The Student Room Group

OXFORD University - Entry Requirements.

Righto, I read off this link

http://www.ox.ac.uk/admissions/undergraduate_courses/courses/courses_and_entrance_requirements/index.html#ascottish_qualifications

Scottish Qualifications

Students with Scottish qualifications would usually be expected to have AAAAB or AAAAA in Scottish Highers, supplemented by two or more Advanced Highers. The University currently sets conditional offers that require AAB if a student is able to take three Advanced Highers; where this is not possible then a student would be expected to achieve AA in two Advanced Highers, as well as an A grade in an additional Higher course taken in Year 6.

I'm currently doing 4 highers (5th year) which makes it impossible for me to get 5 A's.

Next term I'm in 6th year doing 2 Advanced Highers and 3 Highers.

So..according to the website in 5th year I need 5 A's (Higher) AND 2 A's (Advanced Higher) + A (Higher)

since I could only possibly get 4 A's (Higher) is it possible for me to get 2 A's (Advanced Higher) + 2 or more A's (Higher)

In total I need 6 A's (Higher) and 2 A's (Advanced Higher)

Basically, the grades I can't get in 5th year..can I get them in 6th instead?

Scroll to see replies

Reply 1
Of course there is always a chance of getting accepted. However, unless there are extenuating circumstances that have led you to taking only 4 subjects this year you are unlikely to be given an offer merely for the fact you won't be seen as someone who can handle the workload - especially when considering people with 5 A's at Higher and 3 A's at advanced higher are still rejected. So unless you are really exceptional (in terms of your personal statement and then your interview), its unrealistic to see you having a good chance.
Because if you want to go to Oxford, you should be able to cope well with 5 Highers in 5th year. Simple really.
Ape Gone Insane

I'm currently doing 4 highers (5th year) which makes it impossible for me to get 5 A's.
Next term I'm in 6th year doing 2 Advanced Highers and 3 Highers.
Basically, the grades I can't get in 5th year..can I get them in 6th instead?

As far as I can see, there's nothing specified about which year you get the highers and advanced highers (unless you are only doing 2 AHs). But the best course of action would be to phone or email the central admissions office and ask them.

DtS
As far as I see it you neeed:

AAAAAA/AAAAAB in Highers
AA in Advanced Highers.

Which should be fine as you are doing 7 highers.
Reply 5
Did you choose to take 4 highers, or was it your schools policy? If the latter get that mentioned on your reference ...
Reply 6
why aren't you doing 5 highers this year then?
It doesn't matter which years you get the grades in: if you're rejected the first time around, simply re-apply once you have that smattering of As and an amazing personal statement, if you really want to go. Then you'll have as good a chance as anyone else with similar grades.
Reply 8
Ape Gone Insane
I'm doing 4 Advanced Highers AND 3 Highers in 6th year. That's a school record. :o:

Have you found some way of expanding time?! I'd imagine that's a national record, never mind a school record.
Your fault for being scottish to be honest :dontknow:
Ape Gone Insane
I'm pretty sure the national record is the 11 Advanced Highers taken and 11 A's a boy gained from that over 2 years.

You still haven't answered why you're only doing 4 highers this year though. If you can't justify that it will weaken your application.
Ape Gone Insane
I'm pretty sure the national record is the 11 Advanced Highers taken and 11 A's a boy gained from that over 2 years.

I bet he's a hit with the laydeez. :awesome:
The crux of the question is,

Why aren't you doing five highers?
No. Forget it.

Spoiler

Ape Gone Insane
I got 1's for all my subjects in 4th year except Biology which I got a 3 for..therefore I had to drop Higher Biology.

Hmm..

I don't know how that will affect you. I doubt Oxford like people dropping subjects..

You may get away with it if you do something impressive in sixth year.
Reply 15
Ape Gone Insane
I got 1's for all my subjects in 4th year except Biology which I got a 3 for..therefore I had to drop Higher Biology.

Couldn't you have taken a Higher in one of the other subjects you got a 1 in? It would have looked far better on the certificate on August the whenever, and on your UCAS.
Ape Gone Insane
Do Oxford send out offers?

I'm not sure on how the "conditional offers" system works.

I mean, if someone got 4 A's in 5th year would they get a letter?

And if someone got 5 A's...would they get a letter?

You apply for university through UCAS and select Oxford. They then decided wether to give you a test or not, you do the test and they decide wether to let you through to interview or not. If interviewed they then decide wether to give you an offer or not.

I have to say though, only doing 4 highers without a decent excuse wont make it easy in the slightest.
Take a year out, get the extra grades and re-apply?

Kerry Katona at the Oxford Union though, pffft. :rolleyes:
Ape Gone Insane
What can I say?

:frown:

Well, first thing is to try and find some way of demonstrating your love of your chosen subject outside of class. What you might want to will depend on which subject you want to do. Read around a lot on this subject and make sure you nail your 4 highers. As long as you get 4A's you will still have a shot and if you do well on whatever entry test they might have (not sure if all subjects have one, most do though as far as i'm aware) then you should still be able to get an interview. This is where reading around and immersing yourself in your subject is good. If you can demonstrate your academic potential well at interview then they may will take you despite only having 4 highers. You've shot yourself in the foot a bit, but you should still have a chance.
Ape Gone Insane
Going to be hard considering no one got an A in Higher English last year...in my school.

And what ideally would I need to get in 6th year...(You need 6th year grades as well eg. Advanced Highers)

I'm wanting to do Law and the only thing I've done and received a certificate for is this scheme called "Lawyer Trials" or something similar. It was a one day court session where schools prepared cases and took part in a court battle against each other.

Only people interested in Law took part.

I would really push for that A in English, there will be plenty of people from similar schools to yours who will get the best grades and those are who you need to compete with. Law is especially competitive aswell.

The main battle would be getting an offer, but if you did get one it would likely be AAA with a chance of AAB in advanced highers.

I can't help you much with what preparation would be good for law though, i'm a sciences kind of guy myself, sorry :p:

Latest

Trending

Trending