The Student Room Group

A question about Melbourne University

Firstly, when does the application period begin for applying to start in Australia in Jan 2010? I looked around the site and it just said application period closed, but didn't say a date when it opened again.

Secondly, According to http://www.eng.unimelb.edu.au/Undergrad/ there are 2 different options for engineering.

Either getting a bachelors in engineering in 4 years or getting a Bachelors in Science (or commerce, for example) and a masters in engineering in 5 years.

Which is the better one? Wouldn't it be better to get a bachelors in engineering instead of another subject if you intend to get a masters in engineering?
Reply 1
For the application period dates, I believe it is a "rolling admissions"... means you can apply anytime and applications are processed as they come in. In my case, I applied for Feb intake in July of the previous year. Take a look at this: http://www.futurestudents.unimelb.edu.au/apply/

Concerning the engineering degrees, you must first of all realise that some degree terminology in Australia are different than in other parts of the world. From what I gather, in Australia, the masters of engineering and the bachelor of engineering both can lead to professional accreditation, and you can work as an engineer with either one. Once you have a bachelors in engineering, you do not need to get a masters of engineering to work as an engineer.

The purpose of getting a bachelors in another discipline + a masters in engineering, is to broaden your experience and studies... so it is something like having a double degree/major. Depending on what your career goals are, that could be good or bad.

However please do not take my word completely on any of this, as I applied about 3 years ago and procedures might have changed especially with all the new changes happening lately with the new Melbourne Model.
Reply 2
You can apply now for Jan '10 entry. MelbU offers single honours B.Eng or dual-honours B.Eng combined with B.Sci/B.Com. Dual-honours is obviously better, but it takes one year extra plus double tuition fees. The entry requirement is BBC including A-level Maths and Physics.

Latest

Trending

Trending