The Student Room Group

BTEC Science in schools, is it a good idea?

My school has recently introduced the BTEC Science qualification into its curriculum because it wants to improve attainment in science subjects. Pupils who would struggle to pass the GCSE or who are expecting a low grade will do this as an alternative. It is a more practical approach to science and focuses more on coursework rather than theory. Science teachers implement more demonstrations into their teaching practice and set more experiments for the class to perform during lessons, when they teach the BTEC modules. There have been mixed feelings towards the BTEC and many members of staff are opposed to it, because they feel that it is not equivalant to a GCSE grade C, even though officially it is recognised as being so. They think that employers and colleges will not look at BTEC holders as having sufficient scientific knowledge.
Reply 1
Hi, Having just been through this with my daughter I can tell you that those members of staff who oppose the science BTEC are right to do so. This is what we were officially told by the education govt. after having been turned down for A'level applications despite a glowing school report and the predicted straight A's in her GCSE's. Although a BTEC in applied science is the EQUIVALENT of 3 GCSE's, it is NOT the same as. This is especially so if you want to pursue a single science at A/AS level.
Reply 2
But why is it not the same?

I'm taking a BTEC National Diploma (equivalent to 3 A-Levels) and I can tell you, we focus more on the subject compared to students who take the same subject but in A-Levels.

Latest

Trending

Trending