The Student Room Group

how to become affiliated student?

Can anyone explain me situation of affiliated students? How can I become one of them? Nowdays I am studying for my BSc Animal science degree, but after that I' d like to do BA History. I know that I have to aplly for affiliated student status, and that course will be 2 years long. Is it possible to study history after animal science? Moreover I' ll be grateful for any infiormation about what can I do to make my application better and more attractive for recruitment office? And finally, which part of tripos is studied during this shorter course for affiliated students, first, second or maybe them are mixed in some way?
I will be very grateful for your help :biggrin:
Reply 1
AFAIK you jump straight into the second year, but maybe someone else can clarify that?
Reply 2
I don't know how it'd work for History - but in Law, you do the seven 'core modules' over the two years, so in the first year you do four first and second year subjects and get one choice. In the second year, you'll do three third year ones and get two choices.

You became an affiliate by applying just as if you were applying for an undergraduate (via UCAS etc) but when I applied there was a special form for affiliates which I think might've been phased out (check the Cam site).

It should be possible for you to study pretty much any undergraduate degree so long as there's no specific A-levels which are needed for it that you don't have.
Reply 3
Ad- Alta thank you very much :biggrin:, can you explain me few things more?? First of all, I'd like to know what are the "core modules", do you mean papers or something else? What are choices that you are writing about? And finally, I wonder how is it possible, that at Cambridge Uni papers bibliographies are so huge, while at others there are only few books? Do u really use them all? For example. one of history papers has abot 80 pages of bibliography :shock: ??
Reply 4
I doubt History has any core modules apart from Historical Argument and Practice (HAP). You would probably be expected to pick papers of a certain type, for instance one political and constitutional, one social and economic, and one european history, although I'm not exactly sure how it works for affiliated students rather than normal undergrads.
For History, the reading lists cover all the possible topics within a paper, but students taking the paper only study 7-8 of those topics. You also wouldn't have to read everything on a particular topic, but would be guided as to the most important reading by your supervisor.