The Student Room Group

Law League Tables and University Comparisons

Scroll to see replies

Reply 1300
Original post by Cast.Iron
No.

But isn't the same material covered in each university?
Original post by Planar

use the search button in the top right, it will give a far more clear reason than one you'll get here!

Basically a degree isn't like A level. Although the grading is controlled partly by external bodies it is mostly set by the department and university.

So now think of a whole cohort of students at a low ranked uni (like bottom!) They are likely to have achieved very low A level grades which MAY be an indicator of low academic ability. Yet the cohort still get 1sts and 2is etc. The university would not let a whole year fail. Also it has also been suggested that marking is relative, so a low uni lecturer who reads 10 essays from oxbridge may think wow they are amazing yet may have only been graded 2i or 2ii but a similar standard at their uni would be 2i or 1st.

However your point is taken, the content is largely the same in a law degree. But the way in which it is examined can be different and the quality responses required to receive higher grades in a better uni will usually be higher.
Original post by Planar

Trollman has pretty much covered it.

Sorry for seeming a little abrupt, I know how daunting it is when first researching uni.
i feel london has bcom very crowded , der z no scope for freshers.... i prefer scotland under these circumstances... wat do u feel guys?
No-one has yet mentioned Sheffield?

Also surely any Russel Group University is seen as a good university?
I am having a hard time picking which of the following to make my firm:

Dundee - LLB Law (Englsih law)
Aberdeen - LLB Law with European Legal Studies (Scots Law)
Essex - LLB Law and Politics (English Law)

I am not too concerned with the need to convert from Scots Law to English law or vice versa. I am rather interested in where i can attain the best possible education. I do not often trust league tables and so would like to hear the opinion of the student body itself :biggrin:

Any info about the universities in general or their law degrees is appreciated.
Original post by Paulonius
I am having a hard time picking which of the following to make my firm:

Dundee - LLB Law (Englsih law)
Aberdeen - LLB Law with European Legal Studies (Scots Law)
Essex - LLB Law and Politics (English Law)

I am not too concerned with the need to convert from Scots Law to English law or vice versa. I am rather interested in where i can attain the best possible education. I do not often trust league tables and so would like to hear the opinion of the student body itself :biggrin:

Any info about the universities in general or their law degrees is appreciated.

I think you might have to give more information about what drew you to those universities in the first place. All the courses are different, all the cities/towns are different and the character of the universities are different. What did they have that made you want them rather than say UCL, Durham, Huddersfield and Stirling?
Original post by nulli tertius
I think you might have to give more information about what drew you to those universities in the first place. All the courses are different, all the cities/towns are different and the character of the universities are different. What did they have that made you want them rather than say UCL, Durham, Huddersfield and Stirling?

I also applied to Edinburgh and Strathclyde. I was rejected from Edinburgh and have no reply from Strathclyde. I chose 4 out of my 5 picks in Scotland because of the fact that I am a EU national and that means that my university fees are paid for by the government. What I am asking, is precisely what you pointed out. I want to know how good they are in Law as well as the possible benefits that their location or any other aspect might have. I did not apply for UCL, LSE and Durham for example, because i am in my schools first IB class and i am not sure that i can meet their required grades in the exams.

Hope this cleared up your question. :smile:

This really is a simple question of "If you could study law in either Essex, Aberdeen or Dundee, where would you choose to study it?"
Original post by Lawz-
Well i would imagine that the majority of those at such unis would have got less than AAB? Which is the A level cut off for most?

AAAA at Alevel and A* and A's at GCSE. You need a first or 2:1 from a decent university and go to one of the top law schools for your LPC. It is not just about where you go to uni but also where you complete your LPC.
Original post by Planar

No. Whilst there are standard modules required by the SRA. Each university offers variations of the core subject. The emphasis tends to fall depending on where the universities law academics heavily research so Oxbridge tends to be jurisprudence.
(edited 13 years ago)
Reply 1310
Original post by undermyskin
No. Whilst there are standard modules required by the SRA. Each university offers variations of the core subject. The emphasis tends to fall depending on where the universities law academics heavily research so Oxbridge tends to be jurispresidence

So an Oxbridge law degree has heavy emphasis on philosophy?
Original post by Planar
So an Oxbridge law degree has heavy emphasis on philosophy?

Yes, hence the course is BA law (jurisprudence) two of the modules are philosophy based.
Reply 1312
hi =) umm I hope this isn't covered earlier in te topic, and I hope this is relevant to the topic title too ^^"

I have and offer from Cardiff via UCAS, but Birmingham say they would certainly give me an offer if I withdrew from UCAS and applied to them. - I'm having a very hard time deciding. Also, i am predicted 2/3A* 1A at Alevel, so my parents and I fell I need to have the clearance option.

so, will I lose clearance if I withdraw from UCAS and apply to Birmingham in this manner and, regardless, which do you think has a better standing/quality with regard to the Law Department?

thanks so much for your help ^^
Reply 1313
What about City University, where would that fit in?
What do you guys think about Leeds university? Is the law school reputable? Thanks. :smile:
LSE top of the Complete University Guide 2012 table for Law. Opinions on this?
Original post by xrxyxaxnx

complete madness

Pretty ridiculous. Cue smug LSE students...

Not that it makes a difference when it comes to the practicalities.
Original post by TurboCretin
Pretty ridiculous. Cue smug LSE students...

Not that it makes a difference when it comes to the practicalities.

....obviously doesn't make a difference if UCL were no1 a couple of years ago haha

I joke. I do find it interesting how the top 5 seem to switch about on this table quite a bit between years though - must just prove that there really isn't much difference in them
....obviously doesn't make a difference if UCL were no1 a couple of years ago haha

I joke. I do find it interesting how the top 5 seem to switch about on this table quite a bit between years though - must just prove that there really isn't much difference in them

Yeh, if you want anything approaching objectivity you need to average the given university's positions over the last 5 years or so. Still, there's only one column that's relevant to most law applicants.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending