The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

Reply 20
is summer pool as bad as winter pool?
xyro
is summer pool as bad as winter pool?

It depends what you mean by bad. Do you mean the feeling? Cos I'd imagine that's worse in the summer pool, though I've not been through either...
Reply 22
i can probably lay claim to the longest wait without any phone calls. I got pooled from trinity for economics but no phone call came for re interview so i was gutted but had thought lse would be cool but on the last day possible jan 13th i received a straight offer from magdalene.

Jan 13th was the last possible day for straight offers without re interview
Michelle2
One of my friends doing Classics at Trinity Hall had a total of 9 interviews! I can't remember precisely how many he had per College, but he applied to King's and had his Classics backup on at Trinity, then when he was pooled, he was re-interviewed by King's and had further interviews at Christs's, before finally being accepted by Trinity Hall without an interview. Unsurprisingly, his Latin teacher swore never to let any of his students apply to Cambridge fo Classics ever again!

so you get to choose a backup college if you apply for classics?

oh dear, the number of interviews :frown:
specialhelen
to put my little bit in
the letters were late then it was the fun pool.
was like waiting on the phone every evening following the pool letter. then about 3 days lateer got a call saying they wanted to reinterview me- groan!!! so was like ok thats cool. then it was like ring u back tomorrow. a few days later and i rang them. this was the 6th of januray for the first call and the interview was 13th ish. i got a lettter from a second college inviting me to interview but still no news from the first.
therefore confused and waiting over the phone i decided to call them. aparently both colleges thought the other would be calling!!!!!
this is where it was like no - they needed me down on two days, first interivew at 10.30 on the friday and second at 3.40 on the saturday, therefore to nights in cam!!!
after the second interivew i was given a preference form for the two colleges to fill in and post in the next two days. they were like we will ring in the next week.
therefore the waiting started all over again. on the tuesday i got a voicemail messge saying ring back but only becuase they had not got my order of preference form (darn royal mail) and therefore it was back to waiting.
the wednesday the joyous p2 and p4 exam combination, came out and guess what another missed call but with no number left (the one in the phone is just a mesage saying cam has called work out which bit for ur self). then there was a frantic 1/2 hour where i went around trying to find a prospectus. when at last it was found and i had got my nerves up i rang back and finally got the news.
that was not a fun week!!! therefore i had the grand pleasure of 5 cambridge interviews at three colleges!!!
what a process. therefore it was 1.5 months, two trips to cam, some confusing letters and missed calls before i got an offer

lol you must have been so lucky, and special. :p:
Reply 25
darkenergy
so you get to choose a backup college if you apply for classics?

oh dear, the number of interviews :frown:

No, you're assigned to another college for a further interview to speed up pooling, should it be necessary. I had two interviews at John's, and a back-up interview, as it were, at Jesus.
but they don't tell you your backup college if you don't actually get pooled?
Reply 27
You have interviews at your backup College during the initial interview period in December, then, if you're pooled, there's a chance that your backup might pick you, as they have already interviewed you and will know whether they want to take you.
Reply 28
darkenergy
but they don't tell you your backup college if you don't actually get pooled?

No, I meant that you have all three interviews at once, the third one is just in case they have to pool you, makes things easier. I presume the reason is that most classicists are fairly self-selecting, and a relatively small number of people apply; doing the same thing for English or NatSci wouldn't be at all practicable.
Reply 29
are backup interviews just specific to certain subjects or something? cos i don't know of anyone who went through that at cambridge...i thought it was just oxford that interview people at several places at once
darkenergy
lol you must have been so lucky, and special. :p:

i think i was very lucky but now i have to work to for the grades. what a bind!!!
yeah i am very special - it normal takes ppl at least 5 mins from meeting me to come up with the discribtion "your quite special are u not" :p:
Reply 31
priya
are backup interviews just specific to certain subjects or something? cos i don't know of anyone who went through that at cambridge...i thought it was just oxford that interview people at several places at once

It's only done in Classics.
specialhelen
i think i was very lucky but now i have to work to for the grades. what a bind!!!
yeah i am very special - it normal takes ppl at least 5 mins from meeting me to come up with the discribtion "your quite special are u not" :p:

err... got to do some work for P4 and biology :frown: :frown: :frown: :frown: :frown: :frown: :mad:
I think I can boast the longest wait on the actual offer/pool/rejection letter: it came on the 11th of January! Fortunately I heard earlier through the email, I think on the 6th, because there was some fuss about the content of my offer. But even after the email I waited anxiously, because I felt I really needed a conformation of an offer on paper, before believing that it was real :redface:
Wow, I came back from Oxford on Tuesday 16/12/03 (such a long time ago now) and they posted the letter on the Wednesday (in a big envelope) and I received it the next day. How's that for fast?

My mum (who can't read English very well, bless her) woke me up (cos I was in bed) and was like, "What does this say? What does this say?"

I've used too many bracketed clauses.
Reply 35
Anne Elizabeth
I think I can boast the longest wait on the actual offer/pool/rejection letter: it came on the 11th of January! Fortunately I heard earlier through the email, I think on the 6th, because there was some fuss about the content of my offer. But even after the email I waited anxiously, because I felt I really needed a conformation of an offer on paper, before believing that it was real :redface:

erm no, could kindly cast your eyes to post #23
Well, I did mean the first letter in which it was mentioned whether you got an offer or rejection or was pooled and I assume you got that one before the 13th, but, please, correct me if I'm wrong :smile: And if it makes you feel any better: if we'd hold a who-had-the-most-exhausting-wait you would win :wink:
trachea
erm no, could kindly cast your eyes to post #23

She's talking about the initial decision letter, I believe.
Reply 38
I had my interview on the 8th of December, got pooled, had re-interviews etc but then didn't find out I had got an offer until the 20th Jan :eek: ...twas a really looooong wait
Reply 39
Was pooled by corpus and Jesus sent a letter that didn't arrive... so ihad to phone ans ask if there was any news (thinking i had been rejected) and then got told about my acceptance on the 1st of Feb.... heack of a long wait in the awful pool, nobody should have to go through that.

Latest