The Student Room Group

100-150 calories a day but not anorexic

I'm not anorexic and nor do I ever want to be. I know I don't have a mental disordor but I'm worried non-the-less. I'm not scarily thin and I don't want to be so thin that all my bones come out. I just want to get back to my lowest weight of and be happy as last year being fat I've just been so miserable.
Anyway, since October I've cut out my caloires to 300 or so. There's never been a day since then that I've eaten more then that. Now this year I've become even more strict. I've been eating 150 caloires since March. The last 4 weeks I've been exercising off everything I eat every day plus more (except one day when I missed my exercise). I burn off 250 calories and eat around 100-115 caloires per day now. The weird thing is that I don't feel ill. I feel a lot better then I did before and look better too but obviously I'm still big.
The worst thing is that I know how wrong this is; I work in a hospital on placement and am doing a medicine related course. I know how bad it is but I can't seem to stop. My aim is to continue this for another 6 months but I want to know what exactly is happening to my body. I know I'm messing it up that's obvious but it was already messed from the start. I'm scared though

Scroll to see replies

Anonymous
I'm not anorexic and nor do I ever want to be. I know I don't have a mental disordor but I'm worried non-the-less. I'm not scarily thin and I don't want to be so thin that all my bones come out. I just want to get back to my lowest weight of and be happy as last year being fat I've just been so miserable.
Anyway, since October I've cut out my caloires to 300 or so. There's never been a day since then that I've eaten more then that. Now this year I've become even more strict. I've been eating 150 caloires since March. The last 4 weeks I've been exercising off everything I eat every day plus more (except one day when I missed my exercise). I burn off 250 calories and eat around 100-115 caloires per day now. The weird thing is that I don't feel ill. I feel a lot better then I did before and look better too but obviously I'm still big.
The worst thing is that I know how wrong this is; I work in a hospital on placement and am doing a medicine related course. I know how bad it is but I can't seem to stop. My aim is to continue this for another 6 months but I want to know what exactly is happening to my body. I know I'm messing it up that's obvious but it was already messed from the start. I'm scared though

How do you eat so little? Thats no more than two pieces of white bread a day? Surely youd be faint all the time? I think you do have a mental disorder associated with eating and exercise and youre in denial - anyone who rests their happiness on being as small as possible has a skewed view of themselves and weight. You should talk to someone asap and get yourself on track of eating 1800 calories a day in a healthy regime with appropriate (not excessive) exercise. Talk to a doctor? Or below:

B-EAT

beat Helpline
0845 634 1414

[email protected]
Reply 2
That's pretty much the lowest you can go and I'm surprised you're not feeling ill yet. Why the rush to get back to this weight and is this lowest weight of yours healthy?
Reply 3
Anonymous

Your body would probably use 1000-1500 cals a day if all you did was sleep....for some reason, call it common sense if you will, i dont quite believe you
You need to get help.
Reply 5
STOP.

if you aren't feeding yourself properly, then your body won't work properly.

Can you just eat smaller meals? and replace fatty foods with fruit?

I've lost a stone and a half doing the same thing for 2 months.
Reply 6
On that sort of calorie intake your body could be shutting down quite quickly. 300 since october and you should, by rights, be in hospital. I don't know how your body was when you started this, but you could well be burning off protein and muscle now to survive. on 150kcal a day, you need help quickly.
Reply 7
You're body uses calories constantly to function, I would be very surprised if you aren't causing it some kind of long term harm.

If you can't seem to stop then it is a mental disorder. It's not healthy, you might want to lose weight but this is not a good way to do it. You need to eat healthily but you also need your recommended calorie intake (about 2000 calories a day) You're not even eating 1/20th of this, plus you're exercising. This will make you very ill in the long term.

Don't try to go straight back to 2000 a day, but perhaps increase your daily intake by a little each day until you get up to a better level (I would say at least 1500) and keep up exercise. Please listen to everyone, you know it's not doing you any good.

Good Luck and I hope you get everything sorted :smile:
:doctor:

or

:troll:
You say you're not anorexic and then that you're severely restricting your calories. You are anorexic. If your bmi is still above 18, then you're not "clinically" anorexic, but your eating habits, assuming they're as consistent as you say, are clearly anorexic. Bear in mind that <900 cal is a starvation diet. If you keep on this way, your bmi will soon become clinically anorexic and head even lower. The girls I know who eat as little as you (and exercise it off) are not only anorexic but have bmis of <15. Feeling better about not eating is a key anorexic thing. The extreme willpower you go to when you restrict makes you feel mentally stronger. Be careful about imagining that you're healthy just because you don't want to have bones showing.

Once you already have the anorexic mentality, you start to find one goal isn't good enough after you've made it. Having your bones show may seem undesirable to you now, but surely you once thought it was abnormal to eat only 150 calories?? Be careful: when you become anorexic, your paradigm/ways of thinking and seeing the world change in little steps at a time, and you can soon find yourself thinking 5 stone as a weight is normal and desirable. Anorexics are seldom satisfied with the weight they've lost. The desire to lose weight stems from outside problems that you can't control: you take all your problems and insecurities and see them represented in fat. And you imagine if you lose weight, you'll have control and things will get better. But they're still there, and you feel compelled to lose more weight.
Reply 11
lodzinski
On that sort of calorie intake your body could be shutting down quite quickly. 300 since october and you should, by rights, be in hospital. I don't know how your body was when you started this, but you could well be burning off protein and muscle now to survive. on 150kcal a day, you need help quickly.

Ditto!!

Your stomach will be shrinking too so you might not feel as hungry but you will find it really painful to start eating healthily again, may even need to be put on liquid or IV suppliments to sort out your balances again.

You may not think you have an eating disorder but admitting that you know there's something wrong with the way you're living your life, is a step in the right direction. You need to speak to someone who can steadily help you to lose weight and healthily and possibly more effectively too, doctors, nutritionists, gym trainers, will all help you. Good luck x
Reply 12
I think you need to rethink the definition of anorexia.
Reply 13
Have a look at http://caloriecount.about.com/ it is a really good website that will help you balance your eating with your exercise. It tells you exactly how many calories you should be eating each day to lose weight (to the goal that you set) at a healthy rate. I have found it really useful in working out how to begin weight loss and healthy eating.
I'm sorry, that is pretty much classic anorexia. Cutting down your calorie intake and overly exercising too. Why do you do it?
I'd suggest visiting your doctor and telling him/her what's going on, perhaps by giving them a letter explaining the situation, you could even print out your post...
You might THINK you are healthy, and look better than before, but in reality you probably don't.
Either that or you are seriously miscalculating your calories.
You are anorexic and you need to see a doctor. As for not feeling ill, and feeling better than you did before, you probably have starvation euphoria
Reply 17
Anonymous

I dont profess to know anything about anorexia , but it sounds to me like you *are* anorexic. I dont know how your body is coping on so few calories a day, nor how long you can continue to eat so little on a daily basis. It says in your post that you are on a medicine related course and doing a placement. Now I could be wrong but I take that to mean you are doing either nursing or another MDT course......When I was on placement I needed lots of calories to get me through a 14 hour shift. You say you feel better now, but I think it purely psychological , in that you feel you have control over your food intake and weight.

You dont say how "big" you are now, nor what weigt you are hoping to get to. But there are a lot of safer ways of losing weight.

I feel you need some professional help
Reply 18
sorry love, you're in denial. no one can willingly put themselves through eating so little without having some eating disorder. and you said you were depressed when you were fat and you want to get to your lowest weight.
sounds to me that you are already quite skinny and just want attention. if you didnt think you had a disorder you wouldnt be posting this.
i just hope someone gets to you before you end up being admitted into hospital.
Either :troll: or get to a doctor. You are not eating enough. You need at least 1200 calories a day.

Latest