Results are out! Find what you need...fast. Get quick advice or join the chat
Hey there Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

Star Wars Episode 1 - I'm missing something?

This thread is sponsored by:
Announcements Posted on
    • 0 followers

ReputationRep:
    What's the deal with slagging this film off? What's so bad about it?

I admit, it was the first Star Wars film I watched, and as that, I thought it was fairly good film. I then watched Episode 2 & 3 as they were released, before finally watching the original trilogy a few years back. People say the name "Phantom Menace" and pause for laughter? What's so bad about it? Jar Jar Binks? Maybe that was a mistake, but I found him endearing. I admit I was 8 years at the time, and maybe it's just nostalgia that keeps me fond of this film, but can someone enlighten me as to why it gets/deserves the general disdain it suffers?
    • 0 followers

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by nigel_s)
    What's the deal with slagging this film off? What's so bad about it?

I admit, it was the first Star Wars film I watched, and as that, I thought it was fairly good film. I then watched Episode 2 & 3 as they were released, before finally watching the original trilogy a few years back. People say the name "Phantom Menace" and pause for laughter? What's so bad about it? Jar Jar Binks? Maybe that was a mistake, but I found him endearing. I admit I was 8 years at the time, and maybe it's just nostalgia that keeps me fond of this film, but can someone enlighten me as to why it gets/deserves the general disdain it suffers?
    I thought it was ok. I think people make fun of the opening credit sequence which seems to go on about politics and the senate instead of great battles and adventures.
    • 6 followers

ReputationRep:
    Because it is rubbish, badly acted, has a poor narrative, it has none of the magic of the old films, it is generally a CG mess, anakin is incredibly annoying, jar jar binks is the worst character of all time, too long

Oh and because George Lucas is a terrible director, Empire Strikes Back is amazing, you know why? Because he didn't direct it!!!!

It is also like raping someones childhood memories, it started with the Ewoks, and it became even worse in the new films
    • 3 followers

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by a_t)
    Because it is rubbish, badly acted, has a poor narrative, it has none of the magic of the old films, it is generally a CG mess, anakin is incredibly annoying, jar jar binks is the worst character of all time, too long

Oh and because George Lucas is a terrible director, Empire Strikes Back is amazing, you know why? Because he didn't direct it!!!!

It is also like raping someones childhood memories, it started with the Ewoks, and it became even worse in the new films
    My uncle gets really, really angry if you mention Ewoks to him, I'm fairly sure he'd pass out if you talked about Jar-Jar in front of him!
    • 2 followers

ReputationRep:
    It wasn't as bad as people make out, but Jar Jar Binks was inexcusable. He was a terrible character.
    • 9 followers

ReputationRep:
    The third film was the most ridiculous of the lot I feel.
    Not gonna rant about it, but if you like star wars, I think that will be near the bottom :p:
    • 0 followers

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Bubblebee)
    My uncle gets really, really angry if you mention Ewoks to him, I'm fairly sure he'd pass out if you talked about Jar-Jar in front of him!
    Why do all the hardcore fans hate Jar-Jar?
    • 6 followers

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Bubblebee)
    Very understandable, I started laughing when I saw this in the film;

• 1 follower

ReputationRep:
    All the hardcore fans started taking the films too seriously, then when Phantom Menace came out it seemed too childish to them (though I believe Lucas said they are meant to be films for children) basically. I used to quite like Jar Jar but I found him annoying last time I watched it... I must be getting old
    • 0 followers

ReputationRep:
    I liked Jar Jar.

I thought the prequel movies were generally okay apart from the 2nd (Jesus Christ, that was horrible). You can't really beat The Empire Strikes Back though.
    • 1 follower

ReputationRep:
    Darth Maul :yep: I lolled when he fell down that tube. :smile:
    • 0 followers

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Gaara.)
    The third film was the most ridiculous of the lot I feel.
    Not gonna rant about it, but if you like star wars, I think that will be near the bottom :p:
    I thought the third was the worst of the 3 prequel films. It felt like they were trying to tie up the loose ends and trying way too hard.
    • 1 follower

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by a_t)

South Park? anyway i agree with pretty much everything you said. It all went wrong when he tried to use characters other than C3PO and R2 D2 for the comic relief
    • 0 followers

ReputationRep:
    Another thing I don't understand is the George Lucas bashing. What is with that? He created the whole universe. It seems to me like biting off the hand that feeds you.
    • 6 followers

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by rich2606)
    South Park? anyway i agree with pretty much everything you said. It all went wrong when he tried to use characters other than C3PO and R2 D2 for the comic relief
    Actually no but now you mention it must have been in my subconscious, that episode was the only good one of season 12, those scenes of raping indiana jones had me in hysterics, see the pirates one today?
    • 0 followers

ReputationRep:
    I think the new 3 are good, but when compared to the origonals theres just no compitition.

I really like Episode 3 though.
    • 9 followers

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by nigel_s)
    I thought the third was the worst of the 3 prequel films. It felt like they were trying to tie up the loose ends and trying way too hard.
    I know, it was so retarded how everything panned out in the end. It was as pointless as the last 30 minutes of return of the king :laugh:

(Original post by a_t)
    Actually no but now you mention it must have been in my subconscious, that episode was the only good one of season 12, those scenes of raping indiana jones had me in hysterics, see the pirates one today?
    I liked the priates episode :p:
    • 3 followers

ReputationRep:
    I know I went to see the third film twice, and I know I have it on dvd but I actually can't remember a single moment of it.
    • 1 follower

ReputationRep:
    I hate people who slag off Episode I, it's just as good as the rest of the Saga. Any true Star Wars fan loves all the films (like I do). It was the first Star Wars film I saw and I became obsessed with it tbh, I've seen it like 35 times now lol. It's my favourite of the Saga and this shocks people. The Duel of the Fates scene is the best lightsaber fight ever. Darth Maul is godly.
    • 6 followers

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by AsphyxiateD)
    I hate people who slag off Episode I, it's just as good as the rest of the Saga. Any true Star Wars fan loves all the films (like I do). It was the first Star Wars film I saw and I became obsessed with it tbh, I've seen it like 35 times now lol. It's my favourite of the Saga and this shocks people. The Duel of the Fates scene is the best lightsaber fight ever. Darth Maul is godly.
    By that reasoning there are about 50 true star wars fans in the world

Submit reply

Register

Thanks for posting! You just need to create an account in order to submit the post
  1. this can't be left blank
    that username has been taken, please choose another Forgotten your password?
  2. this can't be left blank
    this email is already registered. Forgotten your password?
  3. this can't be left blank

6 characters or longer with both numbers and letters is safer

4. this can't be left empty
    your full birthday is required
  1. By joining you agree to our Ts and Cs, privacy policy and site rules

2. Slide to join now Processing…

Updated: May 4, 2009
New on TSR

What do you think of the BBC?

UK Parliament wants to hear your views

Article updates
Useful resources

Articles:

TSR wiki film section

Quick link:

Unanswered film threads

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups
Reputation gems:
You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.