The Student Room Group
Inside University of Bristol
University of Bristol
Bristol

Bristol or Durham?

I can guess what people's answers to this question will be, but I'm very stuck between the two places, and I need to make my decision in the next few days! I just need to be persuaded one way or the other.

I've applied for Knowledge Engineering with Study Abroad at Bristol, and have offer ABB (but should be flexible). At Durham I've applied for Engineering at Van Mildert college, and have offer ABC\ABB.
Reply 1
I had the same problem, went for bristol because durham has pretty average nightlife
Inside University of Bristol
University of Bristol
Bristol
Reply 2
I'm not so bothered about the night life though. Mind you, I suppose if there is more a Bristol, there's bound to be more of a mix of places, so I'd probably be more likely to find places I really like.
Reply 3
I recently had to choose between Bristol and Durham and decided to favour Bristol.

I wasn't as impressed with the department at Durham and thought perhaps they relied a little on candidates having a good time on the open day close to the deadline.

However, choosing a university is a very personal thing so be sure to focus on what is important to you. Both are excellent places.
Reply 4
I had the same 'problem' too. In the end, I picked Bristol over Durham. I REALLY didn't like the department at Durham. I had an issue with my application, and I told them about it. At first, they seemed very supportive, but after 3 months, and no action was taken, I kinda got the impression that because they are Durham (Doxbridge LOL), they're needent worry about me, as it would be obvious I would accept them (as they are so good, or they think they are...). Anyway, I fell in love with Bristol as soon as I went there. The department was really amazing, and the city is really nice too. But, that is my opinion of Durham, from what I got from admissions staff. Although you can't base your opinions on a few ppl, personally, if they can't impress you b4 u accept, what are they going to be like when you are there.... Durham is still a wicked University, just some people need to work on their attitude, and people skills there....

Rant over, Good luck, it's very personal, and I am sure you will make the right choice :biggrin:
Reply 5
Yeah thanks a lot people, and for similar reasons to above, I've chosen Bristol. Basically it came down to what city would I prefer to live in, and living in a smallish quiet town at the moment, I'd really like to try the bustle of Bristol, which certainly seemed at least to be a more friendly place than London.

The only worry I did have about Bristol was the violence. I've not really heard this mentioned by any students, so I'm guessing its generally not that bad, and its just a reputation the place has.

Latest

Trending

Trending