The Student Room Group

Anharmonicity constants

Ill stay to start with this is well above School level, it's second year degree stuff :P

But given a vibrational peak on a spectrum, how do I work out an anharmonicity constant, as Ive been battling with a question through the Easter break :P. I dont want an answer (hence why Im not giving any numbers) but just a way to work it out (before I have a nervous breakdown :frown: )

There is positive rep availiable if any comes up with anything :P
Reply 1
I'm pretty sure you'll need more than one peak. The harmonic model predicts that vibrational levels are evenly spaced; the anharmonic term corrects for the experimental fact that they become closer in energy with increasing quantum number. To find the anharmonicity term I think you need multiple peaks.
Reply 2
Okay, Im useless and forget to add I had a fundamental band and a first overtone :P, sorry Kaeroll
Reply 3
DMed
Okay, Im useless and forget to add I had a fundamental band and a first overtone :P, sorry Kaeroll

No problem. I figured as much. :-) It'd be really handy if this board had LaTeX right about now... (edit- apparently it does. Cheers EVS)

According to my course notes from my second year, the energy of a given level is:
G(V)=(V+12)  ν(V+12)2  ν  χeG(V) = (V + \frac{1}{2})\;\nu - (V + \frac{1}{2})^{2}\; \nu \; \chi_{e}
Where v is the quantum number, v is the classical frequency, and Xe is the anharmonicity constant. Do you know v?

If you do it's probably simplest to calculate the energy of each level and work out the difference, which is then equal to:

Δ  G(V)=ν(12  χe)\Delta\;G(V) = \nu (1 - 2\;\chi_{e})
TSR does have latex :smile:

Use the [noparse]stuffstuff[/noparse] tags = stuffstuff

Gv=(v+12)v(v+12)2vXeG_v = (v + \frac{1}{2})v - (v + \frac{1}{2})^2vX_e
Reply 5
Ahh. Didn't see it in the options so figured it wasn't there. I'll go back and edit my post now. Cheers.
Reply 6
So classical frequency is the IR spectrum wavenumber times the speed of light?
Reply 7
Also (sorry for posting a double post) but dont you need to know the anharmonicity constant to determing the difference, Im confused :'(.
Reply 8
Do yourself a favour. Buy this book and read it:

Fundamentals of Molecular Spectroscopy by Colin Banwell.
Reply 9
Cheers, Ill have a look in the library for that when Im back in Liverpool :smile:
Reply 10
I thought it was required reading for a 1st year undergraduate...What have you been using to teach yourself spectroscopy?
Reply 11
Percy145
I thought it was required reading for a 1st year undergraduate...What have you been using to teach yourself spectroscopy?

We dont teach ourselves, we have a lecture course in QM and spectroscopy in first year, which I passed at a good standard. Our recommended reading is:

Housecroft and Constable Chemistry (it's not in there), which was the recommended reading for my spec course

Atkins Physical Chemistry 8th edn (it's not in there)

CGW&W Organic Chemistry (deffo not in there)

Housecroft and Sharpe Inorganic Chemistry (again, not in there)

Iggo Inorganic Spectroscopy (again more about the methods rather than the theory)

Reply 12
Atkins, 8th edn, chapter 13, section 11 (p. 455)

That said, I recommend 'Modern Spectroscopy' by J. M. Hollas above all else.
Reply 13
Just to update, I still havent got any further (been told to write a lab report out again has kinda put a stop to it), but apparently I need to determing the AC simultaneously :s-smilie:, Im thinking my lecturer maybe the next stop :P

Cheers to everyone up to now :biggrin:

Latest