The Student Room Group

BTEC Health Studies to get into Uni!

I'm doing my AS Levels now and am really not enjoying it. The only subject I like is Biology and it's the only one I do well in, I'm at a B in it whereas I'm at C/D grade in my other subjects which is absolutely rubbish. I don't know how I've gone this low because I got A*AAABBBBC at GCSE. Anyways I was thinking of going to college to do the two year Health Studies course.. I want a career in nursing, healthcare or working with children but I'm not decided yet. I wanted to know if this is any use with getting into Uni. I've heard that people have been accepted to Unis but I haven't really seen it on the entry requirements on Uni websites, so I wouldn't want to stop A Levels and swap to this just to find I wouldn't get into Uni! Also, I'm unsure what I wanna do after F/E so if I did two years in college it would give me time to decide with all the placements that you do on the course. It's a coursework-based course, but I don't think that'll be a problem as I did Health and Social at GCSE which was coursework based and got A* and A in it. Any advice would be appreciated please :biggrin: And if I was gonna apply for it I would have to pretty soon which I was I need some quick advice lol.. thanks.
Reply 1
Well you're still going to finish you're AS levels? So if you do decide to transfer onto the BTEC then you'd still have AS levels under your belt. Even with just a BTEC, your plans are fairly realistic, but the extra AS levels will only be a good thing. So please keep going with them and try your best. It's only a few more weeks.

People will tell you that universities, or at least the "top 20/30" universities don't accept BTECs. But even this isn't strictly true. Even some top ten universities accept them for certain subjects. Even in subjects where BTECs aren't strictly mentioned in the entry requirements, universities may still consider alternative qualifications and it will depend on the person's situation and experieces. For example, a mature student (which I know you aren't) who had a BTEC can have a good chance of gaining entry to a good degree if they're able to offer appropriate proffesional experience and maybe other qualifications.

Anyway, when it comes to nursing there a number of universities who'll accept BTEC National Diplomas. Salford, for example

http://www.salford.ac.uk/course-finder/course/1555

"The minimum entry criteria must include:

GCSE/O level: 2 passes grade A, B or C to include English Langauge or Literature and Mathematics (or approved equivalent).

Plus one of the following.................
BTEC National Diploma: M/M/M "

Salford's just one example, there are others.

Are you interested in sociol work? As you may be able to work with children.
Reply 2
Im not sure about social work.. more of the nursing side of it i think.
Reply 3
Btec health studies is pretty much the best btec in terms of what course it will get you on

you will steal places from other a level leavers if you try for nursing/soicial work , its simply the best course for any health or soical based degrees.

allso good for anything else tbh , cuz of the high amount of coursework
Reply 4
You sound clever, and I honestly think you'd be bored doing BTEC health studies. I would stick with the AS Levels for this year - it will get better
Reply 5
having done a level science and btec medical science i will tell you now the btec was much much harder i had to hier a chemical enginer as a tutor as the uni guy trying to tutor me didnt know the first thing the questions where asking of him take from that what you will

Latest