The Student Room Group

TSR Radiohead Society : Fake plastic thread

Scroll to see replies

Reply 40
Who's going to explain the next song? [I'm guessing my interpretation of black star was ***** then! :p: ]

Agreed on black star!

IUf no one has done one by tomorrow, then I shall do one. think songs with a slightly complicated message (Ripcord...Paranoid android...Just...dammit any of them!)
Reply 41
anyone else love punchdrunk lovesick singalong, imo the best radiohead lyrics, nothing too deep but almost everyone has been in a situation like this, i once put this song on repeat and listened to it for about 3 hours one night, its perfect.

I wrapped you inside my coat
When they came to firebomb the house
I didn't feel pain, 'cause no one can touch me
Now that I'm held in your spell

A beautiful girl
A beautiful girl can turn your world into dust

Sell me a car that goes
Sell me a house that stands
I never cared before, I never cared before
I never cared before, before, before, before

A beautiful girl

A beautiful girl

I stood in front of her face
When the first bullet was shot
KidA
anyone else love punchdrunk lovesick singalong, imo the best radiohead lyrics, nothing too deep but almost everyone has been in a situation like this, i once put this song on repeat and listened to it for about 3 hours one night, its perfect.

A beautiful girl

Yep, today that lyric seems all too appropriate. :frown:

Gonna download that i think, I haven't delved into the world of Radiohead B sides before, only whatevers on the 6 albums i know, might be interesting.... :smile:
Reply 43
Absolution
Yep, today that lyric seems all too appropriate. :frown:

Gonna download that i think, I haven't delved into the world of Radiohead B sides before, only whatevers on the 6 albums i know, might be interesting.... :smile:

its on the iron lung ep. which is my second favourite radiohead cd, its really good, if you've got all the other stuff you'll love it.
KidA
its on the iron lung ep. which is my second favourite radiohead cd, its really good, if you've got all the other stuff you'll love it.

Oh right cool, I'll look out for it in the shops or pay a visit to amazon or somewhere on the intermernet. Thanks!

Hmmm idea, rank favourite Radiohead LP's (or EP's :smile:)

1. The Bends
2. OK Computer
3. Pablo Honey
4. Kid A
5. Hail to the Thief
6. Amnesiac

Although possibly The Bends and OK Computer are about the same, I do definitely prefer the 'guitar' albums to the 'dancey' less guitar driven albums.
Reply 45
Absolution
Oh right cool, I'll look out for it in the shops or pay a visit to amazon or somewhere on the intermernet. Thanks!

1. The Bends
2. OK Computer
3. Pablo Honey
4. Kid A
5. Hail to the Thief
6. Amnesiac

Although possibly The Bends and OK Computer are about the same, I do definitely prefer the 'guitar' albums to the 'dancey' less guitar driven albums.

you'll love the iron lung then, its like a cross between ok computer and the bends.
Phonicsdude
[I'm guessing my interpretation of black star was ***** then! :p: ]

Hadn't even read yours! :eek: No, it's good too! In fact I think kingslaw might have been inspired by them! :eek: :biggrin:
Phonicsdude
No...see the nirvana thread (if one exists).

Are you enjoying your shallow, poorly played music?

:eek: Nirvana aren't depressing.....

Hehe, i knew that'd get taken very seriously, it confirmed all my horrid, narrow minded, shallow prejudices about Radiohead fans....and some of my best freinds are Radiohead fans..:biggrin:
Reply 48
naivesincerity
:eek: Nirvana aren't depressing.....

Hehe, i knew that'd get taken very seriously, it confirmed all my horrid, narrow minded, shallow prejudices about Radiohead fans....and some of my best freinds are Radiohead fans..:biggrin:

There are no prejudices about Radiohead fans :eek:.

*returns to darkened corner to carry on reading dusty 17th century Russian novel*
kingslaw
There are no prejudices about Radiohead fans :eek:.

*returns to darkened corner to carry on reading dusty 17th century Russian novel*

lol, lol!
Reply 50
Absolution

1. The Bends
2. OK Computer
3. Pablo Honey
4. Kid A
5. Hail to the Thief
6. Amnesiac

Firstly, I wouldnt describe any of Radiohead's albums as "dancey". I think the only Radiohead song I've ever heard in a 'dance' club is Idioteque. Which reminds me of the time they played Creep in a club and everyone just looked each other having no idea what to do (apart from me, who was probably on the floor crying).

Hmm...order of preference...ermmm:

1) The Bends
2) OK Computer
3) Kid A
4) Hail to the Thief
5) Amnesiac
6) Pablo Honey

However, I also love the I Might Be Wrong live set, and as the songs took such a different light in that EP, so much so some of the songs weren't recognisable (I didn't recognise "Spinning Plates" until the chorus came on first listening), it could probably be regarded as an album in its own right. I'd probably put it 4th.
kingslaw
Firstly, I wouldnt describe any of Radiohead's albums as "dancey". I think the only Radiohead song I've ever heard in a 'dance' club is Idioteque. Which reminds me of the time they played Creep in a club and everyone just looked each other having no idea what to do (apart from me, who was probably on the floor crying).

Hmm...order of preference...ermmm:

1) The Bends
2) OK Computer
3) Kid A
4) Hail to the Thief
5) Amnesiac
6) Pablo Honey

However, I also love the I Might Be Wrong live set, and as the songs took such a different light in that EP, so much so some of the songs weren't recognisable (I didn't recognise "Spinning Plates" until the chorus came on first listening), it could probably be regarded as an album in its own right. I'd probably put it 4th.

Yeh I had Idioteque in mind when I described them as dancey, on reflection I was wrong :redface: :smile:

The only time i've heard Radiohead in a club was 'Just' And yeh, no-one knew the song leaving me alone to sing and dance like a nonce all by myself, ahh good times. :rolleyes:

I might be wrong EP, hmm might be worth getting too then it seems, thanks.
Reply 52
My Iron Lung EP is more a mix of Pablo Honey and The Bends (especially the earlier tracks), although some of the later ones resemble OK Computer more!

I don't own Hail to the thief, Amnesiac or I might be wrong. I bought them all on Amazon, along with about 10 singles, before realising that I have a new, different card from the one i signed up with originally. So alas, they are still all sitting there in a my "shopping cart" waiting for me to enter new card details and press "yes I agree to spending £40 on Radiohead music - most of which I have already heard".

Does anyone own any singles? Which is the best?
Of the albums I have the order is :

1) Ok computer (let down is the difference between OK Comp and...)
2) The Bends
3) Kid A
4) My Iron Lung LP
5) Pablo Honey

Pablo Honey comes last because the other albums are so damn good, not cos it is a bad album (although some songs are dictinctly average). Radiohead rarely bettered the lyrical genius of Creep or Ripcord.

Idioteque is indeed the only dancey track - and everything about that screams out "P*SS TAJE!", from the name to the overblown beat in the background. It is my favourite off Kid A. (I was tempted to go on and name a song from each album which is my fave, but it changes so often - particularly on The Bends and Ok Computer).
1. The Bends
2. OK Computer
3. Kid A
4. My Iron Lung EP
5. Hail to the Thief
6. Amnesiac
7. Pablo Honey

And yes, I still love Pablo Honey. :biggrin:

Choosing between OK Computer and The Bends is tough. The Bends just feels slightly more complete. Dunno if that makes sense (to me it does :redface:). OK Computer is genius too though. The Bends for me is the best combination of the guitar and the rest. Pablo Honey is too guitar-based (after all, anyone can play guitar! :p: ) and something like Amnesiac is the other extreme. All of it is quality but The Bends held the perfect balance in my mind.
Reply 54
hmm, probably

ok computer - no album will ever top it, - ever
the bends
My Iron Lung
Hail to the thief
Kid A
Pablo Honey
Amnesiac

oh, i feel so bad putting them in an order, because they are all my favourite albums,
amnesiac isn't bad, it's in my top 10 albums ever, get my point.
Reply 55
hey hey, notice how this thread has almost twice the number of posts as the muse one dispite being quite a bit older.

hohoho, silly muse fans, think the sun shines out of matts arse,
Reply 56
I haven't quite understood Muse. Radiohead has always been the one for me. Polyethelyne Pts 1 & 2 my fav song.
Alright I've probably missed the boat by a day or two on the Black Star lyrics interpretation. :redface: Was just listening to it and had a couple of thoughts though.

Basically everything happens between "I get home from work" and then towards the end "I get on the train". They're the times when he's closest to her. Once he's coming back to her and the other time he is leaving her. I think the song's about the pressure of trying to understand someone who he sees little of. She's still standing in her dressing gown. So from the moment he left her she's slipped into this unhappiness.

If you think of the images of the chorus you have a "black star". The point with stars is that you can see them, they're white against a black sky. You couldn't see a black star, almost like it wasn't there. And he can't be there for her all the time. "Falling sky" could mean both night falling as well as something more serious (apocalypse). And it could be a metaphor for the fading hopes of their relationship. The last image from the chorus "the satellite that beams me home". Perhaps she sees him on the TV and it just makes her even more aware that he's not with her. It doesn't beam him home, it beams a reflection of him home. The fact they're all thing from the sky is clever too. It's what unites them even when they're apart. Two people could be in different countries and still look into the sky and see the same things. But the distance makes it difficult for him to "try to understand".

All the way through I think the emphasis is really on her. How the distance and being apart affects her. Then the last two lines show exactly how he feels: This is killing me / This is killing me.

Mes deux cents!
1) Kid A
2) Ok Computer
3) Amnesiac
4) I might be wrong ( Live recordings, like spinning plates is ACE)
5) Hail to the Thief
6) Airbag ( How am I driving ) EP
7) Com Lag
8) The Bends
9) Pablo Honey

I'd include The paranoid android single, but it doesn't really belong :wink:

My favourite tracks are at the moment, Polyethylene, Paranoid Android, Idoteque ( Idioteque fecking rocks! )

Its excellent for 3am coding sessions, causing caffeine fuelled blog posts such as this http://www.ireallydontcare.com/new-archives/000109.htm

Who's in a bunker?
Who's in a bunker?
Women and children first
And the children first
And the children
I'll laugh until my head comes off
I'll swallow till I burst
Until I burst...
Reply 59
KidA
hey hey, notice how this thread has almost twice the number of posts as the muse one dispite being quite a bit older.

hohoho, silly muse fans, think the sun shines out of matts arse,

Nerrgghhh...I got kinda bored of Muse after Origin of Symmetry. Their first album was by far their best imo (although I've yet to meet someone who agrees with me). Although I have met the guys twice - once at Burger King at Manchester Piccadilly train station :smile:.

We're like that: *crosses fingers* :rolleyes:

Quick Reply

Latest