The Student Room Group

A Levels for medicine...

I'm currently in year at school and really want to be a doctor. I'm undecided exactly what to take for a level though. I'm definately taking
Maths
Biology
Chemistry
but unsure whether to take
Psychology
Physics
Further Maths
or French
for my last option. I come from a native french speaking country so unsure whether taking french (which was my original fourth option) would be of use. Would the university think I took the "easy way out" by taking french, and would simply putting I can speak french be enough (as it was my first language)?

*Please quote me when you reply*
Where is film studies?
Reply 2
I'd take French to make it easier for yourself, and how would they know you're french?
TommyWannabe
Where is film studies?

is that even relevant?
Maybe you should take an A-Level in humour as well.
Take French. They only make an offer of 3 A levels anyway- usually AAA. Getting an extra one is always a bonus, esp if you find it easy, and they may not even realise that you are already fluent in it anyway.
Rainbow-Dream
is that even relevant?

no.

I'd take french in a year. If you get those GCSE grades, or think you can, and think you can continue this success onto sixth form, perhaps taking french exams, fasttrack, would be the most simple option. Are you fluent in it, like you are in English? Because if so, surely you can just use this as proof of your achievement in learning two languages.

Depends how hard it would be to do French for you.

If you took French and finished in the first year, and did well in the other subjects, I would guess you could take up an AS level the next year if you felt you needed to.
Reply 7
Whichever you'll enjoy most and get the best grade in, simple as.
Reply 8
TommyWannabe
Maybe you should take an A-Level in humour as well.

Seems like you're well on your way to getting an A in Spam Studies...

Some universities won't count languages if they're your mother tongue. If it isn't then it's fine if you take French.
Democracy
Seems like you're well on your way to getting an A in Spam Studies...

Some universities won't count languages if they're your mother tongue. If it isn't then it's fine if you take French.

If it is your mother tounge though, you should take it - to prove it - since it won't require much work, and continue on with another AS Level

-Will

Edit; perhaps physics if you could stand it (I personally couldn't)

I'd take law...

as long as you have the 2 core subjects and a reasonably respected subjects you will do well ^^
Reply 10
Rainbow-Dream
I'm currently in year at school and really want to be a doctor. I'm undecided exactly what to take for a level though. I'm definately taking
Maths
Biology
Chemistry
Psychology
Physics
Further Maths
or French
for my last option. I come from a native french speaking country so unsure whether taking french (which was my original fourth option) would be of use. Would the university think I took the "easy way out" by taking french, and would simply putting I can speak french be enough (as it was my first language)?

Psychology and physics are both good options. Further Maths - some med schools won't count it as a separate subject from maths and most people I know take it as a 5th subject. French - because it's your first language, it's difficult to know what universities will think, but contacting them to ask might be a good idea.
Reply 11
Rainbow-Dream
I come from a native french speaking country so unsure whether taking french (which was my original fourth option) would be of use. Would the university think I took the "easy way out" by taking french, and would simply putting I can speak french be enough (as it was my first language)?

Take French as an add on. If it is your mother tongue then surerly you don't need to attend any lessons to be able to pass an A level in it? I took Polish A level in year 12 and all I had to do was turn up for exams and do a bit of coursework. It was accepted by Unis I have applied to as a part of an offer, which took a pressure of doing well in other subjects.
Reply 12
Rainbow-Dream
Maths
Biology
Chemistry
Psychology
Physics
Further Maths
or French

You could take it in one year (as has been suggested I think) instead of doing the full two year course. I did that (I lived abroad and went to french schools) and it was useful because one of my offers for medicine counts that french A level, so now I just need AB as I've got the other A.

Having said that, some unis don't accept the early A level so you'd still need to be doing 3 in the 2nd year...

Would you enjoy it dyou reckon?

Latest

Trending

Trending