The Student Room Group

The AEA/Oxford/S Paper superthread

Scroll to see replies

I still have to revise for physics :sad: ... but its all for AEA after next week :p:
Reply 21
Any function f(x)f(x) whose graph y=f(x)y=f(x) has reflective symmetry in the line y=xy=x will have that property I think. For example, f(x)=x+cf(x)=-x+c, f(x)=1xf(x)=\frac{1}{x}, etc.
Reply 22
What other definition would you (an A-level student) use?
Was the 2001 specimen (available from the warwick website) an actual oficial specimen? I ask because I thought the questions were very straight-forward compared to other papers I've done so far. On this one I managed to finish all the questions in about 45 minutes, whereas normally I wouldn't a) Finish all the questions entirely b) Let alone so quickly c) Make no mistakes d)not have to stop to think before diving straight into anwering any of the questions. Note: also, the 2002 specimen was one of the trickiest papers I've seen so far.. It just doesn't fit the pattern...
Reply 24
8 Horizontal
Was the 2001 specimen (available from the warwick website) an actual oficial specimen? I ask because I thought the questions were very straight-forward compared to other papers I've done so far. On this one I managed to finish all the questions in about 45 minutes, whereas normally I wouldn't a) Finish all the questions entirely b) Let alone so quickly c) Make no mistakes d)not have to stop to think before diving straight into anwering any of the questions. Note: also, the 2002 specimen was one of the trickiest papers I've seen so far.. It just doesn't fit the pattern...

Just did a quick check and 2001 specimen is in my past paper pack so yes it must have been an official specimen. This is normal however for specimen papers, many are much easier than the papers that follow in subsequent years
hmm it is really annoying to see how they increase the difficulty of the paper each year ... i mean the 2005 paper was sooo easy compared to the 07/08 paper... hmm
darkness9999
hmm it is really annoying to see how they increase the difficulty of the paper each year ... i mean the 2005 paper was sooo easy compared to the 07/08 paper... hmm

Hmm.. I found the 2004 paper the worst so far and the 2002 the easiest (excluding specimens)... 2005/2003 were ok aswell though...
NesQuiK.
Just did a quick check and 2001 specimen is in my past paper pack so yes it must have been an official specimen. This is normal however for specimen papers, many are much easier than the papers that follow in subsequent years

Well I only found the 2002 Specimen easier than the 2004 paper so far...

Still got 06/07/08 to go though
Reply 28
8 Horizontal
Well I only found the 2002 Specimen easier than the 2004 paper so far...

Still got 06/07/08 to go though

Sill got all of them to do :p:
How long do you take to do each paper on avg?
8 Horizontal
Hmm.. I found the 2004 paper the worst so far and the 2002 the easiest (excluding specimens)... 2005/2003 were ok aswell though...

oh yeah that was a taff one... the questions I couldn't do were 4(b) and 5(d) ... killer
NesQuiK.
Sill got all of them to do :p:
How long do you take to do each paper on avg?

Varies quite abit but usually between 2 hours and 2h30...

darkness9999
oh yeah that was a taff one... the questions I couldn't do were 4(b) and 5(d) ... killer

Ye it was abit of a pain... for question 4 (i) they listed like 6 different ways of doing it yet I did it a different way.. I definately showed 'em :rolleyes:
Reply 31
Wish i could do that. Still got another 9 'real' exams to bash out in the next two weeks :work:
Reply 32
Too many. FM was a last min decision (ie couple of months ago), so im sitting the majority of modules for that plus all the A2 maths modules. Then theres all the others for the other 3 subjects....
You made the right decision getting A2 Maths out the way now:yep:
Reply 33
Not too far off the mark!
Reply 34
After finishing all my exams I looked to revise for AEA maths, opened a paper and can only do the trig questions.

No chance I'm learning this in a week. So i have given up before I even start :smile: Nothing makes sense xD Is it too late to withdraw, should i just write pretty love letters to the examiner? :smile: I think that's my best option.
ste0731
No chance I'm learning this in a week. So i have given up before I even start :smile: Nothing makes sense xD Is it too late to withdraw, should i just write pretty love letters to the examiner? :smile: I think that's my best option.

You shouldn't need to learn anything - it's merely a test of C1-C4 content which you should be familiar with.

It is notably more difficult than A level papers, especially the later questions, but you only need ~55% for a merit so if you plough through past papers you'll be giving yourself the best possible chance.

Also, feel free to post any questions you're having trouble with if you'd like to get help from the lovely people on f38! :yep:
Reply 36
Hashshashin
You shouldn't need to learn anything - it's merely a test of C1-C4 content which you should be familiar with.

It is notably more difficult than A level papers, especially the later questions, but you only need ~55% for a merit so if you plough through past papers you'll be giving yourself the best possible chance.

Also, feel free to post any questions you're having trouble with if you'd like to get help from the lovely people on f38! :yep:

I think the difficulty of even accessing past papers is an immediate nightmare with many requiring passwords on the edexcel website. And the lack of mark schemes altogether to follow through worked examples when you get stuck is a complete nightmare.

Any links i'm following to past papers are leading to dead sites that are no longer used or sites that don't actually host any PDF files. It just feels like a dead race. Reading any material in here just makes no sense either, i think the problem was I maybe learnt what is required for C4 and not the theory behind any differentation or intagration.

I'll re-evaluate over night, but i think it's best i relax for a week. And spend a summer self-teaching Fp2-4 and reading various books to help my understanding of mathematics. Instead of attempting the impossible.
ste0731
I think the difficulty of even accessing past papers is an immediate nightmare with many requiring passwords on the edexcel website. And the lack of mark schemes altogether to follow through worked examples when you get stuck is a complete nightmare.

Any links i'm following to past papers are leading to dead sites that are no longer used or sites that don't actually host any PDF files. It just feels like a dead race. Reading any material in here just makes no sense either, i think the problem was I maybe learnt what is required for C4 and not the theory behind any differentation or intagration.

I'll re-evaluate over night, but i think it's best i relax for a week. And spend a summer self-teaching Fp2-4 and reading various books to help my understanding of mathematics. Instead of attempting the impossible.

PAST PAPERS
Reply 38
darkness9999

:woo: :woo: Thanks. The link in first post was just giving me examiners reports. Had a quick read over to spot the mistakes and will remember not to make them mistakes. I usually struggle starting a question, once i get past the first two lines of working I am usually fine :smile: I guess I will put some work in for a week and try get a merit.
ste0731
:woo: :woo: Thanks. The link in first post was just giving me examiners reports. Had a quick read over to spot the mistakes and will remember not to make them mistakes. I usually struggle starting a question, once i get past the first two lines of working I am usually fine :smile: I guess I will put some work in for a week and try get a merit.

I'm aiming for the same grade :smile: ... you will get the hang of it ... just try to do some questions ... sometimes its fun :p:

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending