The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

Reply 20
Turdburger
Was I right to put OH over Cl priority in question 2?

As there's a chlorine on both functionalised carbons, the C(OH)(Cl) carbon takes precedent anyway.

I've not read all the answers but I got:
1. 3-methylhexan-2-ol
2. 2,3-dichloro-3-methylbutan-1-ol
3. 2-methylcyclohexan-1-ol

Turdburger
I think you can name this more than one way, there might be some formally correct way, but no chemist would actually really care --

IUPAC would care. Any chemist in a lab would use a trivial or abbreviated name.
Turdburger

As Kaeroll said the OH and Cl substituted carbon takes priority over the Cl substituted carbon.
Christ is this mean't to be for AS?

(not the priority thing, I don't think, it was never mentioned on my syllabus)
Loz17
Christ is this mean't to be for AS?

(not the priority thing, I don't think, it was never mentioned on my syllabus)

Yeah these look like AS questions - the priority rules have been included on the new specs - confusing many teachers I believe :tongue:
EierVonSatan
Yeah these look like AS questions - the priority rules have been included on the new specs - confusing many teachers I believe :tongue:

Haha

But theymust have been taught it at uni though?? You can't teach A level unless you have a degree in that subject
Loz17
Haha

But theymust have been taught it at uni though?? You can't teach A level unless you have a degree in that subject

True, but for many teachers this was some time ago (though I'm not sure on the rules of who can teach what with each degree).
EierVonSatan
True, but for many teachers this was some time ago (though I'm not sure on the rules of who can teach what with each degree).

Yea fair point :smile:

I think its you need to study to one level higher than you can teach, and have a PGCE of course (in general)
Reply 27
I was taught loose priority rules at college - not R/S configurations and the like, but oxidation state based rules (e.g. carboxylic acid takes priority over alcohol).
EierVonSatan

Im 99% sure my GCSE chemistry teacher had a physiology degree. And this is in a top school
Kaeroll
I was taught loose priority rules at college - not R/S configurations and the like, but oxidation state based rules (e.g. carboxylic acid takes priority over alcohol).

There is nothing on my syllabus on it, and the only think left to be taught i about chemistry in the industry, so product production basically

How fun :rolleyes:
Turdburger
Im 99% sure my GCSE chemistry teacher had a physiology degree. And this is in a top school

Yeah but that's two levels below qualification - if they have an A-level then it's fine. I'd be more concerned with graduates holding psedo-relevant science degrees like food science :yep:
EierVonSatan
Yeah but that's two levels below qualification - if they have an A-level then it's fine. I'd be more concerned with graduates holding psedo-relevant science degrees like food science :yep:

2 levels?
raspberryice
2 levels?

A first degree is two qualification levels higher than GCSE

Degree ---> A-level ----> GCSE
EierVonSatan
A first degree is two qualification levels higher than GCSE

Degree ---> A-level ----> GCSE

oh right i thought u meant the degree was. k,
Reply 34
Which takes priority when it comes to something like an OH group and methyl?
Shayke
Which takes priority when it comes to something like an OH group and methyl?

EierVonSatan
2-methylcyclohexanol

OH takes priority over CH3

:smile:
Reply 36
EierVonSatan
:smile:

Would that mean butyl would take priority over OH?

i.e. Do you compare the first letters still, taking the OH group as hydroxyl, starting with an H (compared to taking is as -ol starting with an O)? lol

Might sound silly, just wanna clear it up =]
Shayke

i.e. Do you compare the first letters still, taking the OH group as hydroxyl, starting with an H (compared to taking is as -ol starting with an O)? lol

You first look at the connecting atom - the one with the highest atomic weight takes priority so O > C and so OH > CH2CH2CH2CH3.

When the first atom is equivalent you move outwards e.g. C(CH3)3 > CH2CH2CH2CH3.
Reply 38
Shayke

OH takes priority over any alkyl group. Alkyl groups have the lowest priority (other than hydrogen) generally. I'm not sure of the rule for light elements such as boron - they may be out-ranked by hydrocarbons - but that's not an issue at A level.

Within alkyl groups, effectively the heaviest group takes priority.
Turdburger

2,4-dichloro-4-methylpentan-2-ol is what I would have personally called it. It is a dichloro and an alcohol so it is better to start with the dichloro and finish on an ol.

Latest