The Student Room Group

Declining an accepted funded offer to take the offer of another university?

I have accepted a funded offer for DPhil at oxford (deadline was 1 April to accept). Now I have been awarded a better place at cambridge. Can I now inform oxford that I am not taking the place and accept the offer at cambridge? Does anyone know the rules? Would this result in losing both places? I mean I prefer cam but oxford is great as well, I don't want to lose both!
no it'll be fine

get in touch with whoever asked you to formall accept the oxford offer in the first instance
Reply 2
sa78100
I have accepted a funded offer for DPhil at oxford (deadline was 1 April to accept). Now I have been awarded a better place at cambridge. Can I now inform oxford that I am not taking the place and accept the offer at cambridge? Does anyone know the rules?

I don't think there'll be any rules. Just let them know as soon as you can that you won't be accepting the offer after all. A polite email to the department should do.
Would this result in losing both places? I mean I prefer cam but oxford is great as well, I don't want to lose both!

Why would you lose both offers?:confused: All departments are aware that applicants can and do apply for more than one course and there is no rule saying you can't turn down one place in favour of another.
Reply 3
zdo0o
how did you apply to both?

The clue is in the word 'DPhil'. And in the name of this forum.:wink:
Reply 4
hobnob
The clue is in the word 'DPhil'. And in the name of this forum.:wink:

Down Hobnob, down :biggrin:
Reply 5
zdo0o
i still thought you could only apply to one, hence my question, but i seem to have been mistaken o.0

Oh, right. Sorry about the sarcasm, then, but you wouldn't believe how many people wander into threads on this forum and give UCAS-related advice...:p:
Anyway, yes, you can apply to both at postgraduate level.
Reply 6
hobnob
Oh, right. Sorry about the sarcasm, then, but you wouldn't believe how many people wander into threads on this forum and give UCAS-related advice...:p:
Anyway, yes, you can apply to both at postgraduate level.

The perils of the home page, methinks
Reply 7
LLB Kevin
The perils of the home page, methinks

:ditto:
And the blasted "latest threads" list, which doesn't tell you what forum something is in.:rolleyes:
Reply 8
hobnob
And the blasted "latest threads" list, which doesn't tell you what forum something is in.:rolleyes:

I've been busted by that a few times, especially when the thread is from the "About TSR" forum >_<.
Reply 9
hobnob

Yes it does.
Reply 10
tomoli
Yes it does.

Seriously? Even the one displayed on the "My TSR" tab? That must be a recent change, then.
Reply 11
hobnob
Seriously? Even the one displayed on the "My TSR" tab? That must be a recent change, then.

Mine does. Does yours not then?
Reply 12
tomoli
Mine does. Does yours not then?

I'll have to confess I don't know - I switched it off about a week after it was introduced because it annoyed me so much.

Looks like I'll have to take that back, then.:o:
Reply 13
hobnob
I'll have to confess I don't know - I switched it off about a week after it was introduced because it annoyed me so much.

Looks like I'll have to take that back, then.:o:

Well mine definitely definitely does. :smile:
Reply 14
Thank you all especially "hobnob" and "probably not".

Latest

Trending

Trending