Results are out! Find what you need...fast. Get quick advice or join the chat
Hey there! Sign in to have your say on this topicNew here? Join for free to post

Time Spent Studying per Course Unit on Average?

Announcements Posted on
Applying to Uni? Let Universities come to you. Click here to get your perfect place 20-10-2014
    • 0 followers

ReputationRep:
    How much time do you spend studying per unit? That is, assuming you take four course units per year as most people do.

I've had essays almost every week since January, and I'm doing my last one as I type. My exams start and end incredibly early (May 5, 6, and two on the 12th!!!)

So I've only spent about 10 hours studying in total (during Easter in the midst of more essays, and traveling) and just feel so unbelievably screwed! And that wasn't even studying, that was mostly doing notes. I hope to finish my last essay by tomorrow night, leaving me a week before my first exam. ****

Last year I did pretty well, but that was almost 20 hours per unit and my exams were much more spread out.
    • 2 followers

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by drive like june)
    How much time do you spend studying per unit? That is, assuming you take four course units per year as most people do.
    I thought most people had six modules per year? We have six usually anyway and I would spend about 50 hours revision per module exam probably.
    • 0 followers

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by TheQueenOfComputerScience)
    I thought most people had six modules per year? We have six usually anyway and I would spend about 50 hours revision per module exam probably.
    Your six would include two half modules right? If so that's still four course units. If not, well, guess its different.
    • 3 followers

ReputationRep:
    We have, like, 8 modules this year?
    Anyways, nothing like enough yet, as I'm still just trying to finish the work from the end of last term.
    • 0 followers

ReputationRep:
    Durham does 6 modules a year, but they recommend 200 hours of independent learning per module (for economics, in any case).

Yeah, 200.

Back in reality-land, I've done about... maybe 100 hours for two of my modules, and probably about 50 for the rest.
    • 0 followers

ReputationRep:
    Just do it on a relative scale.

A 7.5 credit (or half module) module will get half the time cf a 15 credit module (the normal value of a module). A 30 credit (or double module) will get double the time.

At least while I write up notes, when it comes to doing papers I try and do as many as I can given the time provided :P
    • 2 followers

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by drive like june)
    Your six would include two half modules right? If so that's still four course units. If not, well, guess its different.
    Nope 6 full ones, cause some years you can do 5 full and 2 half. Oddly enough I just assumed all Universitys were structured like that.

Submit reply

Register

Thanks for posting! You just need to create an account in order to submit the post
  1. this can't be left blank
    that username has been taken, please choose another Forgotten your password?
  2. this can't be left blank
    this email is already registered. Forgotten your password?
  3. this can't be left blank

6 characters or longer with both numbers and letters is safer

4. this can't be left empty
    your full birthday is required
  1. By joining you agree to our Ts and Cs, privacy policy and site rules

2. Slide to join now Processing…

Updated: April 26, 2009
New on TSR

Personal statement help

Use our clever tool to create a PS you're proud of.

Article updates
Reputation gems:
You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.