found "Hippocratic Oaths: Medicine and its discontents" by Raymond Tallis to be a very useful read.

Not that I got in. :frown: But I think it was usefull anyway.

Latest

Trending

Trending