Law League Tables and University Comparisons

Scroll to see replies

Reply 180
Onearmedbandit
I have. *grumbles*

Where? :smile:
Dreama
Where? :smile:

Oxford... at my 2nd interview the professor said to me: "oh.. only 3 A-levels, then? why was that?"

:bawling:
Reply 182
LauraWalker
Your under grad is not the end of the world. I will commence an LLM at Cambridge 2005. I did the under grad at Hull and in 2004 won the prize for the best LLB performance on the course. Hull did not stop me from getting mini-pupillages at the very top chambers in London alongside Oxbridge undergrads.

I also, sadly got one unexpected really ****** A-level which hammered previous strings of As

Well, your LLB prize must have meant you are one of the best in your year in terms of results - and congrats, by the way. Not everyone can manage that. So, yours is considered an exception to the general rule that the university matters substantially.
Reply 183
LauraWalker

I also, sadly got one unexpected really ****** A-level which hammered previous strings of As

Aww.

Well I'm sure the Cambridge LLM and the LLB prize will cancel out any ignorant Blackadder the Fourth jokes. :wink:
foxo
Aww.

Well I'm sure the Cambridge LLM and the LLB prize will cancel out any ignorant Blackadder the Fourth jokes. :wink:

Good thing it isn't Oxford, the place is a complete dump :wink:
i was accepted for westminster and LSE but in the end i decided to go to Greenwich, don't know what the stats are but it looks like a nice enough place
I'm at King's College, UoL. It has a great Law Dept in terms of teaching staff, and the majority of toay's eminent professors and Dons at Oxbridge have been at KCL before going there. The problem with KCL law school is that it is very disorganised and its facilities are shabby apart from the great Maughan Library.

I got 3 AAA's at A-Level and am currently doing the LLB/Maitrise en droit course at King's. The only problem with King's is that its reputation overall doesn't match up with that of UCL or LSE, though the Law school at King's is without a doubt better. However, word of warning: take the league tables with a pinch of salt - some schools may have worse teaching grades, but make up with a better pupil spend score. King's don't spend much at all on students but their teaching is some of the best in the country. In fact fellow law schools tend to give King's a very high rating.
Reply 187
Very disorganised in terms of?
acey10
Very disorganised in terms of?

In terms of administration: if you ever need to complete, hand paperwork then you are in for a bad surprise.
Onearmedbandit
Yes :smile: Sheffield is great and they were really nice to me last year sent me loads of stuff and CD etc... I have a lot of time for Sheffield.

Also, looking through the trusty Bar Directory at work, there were *plenty* of barristers from Sheffield :smile:

Was chatting to a friend who has passed his BVC at Nottingham this year and he seemed to think about 10 out of 90 were sheffield graduates so that bodes well
Cambridge is groovy because they ask for less documents! But I think my college Hughes looks a bit of a dump in comparison with others!

You will be fine at HH, Halls are food and people are nice! Its quite sporty and 10mins out of town. Its quite poor, so if you stay on for a PhD you may want/have to consider moving colleges (some will let you, others wont..pm me about this if u want advice!) to increase your chances of getting funding.

I've just read the whole oxbridge v bradford thing and am a bit surprised. Granted, theres more to getting a TC than academic stuff, but I would be surprised if, for academic reasons, an employer chose bradford over oxbridge.

Secondly, it isnt the best for every subject, but for law its one of the best anywhere in terms of staff, resources and prospects.
Reply 191
LauraWalker
Got to get in on time so I can be 'barrister at law' with out the pupillage he he

Hmph :frown: Alright for some... :wink:
Reply 192
LauraWalker
Poor u, you miss out?

Yip :frown: Beginning my Undergraduate degree this year, so I'll be one of the first to be affected...

D xxx
I think people should have to complete pupillages before becoming barristers... I think the bar are trying to make sure all pupils get paid a minimum amount anyway.
viviki
Have you done graduate recruitment. Almost all of the major graduate recruiters require a general degree rather than something specific, you can have a specific degree but it won't stand you in any better stead. Even for stuff, like business, accountancy, management, even some IT. The employers will train you. So the vocational nature of the degree does not mean a damn. There is no way in the world that a Bradford student would be more employable than an Oxford student or that they would start on a higher salary. Oxbridge is the elite thats why everyone wants it so much, do you really think it would be the pinnacle of our education system if its students were not among the most employable.
The only main areas where specific subject knowledge is really required are science and medicine jobs, law, engineering and some IT.

Bradford School of Management, which is one of the top business school in the world and UK, is now offering an accredited LLB degree. Who says they cannot compete with a London or Oxbridge degree. Their MBA is in Gordon Brown's HSMP exemption list
Reply 195
Onearmedbandit
I think people should have to complete pupillages before becoming barristers... I think the bar are trying to make sure all pupils get paid a minimum amount anyway.

Thats already in place, they have to be paid a minium of approx £14,000 pa. (i cant remember the EXACT amount off top of head, sure LAWZ will tell you )
To confuse this debate of Brad v. Camb

There is a difference between Bradford university and Bradford college. I mooted at the later. They both do LLBs
Bradford College used to offer the University of Bradford LLB degree but they no longer authorised to do so. They are now offering Leeds Met degree at Bradford College.
Wings_cp
Thats already in place, they have to be paid a minium of approx £14,000 pa. (i cant remember the EXACT amount off top of head, sure LAWZ will tell you )

Sorry, I'm 5 years behind at the moment 'cos most of my info comes from the Law Machine :p:
Reply 199
SO Bristol is actually better than MAnchester

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending