The Student Room Group

How to get an A/A* in AQA english literature a

Scroll to see replies

You don't have to write a huge amount, it's quality not quantity - I got an A* with 1 1/2 pages on the novel and 3 pages on the poems. Don't waffle and waste your own time.
Whatever210
Yes. I never said you didn't :confused:

Okay, your structure just confused me. I thought I was giving my input on the wrong exam.
I'm currently a B in the exam and an A* in coursework, so any more tips?
Any one of the structures suggested will get you an A*.
One thing; know the poems, know the novel. It'll help.

To be honest I'm dreading the exam.
Basma
I really need help on this as well! I ramble too much and have no proper structure. Help guys!

The most helpful thing you can do is the easiest. Go onto the AQA website and they even have examples of answers that got A*s all the way down to a D grade. I took the exam in June this year and only found it the day before. It gives you ideas too. The A* one if you see it isn't even thaat good. Well it is but it's not something impossible.
Reply 25
If your courseworks like a b-/b what do you think i would need to get to get an a very high A ??
Reply 26
I'm not sure if it's wrong to be looking at this thread 45 minutes before my mock English lit exam :p:
I'm just going to follow some of the advice in here and use the PEEL structure along with Intro, Mood, Language, Structure and have a Conclusion. Cheers guys!
I got a A* in my english literature exam, and its completely true - it's quality not quantity. I chose the two part question in the exam, rather than focusing on three different poems at the time.
Personally, i feel i can focus a lot more on the quotations and themes..etc because my head pretty much gets into a mess in the exam where i have too many ideas that i want to write down but can't exactly or else it wouldn't make sense. So what i would advise you to do is sit down and practise which is better suited for you.
It really does make a grade difference.

I never really used the PEEL method people keep telling you about, because the essay doesn't flow as easily as it could, it sounds almost robotic, especially when you make a point, explain, back it up and then link to the question Every Single Paragraph. What worked for me was this little triangle i used to have in mind - a grade hierarchy was what my teacher used to call it lol. Fill all those, and your almost guaranteed a A.
As I cant really draw it here, its just basically (If i can remember it correctly)
A* - Originality
A - Symbols
B - Themes and Characters
C - Language analysis
D - Plot

Writing about what the poem is about (the plot) should only be about a line or two, just so that the examiner can understand the point in the poem you're referring to. What you should be doing in the first paragraph is explaining any symbols or whatever, anything that'll get you into the top band of the marks.

Interestingly, apparently people remember the first couple of points in a essay they read, as well as the last few points most. Try it yourself, it really does work :biggrin: So what you should be doing in the first paragraph is explaining any symbols or whatever, anything that'll get you into the top band of the marks, the same with your last paragraph. Best points at the beginning and the end.

But the only way to get a A-A* is by completing every single assessment objective in that little triangle. I suppose originality is just forming your own critical response, something the examiner will sense your teacher hasn't told you - try not to over do it though, it still has to be backed up by evidence.

Good luck!

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending