The Student Room Group
Reply 1
-_-'
So you would say no to some people having a good education, in the fear that they may be working for a terrorist, when infact they are there to become a doctor etc that can help their country??
The visa application system desperately needs sorting out. I think ideally it should be something like the US visa system. When I applied for a J1 visa to study in America for a year I had to attend an interview at the embassy, provide solid references, proof of financial backing and I had to fill in masses of forms and list all of the countries I've previously visited and for what purpose. Even when I eventually got my visa, the US authorities were still very suspicious of me at the various airports I flew into over there, once I was even hauled off to the airport police station to check that my visa was valid and ended up staying there for ages while they rang up my host university and triple checked all of my travel documents. If the system was similarly thorough in the UK, it would prevent prospective terrorists from coming over here so easily, but the system would also remain open to genuine students.
obviously there a few countries in the middle east region where we shouldn't even give a bag of rice to, let alone a student visa

most other countries visas are no problem
Sold to the USA
obviously there a few countries in the middle east region where we should even give a bag of rice to, let alone a student visa

Why are you assuming that everyone from the Middle East is a terrorist?
Reply 5
Sold to the USA
obviously there a few countries in the middle east region where we should even give a bag of rice to, let alone a student visa

So you are saying that we shouldn't give vias easily to the middle eastern countries compared to other countries??
Bit of a generalisation there dont you think?
no i;m not saying that
I agree, I do think they need to crack down on it more. I'm at Liverpool John Moores and a man was arrested outside the library because of suspected terrorist activity...him being a student here. Has made me and others abit wary now. I know you cant generalise it to everyone and say every foreign student is going to be like this, ofcourse they aren't, but it does happen. They need to have stricter rules.
Reply 8
Many of my cousins and friends have student visas, they are not terrorist. A few of my cousins are paying more than 20 thousand for boarding school the rest are pay just under 10 thousand (uni fees), so i guess they are even helping the economy!!!
Reply 9
xhelen1989x
I agree, I do think they need to crack down on it more. I'm at Liverpool John Moores and a man was arrested outside the library because of suspected terrorist activity...him being a student here. Has made me and others abit wary now. I know you cant generalise it to everyone and say every foreign student is going to be like this, ofcourse they aren't, but it does happen. They need to have stricter rules.

Yeah they need to be stricter, but do you actually know if he was charged with anything? Can't really condemn a person till you know the full facts.
Reply 10
fabulous_darling
The visa application system desperately needs sorting out. I think ideally it should be something like the US visa system. When I applied for a J1 visa to study in America for a year I had to attend an interview at the embassy, provide solid references, proof of financial backing and I had to fill in masses of forms and list all of the countries I've previously visited and for what purpose. Even when I eventually got my visa, the US authorities were still very suspicious of me at the various airports I flew into over there, once I was even hauled off to the airport police station to check that my visa was valid and ended up staying there for ages while they rang up my host university and triple checked all of my travel documents. If the system was similarly thorough in the UK, it would prevent prospective terrorists from coming over here so easily, but the system would also remain open to genuine students.

The american visa system is ridiculous, my dad wanted me to go to the same uni he went to in america but i decided not to becuase the whole process was too much stress:woo:
King4eva
The american visa system is ridiculous, my dad wanted me to go to the same uni he went to in america but i decided not to becuase the whole process was too much stress:woo:

It's not ridiculous, it's just very strict for security reasons. It was actually quite reassuring that it was such a thorough application process, it made me feel safer when I was over there.
Reply 12
fabulous_darling
It's not ridiculous, it's just very strict for security reasons. It was actually quite reassuring that it was such a thorough application process, it made me feel safer when I was over there.

ok .....i just thought it was to0 long and decided to go to british uni!!:cool:

Latest

Trending

Trending