The Student Room Group

Got any tips for my GCSE french oral?

Did it today and I got a B/C which I'm ok with I guess. Was expecting alot worse for doing like no preparation, but thats cool :smile:

Scroll to see replies

to be quite honest the tips to getting a good grade are consistent work throughout the course.
Nevertheless, what you need to do is make sure you have a good bank of phrases to pull on when you get stuck. Learn some useful vocab that can cover a lot of the topic questions.
Keep the role-play simple, you get penalised for every slip so just answer the questions/prompts.
That seems about right, obviously it depends on what board you're doing, I did OCR and it was a little different.
Don't speak too slowly or too fast, try and put some expression into what you're saying so you don't sound like you're just parroting stuff.
Stick to what you know - the exam is not a good time to try out something new. If you don't know what to say make up something simple and try to keep it fluent. They will notice more if you obviously hesitate and then get something wrong than if you just get it wrong.
Simple and right gets more marks than complicated and wrong. Learn three/four 'clever' words that not many people know (for example, 'orignac' - 'moose') and try and put them in (the example might be a bit difficult to put in a sentence but you get the idea).
Hope this helps!
Reply 3
Remember to hold tightly.
Reply 4
Thanks for these guys, still not sure on the outline of the exam :/
Tomorrow?
My god, you're screwed.
Speak French.
the specification is online
I was in the same situation as you last year when i did GCSE French last year, I managed to carry on and get an A*. Firs of all last year, from what i remember last year you are pretty much right, it consists of a presentation you have pre learnt and prepared, mine was on school and education, a set of questions you have prepared for and then a role play that you get 10 mins to prepare before the exam.
Firstly, go to the presentation to have prepared and FINISH YOUR CUE CARDS! You get some time to look through your presentation before you get called in to do it and these will be a great help. To get a better grade look through the tenses you may need as these will add depth to your work, also try to use different verbs if you have to describe something, instead of saying "bon" say "amusant" or "interesant". Read through your presentation a few times before you go to sleep a few times and the get enough sleep so you aren't tierd for your exam. As for the questions, you will just have to bluff, they will probably be based on the topics you have studied this year and last year. Good Luck.
Reply 9
Hmm, Advice for french oral?

Keep your teeth out of the way.
Simplicity
Speak French.

Yeah I came here for some help, not for my thread to be spammed by some **** not even trying to help and making me feel even worse. Prick.
jumblebumble
the specification is online

:eek: Where?
To be honest, if what you said in your opening message is true, i'm not going to help you, because quite simply, you don't deserve to do well.
aunty nesbit
I was in the same situation as you last year when i did GCSE French last year, I managed to carry on and get an A*. Firs of all last year, from what i remember last year you are pretty much right, it consists of a presentation you have pre learnt and prepared, mine was on school and education, a set of questions you have prepared for and then a role play that you get 10 mins to prepare before the exam.
Firstly, go to the presentation to have prepared and FINISH YOUR CUE CARDS! You get some time to look through your presentation before you get called in to do it and these will be a great help. To get a better grade look through the tenses you may need as these will add depth to your work, also try to use different verbs if you have to describe something, instead of saying "bon" say "amusant" or "interesant". Read through your presentation a few times before you go to sleep a few times and the get enough sleep so you aren't tierd for your exam. As for the questions, you will just have to bluff, they will probably be based on the topics you have studied this year and last year. Good Luck.

Thanks V. much for that bit of advice I will have an early night and read through them before I sleep. I heard from a mate that had his test yesterday that if you dont have enough text, my teacher will ask some random questions that I have to answer. That's cool.
Reply 14
SkateWithChaz
:eek: Where?

You won't have time to do the entire specification and sleep before tomorrow.
NothingCrushesUs
To be honest, if what you said in your opening message is true, i'm not going to help you, because quite simply, you don't deserve to do well.

I realised that I f**ked up, now I'm trying to rectify what I did wrong.
Bax-man
You won't have time to do the entire specification and sleep before tomorrow.

No, but I can try.
Perhaps a good idea would be to type up a huge piece of english then use an online translator to translate it into french, seeing as the oral marks are awarded for fluency, pronounciation, communication?
SkateWithChaz
I realised that I f**ked up, now I'm trying to rectify what I did wrong.

i'm not trying to be arrogant or cocky with that, but I'll put it simply for you. There's a kid in a class that is pretty damn good at french but is a bit of a loner in his lessons. He works hard throughout the course, but screws up in the exam, and ends up with an A rather than the A* he should have. Then there's a character like you. He's disruptive in class, he doesn't pay attention - he thinks he's a bit of a joker. He does no work throughout the year, but gets really lucky in the exam thanks to some help he got on a forum the night before, he scrapes an A.

Now try justifying that.
Reply 19
SkateWithChaz
Perhaps a good idea would be to type up a huge piece of english then use an online translator to translate it into french, seeing as the oral marks are awarded for fluency, pronounciation, communication?

Do you not have notes, key phrases, etc. which you can use?

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending