The Student Room Group

Help: Is it possible to defer an offer?

I have an offer to read Law in October but wondered if it would be possible to ask for a deferal without then risking losing my place? My medical situation is such that it may be reasonable to consider defering for a year before begining to study. If a deferal is not possible I will go on to study this year but it would be helpful to know what options are available given the circumstances.
Reply 1
katarina_hovden
I have an offer to read Law in October but wondered if it would be possible to ask for a deferal without then risking losing my place? My medical situation is such that it may be reasonable to consider defering for a year before begining to study. If a deferal is not possible I will go on to study this year but it would be helpful to know what options are available given the circumstances.

Ring the college, but yes I imagine that would be fine.
Reply 2
They are much more considerate when its medical rather than 'just because'. Contact the college and it will probably be fine.
katarina_hovden
but wondered if it would be possible to ask for a deferal without then risking losing my place?

There is no way in the world you will lose your place merely for exploring options. Have a discussion with the admissions tutor; there may be a way forward, there may not, but you won't lose your offer unless you choose not to take it up or don't meet the requirements.
Thanks, that's very reassuring. I have an unconditional place as I'm a post A-level student so I am guaranteed a place already. It helps to know that the possibility is there though.
The best thing you can do is get in touch with the admissions office and talk to them direct.

There's a fairly well set out system for students who need to take time out for medical reasons while they're here, and a certain amount of that will apply to people who are due to start as well.

One thing to be aware of, is people generally take most kindly to making special arrangements when they've had as much warning as possible. So get in touch, let them know what's up and what the options are, and find out what the options are from the college, rather than springing it on them the last week in September, or even worse around when A levels come out.

Latest

Trending

Trending