The Student Room Group

why dont you do anything for charity

most of us would buy our kids loads of toys, even though their are kids in the world with no toys, we dont buy a toy for a kid in poverty.
most of us hardly give anything to charity, the odd pound in a collection box whereas if theres someone trying to get you to sign on to give charity donations monthly, we usually dodge them and avoid eye contact.
we spend money on things we know we dont need, even though it could pay for medication, food etc and even if we dont want the money to go to africa, theres plenty of UK charities that do good work.
but instead we waste money on alchol, clothes, latest gadgets we dont need.

why are we that selfish, that we really dont care, aslong as it doesnt effect us, we just go on with our every day life.

Scroll to see replies

I agree totally with what your saying... though we're not all like that! Ive done alot of charity work in the past.. and all my time and money now goes towards community projects and social change in the local area.
Reply 2
well that is good

i myself do nothing, not that i waste my money either, i just like saving, and too selfish to give it away

and also most young people who volunteer are only doing it to put on their university application or CV, not that you are, but most others.
Putting money in a box doesn't make me feel like I've been generous or helpful. I can't see the effect it's having. If I saw starving kids and could give them food knowing that I'd helped I'd do it, without question. I just think that not being able to see the effects isn't rewarding enough. I do try to donate generously for red nose day etc because they add up the totals and stuff and that is nicer to see.
Reply 4
At the end of the day, all possessions in life stay on Earth and can't be taken with us......so I'm gonna bloody enjoy myself.

Spoiler

Reply 5
I dont donate, but I give up my weekends to help people with SJA, which I guess is doing something for charity.

The simple reason I dont donate is that as a student, I barely have enough on to live myself nevermind to donate to charity
Reply 6
i volunteered for the rspca last summer, i really enjoyed it and will probs do it agian this summer.
Reply 7
well one of the main beliefs of islam is to give Charity, Zakah. So I guess I answered that nicely :biggrin:
I think it's more a case of out of sight, out of mind. Most decent people would offer help if they actually saw someone suffering.
Reply 9
sometimes on ebay I do give 10% to cancer research uk :redface: and when I get loads of change in shops I give it to whatever charity, I just don't like people coming up to me in the streets or knocking on my door
Reply 10
shorty.loves.angels
Putting money in a box doesn't make me feel like I've been generous or helpful. I can't see the effect it's having. If I saw starving kids and could give them food knowing that I'd helped I'd do it, without question. I just think that not being able to see the effects isn't rewarding enough. I do try to donate generously for red nose day etc because they add up the totals and stuff and that is nicer to see.

thats sort of what i though, and also the bit of money we give individually is only a tiny tiny fraction of the total, so we dont feel that weve made a difference as individuals. if i could buy something like a goat for a family and maybe the charity sends a pic, so you know exactly where your moneys gone and how it has helped, then it may be more rewarding.
I like my useless gadgets, and I like the sound of money in my pocket too much to give any to charity. Saying that I do buy a poppy each year for at least £1, and sometimes give my change to H4H, as those two deserve it. I can't stand the TV adverts, I wish they would make poverty quieter.
Survival of the fittest.

Spoiler

When I'm drunk I often give money to tramps in the street as I end up feeling really sorry for them.
I do, I work for Vinspred.
I did voluntary work for a local animal charity for 3 years. Might go back in the summer.
Reply 16
Two direct debits not enough?
I always get tricked out of money by homeless people when I'm drunk.

I think that counts
Reply 18
Why are you judging everybody else? I bet you're the same too, you giant hypocrite!
Reply 19
Generally I don't like giving money to big charities - too many seem to have posh London addresses and large overheads.

I volunteer for a local environmental charity and I'm also involved in running a community based credit union. Neither are particularly helpful for my CV given that I'm a prospective medic but I enjoy the work and its totally different to what I do at uni every day.

Latest

Trending

Trending