The Student Room Group
Students on campus, Nottingham University
University of Nottingham
Nottingham
Visit website

Scroll to see replies

MIKE ESSIEN IS QUITE SICK
this stereotype is really putting me of firming nottingham, even my own sister who went to nottingham and enjoyed thinks i wouldnt fit in at nottingham due 'toff/rah prominance'.......

Can't you see from most of the replies from current students that there are so many people here that you don't have to associate with any of these types of people if you don't want to?

What are you going to do when you go into the real world after the bubble that is university and realise that these people are around you and that you have to live and work with them?

You have to learn to get on with people that annoy you, it's a life skill as you'll be surrounded by people you probably don't like later on in life, so just get over it... there are Rahs and Toffs at practically every university, especially the 'good' ones, so it's not like Nottungham is standing alone in this.

To be perfectly frank, if you let it influence you to the point when you are reassessing firming Nottingham, more fool you for being so silly about it, in my opinion.
Students on campus, Nottingham University
University of Nottingham
Nottingham
Visit website
Christian_j
Can't you see from most of the replies from current students that there are so many people here that you don't have to associate with any of these types of people if you don't want to?

What are you going to do when you go into the real world after the bubble that is university and realise that these people are around you and that you have to live and work with them?

You have to learn to get on with people that annoy you, it's a life skill as you'll be surrounded by people you probably don't like later on in life, so just get over it... there are Rahs and Toffs at practically every university, especially the 'good' ones, so it's not like Nottungham is standing alone in this.

To be perfectly frank, if you let it influence you to the point when you are reassessing firming Nottingham, more fool you for being so silly about it, in my opinion.

lol ok den, at first i didnt care about the rah thing but when my own sister who went to nottingham has been telling me not to go there as i wont fit in etc....i start to have doubts
There are a lot of them, and they are annoying, but at least they offer some entertainment. You'll find enough normal people to be sure so don't let the rahs put you off.

It could be worse, as you will discover if you ever visit Exeter...
Reply 43
DorianGrey
There are a lot of them, and they are annoying, but at least they offer some entertainment. You'll find enough normal people to be sure so don't let the rahs put you off.

It could be worse, as you will discover if you ever visit Exeter...

Entertainment my arse. I saw you walking down Lenton Boulevard with your £50 Jack Wills tracksuit bottoms, your flip flops, and some unruly polo playing blond girl with unwashed hair!
Nimiza
Entertainment my arse. I saw you walking down Lenton Boulevard with your £50 Jack Wills tracksuit bottoms, your flip flops, and some unruly polo playing blond girl with unwashed hair!

Errr they were £80 thank you very much...
let rah girls be ! they're just blissfully innocent
yeah it's annoying to us because we don't understand how they think their fashion and the way they talk are attractive in any way, they do just look and sound like idiots, but they're not malicious or bad people or anything like that
I don't know any people like that but it's not as if they're ever gonna cause you any trouble, besides they are gonna make up like what .. 1% of the whole student population..
I guarantee it will make so little difference to you, don't decide on your unis based on the amount of upper/middle class people that are gonna be there , besides I assume we won't be going for the most expensive accomodation which is what they might/probably will.....
it;s basically just irrelevant
slugoffice
let rah girls be ! they're just blissfully innocent
yeah it's annoying to us because we don't understand how they think their fashion and the way they talk are attractive in any way, they do just look and sound like idiots, but they're not malicious or bad people or anything like that
I don't know any people like that but it's not as if they're ever gonna cause you any trouble, besides they are gonna make up like what .. 1% of the whole student population..
I guarantee it will make so little difference to you
, don't decide on your unis based on the amount of upper/middle class people that are gonna be there , besides I assume we won't be going for the most expensive accomodation which is what they might/probably will.....
it;s basically just irrelevant

Wrong. Here at Nottingham roughly 60-70% are rahs, and 80% Southerners.

Nothing wrong with that per se, just depends on whether people like that annoy you.

If they do, it's very hard to evade them.

You will find some friends here, certainly, it's a good uni with a lot of cool people in, but if you're not a rah, then don't come here expecting to get on with everyone and have interesting discussions with fellow students and meet new, exciting, individualistic people. You won't find amuch of that, I'm afraid.
I assume it is mainly working class people that have this hatred for so called 'rah's' and 'toffs'.

But People, People, People. Dont be silly.

If you dont like rich, WASP'y people who are slightly stuck up, then dont make a success of your life. Becuase trust me, if you intend on getting a well paid job in the city (like most grads) then you will be a) surrounded by and have to suck up to far far more rah's than at uni

and

b) you will probably become one yourself in the end.

Face it, the world is populated with stuck up rich people. Hey, i say if you cant beat them join them. Afterall, i would rather be surrounded with arrogant rich people my whole life living in a big house than on some council estate getting shot at - money and priviledge is meant to be a good thing afterall and im sure you all aspire to be rich (and are perhaps jealous of so called 'rah's')

By the way im not a 'rah' or rich, just saying it how it is.
AfghanistanBananistan
I assume it is mainly working class people that have this hatred for so called 'rah's' and 'toffs'.

But People, People, People. Dont be silly.

If you dont like rich, WASP'y people who are slightly stuck up, then dont make a success of your life. Becuase trust me, if you intend on getting a well paid job in the city (like most grads) then you will be a) surrounded by and have to suck up to far far more rah's than at uni

and

b) you will probably become one yourself in the end.

Face it, the world is populated with stuck up rich people. Hey, i say if you cant beat them join them. Afterall, i would rather be surrounded with arrogant rich people my whole life living in a big house than on some council estate getting shot at - money and priviledge is meant to be a good thing afterall and im sure you all aspire to be rich (and are perhaps jealous of so called 'rah's')

By the way im not a 'rah' or rich, just saying it how it is.

One major flaw in your argument: just because you have money does NOT mean you automatically are compelled to be a ****.

It's an issue with how people are brought up. My best mate here has two houses (one in Hampshire), and gets about 4 times as much money as I get per week. He could ask for more and get it, but he doesn't. His dad is an incredibly successful man and he's pretty loaded.

He is the most down to earth, reliable, kind person I have met here.

There are several people here who go around bringing shopping trollies up the lift and smashing them into people doors. There are people who go out partying every night of the week and blare out music in their rooms so people can't sleep. They are universally rahs.
I often find that some of the worst rahs are completely skint.
Hiphopopotamus
One major flaw in your argument: just because you have money does NOT mean you automatically are compelled to be a ****.

It's an issue with how people are brought up. My best mate here has two houses (one in Hampshire), and gets about 4 times as much money as I get per week. He could ask for more and get it, but he doesn't. His dad is an incredibly successful man and he's pretty loaded.

He is the most down to earth, reliable, kind person I have met here.

There are several people here who go around bringing shopping trollies up the lift and smashing them into people doors. There are people who go out partying every night of the week and blare out music in their rooms so people can't sleep. They are universally rahs.

You have completely missed the point of my argument - im not saying all rich people are arses - far from it.

What i am saying is that a lot of young, rich successful people in the city are often up themselves and 'rah' like, and many people strive to be in the same position as them. Not all people, but many - its the competitive culture of professionals.

As someone who has been in the city and Nottingham university, i know what i am talking about. Nottingham has lots of rah's, but compared to the big wide world of successful people it is nothing.

It gets my goat when fresh faced northerners with little life experience wont pick a uni simply because it has posh people, not realising that in their future life they will have to suck up to them everyday in order to get and keep a professional job.

This is what i am saying
AfghanistanBananistan
You have completely missed the point of my argument - im not saying all rich people are arses - far from it.

What i am saying is that a lot of young, rich successful people in the city are often up themselves and 'rah' like, and many people strive to be in the same position as them. Not all people, but many - its the competitive culture of professionals.

As someone who has been in the city and Nottingham university, i know what i am talking about. Nottingham has lots of rah's, but compared to the big wide world of successful people it is nothing.

It gets my goat when fresh faced northerners with little life experience wont pick a uni simply because it has posh people, not realising that in their future life they will have to suck up to them everyday in order to get and keep a professional job.

This is what i am saying

You should have made your argument clearer then.

I am far from a fresh faced Northerner, I've got a lot of life experience, for better or worse, and maybe that's why I find the immature, selfish behaviour of these rahs so annoying.

What do you class as a 'professional job'? I'm already a paid, established musician. I didn't have to suck up to immature pricks.

I've tried my best to get on the good side of those who I respect and have got standing in the music scene in the local cities. I wouldn't dislike sharing a pint with any of them.

I take your point concerning those who want to go into more traditional jobs, though why should someone actively WANT to do this? Why should they 'suck up to rah's' at uni? I don't understand it. If it's as ****** as you make out, why should they jump into doing it straight away?

Are you a southerner btw?
I can see what the guy's saying. The kids get it from somewhere, most notably their parents.

There are a lot of city professionals who are like 'grown-up' rahs, I doubt you get many in the music scene though, different culture I would say. Probably a lot more humble.
Hiphopopotamus
Wrong. Here at Nottingham roughly 60-70% are rahs, and 80% Southerners.

Nothing wrong with that per se, just depends on whether people like that annoy you.

If they do, it's very hard to evade them.

You will find some friends here, certainly, it's a good uni with a lot of cool people in, but if you're not a rah, then don't come here expecting to get on with everyone and have interesting discussions with fellow students and meet new, exciting, individualistic people. You won't find amuch of that, I'm afraid.

serius? jeesus
slugoffice
serius? jeesus

Yep, 70% of students are rahs and 80% are Southerners.

150% of Nottingham students are like this. :rolleyes: lol
Christian_j
Yep, 70% of students are rahs and 80% are Southerners.

150% of Nottingham students are like this. :rolleyes: lol

learn stats. rahs and southerners arnt mutually exclusive, if anything they are more correlated so that statement (may) actually have truth.

100% people in nottingham, of which 80% southerners, of which 87.5% are rahs.

geddit?
ronaldo91
learn stats. rahs and southerners arnt mutually exclusive, if anything they are more correlated so that statement (may) actually have truth.

100% people in nottingham, of which 80% southerners, of which 87.5% are rahs.

geddit?

*tried to make a joke that fell flat on its face* :frown:
so are you more likely to find "new exciting individualistic people" off campus in the cheaper halls? Also i applied for unis in the north in order to meet people who aren't all from london like me...retrospectively this may have been a mistake
Reply 58
slugoffice
serius? jeesus

Stinking Bishop?
um.....??

Latest

Trending

Trending