The Student Room Group
Student at University of Edinburgh
University of Edinburgh

Scroll to see replies

Reply 20
nearlyheadlessian
Why, what's wrong with it? And which Scottish accent did you have in mind exactly? :p:

It's a completely unknown accent in France so people will probably look at someone with such accent pretty weirdly :holmes:. There's nothing wrong with it, it's just… Different :p: (And I was thinking Edinburgh, I've been told several times it wasn't that strong, but I was really shocked the first time I heard it as it's really different from British English).
Student at University of Edinburgh
University of Edinburgh
Reply 21
Auldreekie

Nola : where do you live in the US ?

I've actually lived all over the US...my family currently lives in California, but I go to Tulane University in New Orleans, Louisiana (of Hurricane Katrina infamy)
Reply 22
Anatheme
It's a completely unknown accent in France so people will probably look at someone with such accent pretty weirdly :holmes:. There's nothing wrong with it, it's just… Different :p: (And I was thinking Edinburgh, I've been told several times it wasn't that strong, but I was really shocked the first time I heard it as it's really different from British English).

if you mean British English as in the accent of the south of england then edinburgh is quite different but thats 'cause southern english people are posh :p: i remember i fiercely had a scottish accent in freshers week due to the number of english people i met!

at least it isn't glasgow - that would be a difficult accent to understand, even i dont get it sometimes and im scottish!
Reply 23
FTC199
if you mean British English as in the accent of the south of england then edinburgh is quite different but thats 'cause southern english people are posh :p: i remember i fiercely had a scottish accent in freshers week due to the number of english people i met!

at least it isn't glasgow - that would be a difficult accent to understand, even i dont get it sometimes and im scottish!

Well, I'm in Manchester so it's more the Northerner accent that I was talking about, but since I'm French, it's even more shocking as I'm not used to hearing that accent at all, lol.
nearlyheadlessian
Why, what's wrong with it? And which Scottish accent did you have in mind exactly? :p:

I didn't understand that comment either.

Est-ce que tu trouves morte la vieille alliance?
Reply 25
ScholarsInk
I didn't understand that comment either.

Est-ce que tu trouves morte la vieille alliance?

WOW! you know what the auld alliance is and you aren't either french or scottish, that is impressive! all my english friends here have never even heard of it (even the ones doing history) so i am genuinely shocked (and kind of impressed!)
Reply 26
I want the accent of Ewan McGregor in Trainspotting <3
Reply 27
Auldreekie
Hello Alfahad ! Are you coming to Edinburgh for one year or more ?

actually i'll be staying for the whole 4 years and maybe an extra year if i take the MEng
Reply 28
really you guys don't like scottish accent??
i used to stay with a scottish host family from glasgow and i really liked their accent!
but i think i'll never be able to pick it up!lol
alfahad
really you guys don't like scottish accent??
i used to stay with a scottish host family from glasgow and i really liked their accent!

I think the general consensus has been that we do like the Scottish accent, but I personally object to the suggestion that there is a generic 'Scottish' accent - someone from Glasgow does not speak the same way someone from Dunfermline does and neither of them speak the same way as someone from the Western Isles who in turn speak differently to those from the Northern Isles, and so on and so on.
Reply 30
I haven't heard that many Scottish so I don't hate the accent, I just don't know it. I wouldn't hate Scottish anyway 'cause they're Celtic people :teeth:
Reply 31
nearlyheadlessian
I think the general consensus has been that we do like the Scottish accent, but I personally object to the suggestion that there is a generic 'Scottish' accent - someone from Glasgow does not speak the same way someone from Dunfermline does and neither of them speak the same way as someone from the Western Isles who in turn speak differently to those from the Northern Isles, and so on and so on.

oh .. i see
yeah i agree there's no such thing as one scottish accent,, even with my host parents the mother had kinda different accent than the father although they're both scottish.
Reply 32
Hey
I'm an exchange student from Australia, will hopefully be coming to Edinburgh in September to study Chem Eng, I'm sooo excited!!!!
Don't know which accommodation to stay in though, where is everyone else going?

Latest

Trending

Trending