The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

c'etait (amusant) - it was (fun/amusing)
If it is etait on it's own you will have il/elle/on preceding it, or a noun. La nourriture etait delicieux... or.. il etait content.
Reply 21
Google languagesonline.org.uk which is a website that I used religiously during Higher and Adanced Higher (still go back to it occasionally now!) for grammar. It has grammar explanations for all the tenses and then endless practise exercises...do these over and over and over until you get it. It may sound tedious but it worked for me. If you get the grammar then you've nailed it because you can manipulate any verb into any tense to say what you want (use the irregular verb table at the back of you dictionary to check if you're not sure). Make sure you leave yourself enough time at the end to check over for silly mistakes like missing accents, spelling and adjective agreement which can lose you marks. Directed writing is where you can really pick up the marks because you can learn stock phrases which can be applied to really any situation you are given. For your responsive essay after the listening, look over some grammar for topics that might come up, concentrate on your grammar and have what, in my school anyway, are called "sparkle phrases"! This is ways of varying things that you might say several times...for example instead of "je pense" all the time, stick in "je crois" or "certains soutiennent que..." (some people think that) My teacher always said that if you can show that you can vary your vocabulary a bit it will impress the marker. I have a list of "sparkle phrases" that I'll dig out and post on her if you want (and if I can work out how to!) Hope this helps. Good luck x
Reply 22
Rachael you said -
If you're bad at Directed Writing, I have pretty good notes my teacher gave me, if anyone says they want them I'll post them up here :smile:
I would love to see them - we r panicking a bit!
Thanks!!!!
Sorry I took so long, I completely didn't notice anyone wanted these!
Hope they're any good, if you notice anything wrong in it (particularly the first bit about etre verbs because it was me that wrote that bit in :p:) I'd appreciate being told so I can change it :smile:

Good luck on the 22nd x
aww what, I had a neg rep from someone on this post and the comment was "kind offer" so i'm hoping they didn't mean to give me the red one :frown:
rachaelpedreschi
Sorry I took so long, I completely didn't notice anyone wanted these!
Hope they're any good, if you notice anything wrong in it (particularly the first bit about etre verbs because it was me that wrote that bit in :p:) I'd appreciate being told so I can change it :smile:

Good luck on the 22nd x

Thanks for that. Just out of interest; in what cases would you conjugate passer with etre. None immediatley sprig to mind.
Reply 26
Thanks for uploading the document rachael! I really think it'll help in the exam :woo:
namedeprived
Thanks for that. Just out of interest; in what cases would you conjugate passer with etre. None immediatley sprig to mind.

I've personally no idea, I was just told by a teacher but I looked it up and:

"Passer is a regular -ER verb but may be conjugated with avoir or être in the compound tenses, depending on whether it is transitive or intransitive."

No, I don't know what that means...:smile:

Also, anyone an idea of how to get rid of that pesky negative thing, I'm quite gutted because I think it was accidental :p: or does it even matter all that much?
I think it would be conjugated with etre in the passive voice, which cannot be used with intransitive verbs in French (verbs which don't take a direct object). We won't need to know it really for the exam will we? It confuses me.
lilhunni_jo
I think it would be conjugated with etre in the passive voice, which cannot be used with intransitive verbs in French (verbs which don't take a direct object). We won't need to know it really for the exam will we? It confuses me.

I really doubt it. So long as you know your perfect and imperfect tense, and maybe a bit of future and conditional, as well as your adjective agrrements, you will be well on your way to 15.

By the way the following is a good (and impressive to the examiner) sentence to use in the last paragraph using the both pluperfect tense and the conditional perfect tense.

Si j'avais eu plus de temps, j'aurais visité (Lyon, les monument historiques, etc)
If i had had more time, I would have visited...
Reply 30
Argh, French a week tomorrow :redface:

I'm so gonna fail haha! I think my Directed Writing has improved.... But the whole of paper 2 has basically gone downhill!! :redface: I hate that the reading passages are first (same with english!) when the essay based papers are in paper 2 when you need to remember a lot of information!
Reading is easy.
Listening can be easy but sometimes it can be solid.
Writing is well hard.
Reply 32
And the fact you have to pass the writing before the speaking is accounted for!!!
javjamoll
And the fact you have to pass the writing before the speaking is accounted for!!!

What? :eek: You sure? Or do you mean the NAB?
Reply 34
No, That's what our teacher told us.

You have to pass the writing part of the exam for the speaking to be accounted for. That's why our prelim was marked out of 75 instead of 100 aswell...

I was shocked aswell!
By Writing, I'm assuming you mean the Directed Writing? So if you fail that, do you mean that you get no marks for the final exam and it is marked out of 75?
Reply 36
javjamoll
Argh, French a week tomorrow :redface:

I'm so gonna fail haha! I think my Directed Writing has improved.... But the whole of paper 2 has basically gone downhill!! :redface: I hate that the reading passages are first (same with english!) when the essay based papers are in paper 2 when you need to remember a lot of information!

Why don't you just do the essay first? (assuming you're not talking about the listening paper here, btw)
I usually do the Directed Writing first, then the reading, then leave about ten minutes at the end to look over my Directed Writing twice; once to check verbs and again to check adjective agreements and spelling.
Reply 37
I mean the personal response in the listening paper. Directed writing is slightly easier to do as you have the basic bullet points which usually comes up. A bit easier to right and remember as it's the same most of the time.

While the listening one you have to sit through a 20minute recording (well near enough) and then 1hour and40? before that with paper one. Much like English while the close reading is first, then an 2hours and 5minutes (including the break) later you have to do the essay bulk based on remembering quotes/phrases!

Sorry if it wasn't clearer first time round.

I prefer to do the reading first, as I'm slower at it...

Not really sure. She only mentioned it to us firstly as it was marked out of 75 not 100 (for the prelim not including the speaking %) and secondly because I failed my prelim and the writing element was my worse so she told me that if I don't pass the writing it won't be included in the final mark.
Don't care if this is the Higher thread, but anyone else looking forward to Advanced Higher?
Reply 39
TheJeebs
Don't care if this is the Higher thread, but anyone else looking forward to Advanced Higher?

I'm doing it next year, can't wait :p:

Latest

Trending

Trending