The Student Room Group
Waterfront bar, King's College
King's College London
London

War Studies & Philosophy / & History

I got accepted for War Studies & Philosophy at King's, but now I'm thinking about maybe switching to War Studies & History, so I have a few questions.

First of all: Would such a switch be possible at all? I will ask them next week, but maybe one of you already knows the answer.

Another point: From looking at the course list, it seems to be that as a history student, I would have a much greater choice of courses than as a philosophy student. Can maybe a current student clarify to me if that impression is correct?

Additionally, from what I heard it seems to be the case that as a history student, it is possible to take courses from the other U of L schools (which would explain the greater choice), but this rule doesn't seem to apply to philosophy, is that right?

Both departments rank very high, but apparently history ranks even higher, and the job prospects with a history degree seem to be much better than with a philosophy degree, correct?

Generally, I really like both subjects, and I could imagine myself studying both and would certainly also enjoy both. If you have an opinion concerning my arguments, or if you have any other argument that I didn't yet consider, please let me know :smile:
Reply 1
I think a switch from WS/P to WS/H would depend on the History department, whether they are willing to take on another combined honours student. And it also depends on how many courses in the History department you are considering to take - is it one or two classes that you want, or a whole range of them? Is it worth the trouble of changing? Consider that.

And yes, for History, it is possible to take intercollegiate courses - but not in your 1st year. After that, however, you have free run of things.
Waterfront bar, King's College
King's College London
London
I believe that the History department at KCL is heavilly oversubscribed so it would, ultimately, be down to them.

So yeah, either contact them and beg, or take a gap year, or do WS and Philosophy and take some History electives, if possible.

Latest