Law League Tables and University Comparisons

Scroll to see replies

Reply 40
kidney thief
yea, but from whom?

Not me! I've already been made out to be a "one"... :biggrin:
whats a "one"?? :confused:
Reply 42
"Ohh she's a one!" ~ Grandma-esque comments about Essex Girls who wear mini skirts and stillettos...
Reply 43
acey10
O n everyone saw the new rankings yeh? gogo KCL~ rank 6th for law and overall, it takes a while clicking next to find UCL its quicker to select it in the universities collum muhahahah
http://education.guardian.co.uk/universityguide2005/table/0,15905,-5163903,00.html

What a load of shyte!
We all know the Guardian's tables are dodgy... I mean wtf does 'value added score' mean :confused: And Bradford above UCL, Warwick, B'ham?
Reply 45
I think value added is what degree you come out with in comparison with A Level results.
So somewhere like Bradford would obviously score higher than Oxford.
LOL! Bradford scores higher than Oxford and Cambridge on job prospects!
Reply 47
Lottelo

Why's that funny? Huh? Huh? :hmpf:
But... surely things like research and teaching quality are far more important :confused:
Reply 49
Lottelo

This could be true, when you look at the raw statistics in terms of Saleries a lot of traditonal old universities score badly becuase the courses can be so traditional there is not much demand in the job market for them these days.

Salford graduates earn significiently more than St Andrew's graduates for example. Bradford offers a lot of very applied degrees which are in demand in the job market.

For some people job prospects are not that important, it really all depends what you went for university for, not many people go to Durham to study Classics if they want to be an engineer for example.
AT82
This could be true, when you look at the raw statistics in terms of Saleries a lot of traditonal old universities score badly becuase the courses can be so traditional there is not much demand in the job market for them these days.

I assume that the Guardian table relates solely to law graduates. In which case, I find it extremely hard to believe that there is not much demand from employers for Oxbridge graduates - admittedly the course has more outdated elements, but they act as no barrier to gaining employment.

Employers, such as leading barristers sets and MC firms will still prefer Oxbridge graduates to any other university.

AT82
Salford graduates earn significiently more than St Andrew's graduates for example. Bradford offers a lot of very applied degrees which are in demand in the job market.

For some people job prospects are not that important, it really all depends what you went for university for, not many people go to Durham to study Classics if they want to be an engineer for example.

With law the "applied degree" isn't relevant. They are all law degrees (sometimes with a joint honours attached). And seeing as the table seems to be specific to law graduates, universities like Bradford aren't offering any better or particularly different courses.

Guardian

Student destinations
This is a measure of the level of employment for universities in different subjects. Last year, we used the SOC (Standard Occupational Classification) groups, which define a destination as "graduate employment" - that is employment for which you ordinarily need a degree. Burger flipping doesn't count. This year we have broadened that definition to include students going on to further study.

The Guardian pays no attention to the quality of employment gained by graduates. It is simply a list of destinations, divided into percentages, and not any sort of measure of prospects or ease in gaining high end employment.

It simply is of extremely limited use. It is a very tenuous link to "job prospects"
Reply 51
AT82

Haha, you've got to be kidding. Almost all recruiters for highly paid jobs seek students doing traditional subjects at traditional unis. These are the students that are most in demand by employers!
Reply 52
omg! sheffield is way down :frown: im really worried now! ive got an offer for the ECI Law LLB course. was thinking maybe cos its a unique course, id have higher prospects? i mean i want to work abroad... can anyone make me feel any better about sheffield?

oo and also, while ur at it.... oxford brookes. (its my insurance!) hoping for sheffield tho...... working reeeeeeally hard!

thanku!
x x x
kat_86x
omg! sheffield is way down :frown: im really worried now! ive got an offer for the ECI Law LLB course. was thinking maybe cos its a unique course, id have higher prospects? i mean i want to work abroad... can anyone make me feel any better about sheffield?

oo and also, while ur at it.... oxford brookes. (its my insurance!) hoping for sheffield tho...... working reeeeeeally hard!

thanku!
x x x

Yes :smile: Sheffield is great and they were really nice to me last year sent me loads of stuff and CD etc... I have a lot of time for Sheffield.

Also, looking through the trusty Bar Directory at work, there were *plenty* of barristers from Sheffield :smile:
Onearmedbandit

Also, looking through the trusty Bar Directory at work, there were *plenty* of barristers from Sheffield :smile:

Does that include details of the university of every barrister? :smile:
Reply 55
muncrun
Haha, you've got to be kidding. Almost all recruiters for highly paid jobs seek students doing traditional subjects at traditional unis. These are the students that are most in demand by employers!

What use is a person with classics going to be for me if I want somebody to design systems which can displace a lot of heat?

Universiites like Bradford offer very vocational degrees (Law, medicine etc is also vocational as its applied) these do get people specific jobs, they train you how to do a specific job such as electrical engineering, software development, law, etc.

Degrees like history are more rounded, these graduates have a wider choice of jobs but might find it harder to actually find one.

Just look at Bolton Institute there graduates earn more than Durham graduates, virtualy all Bolton's degrees are vocational.

Of course location is a factor, but Bolton is not a rich town the surounding area is not rich at all.

When you say traditional subjects are in more demand can you back this up?
AT82
What use is a person with classics going to be for me if I want somebody to design systems which can displace a lot of heat?

Universiites like Bradford offer very vocational degrees (Law, medicine etc is also vocational as its applied) these do get people specific jobs, they train you how to do a specific job such as electrical engineering, software development, law, etc.

Degrees like history are more rounded, these graduates have a wider choice of jobs but might find it harder to actually find one.

Just look at Bolton Institute there graduates earn more than Durham graduates, virtualy all Bolton's degrees are vocational.

Of course location is a factor, but Bolton is not a rich town the surounding area is not rich at all.

When you say traditional subjects are in more demand can you back this up?

How is the Bradford law degree more applied then? I can't honestly see how it is any more relevant than a Oxbridge degree to a law firm.
Perhaps Bradford has better "job prospects" than Oxbridge because the majority of people graduating with a Law degree from Bradform go straight into *a* job (it doesn't mean they go anywher near the legal career) whereas the majority of Oxbridge grad go into further study (LLM/BCL/BVC/LPC etc.) and therefore don't get a job straight after finishing their degree...
Reply 58
Lottelo
How is the Bradford law degree more applied then? I can't honestly see how it is any more relevant than a Oxbridge degree to a law firm.

I am talking about the wider subject ranges rather than a specific one. Bradford probably offers more vocational degrees than Oxbridge as a whole which will be of more benefit to employers rahter than studying lots of stuff which is only any use if you intend to become a researcher or somthing.
Reply 59
Onearmedbandit
Yes :smile: Sheffield is great and they were really nice to me last year sent me loads of stuff and CD etc... I have a lot of time for Sheffield.

x

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending