The Student Room Group

Holiday / Study - Dilemma - Help Me Out!!

My family wants to go on holiday in August for 14 days

In the summer i am having Further Maths lessons

My teacher says he will teach us, not sure how many lessons a week yet, he will obviously stop for those times when im on holiday, but if i dont go then he will get ahead in teaching

I said i want to stay here and do my Maths because then i have less pressure next year and i can get good grades

my family wants me to just go and it works out for all of them because they have booked time off and my mother gets extra week etc. etc.

Should i go and lose out on a few (probably 4 lessons) maths lessons
Or should i stay, upset my family and get ahead in maths so i can get a good grade which i need because im not clever i need hard work!

What should i tell my parents, i've run out of stamina to argue my case and i've run out of ideas, i've alread said how it would reduce my grade and make me under pressure during the school year

on a separate note, is it important that i am here for AS results day? or will it not matter if i get results 9 days later?

Thanks , i need some good advise, i'm stressing over this when i should be concentrating on my exams this May+June, so im outsourcing my thinking to you!
Reply 1
Go on holiday - everyone needs to recharge their batteries. You don't need to be around for AS results. You can always log-in to get them or phone your school for them if you are desperate to know the results.
Reply 2
JCM89
Go on holiday - everyone needs to recharge their batteries. You don't need to be around for AS results. You can always log-in to get them or phone your school for them if you are desperate to know the results.

ok i sort of realised earlier about AS results not being too important, but im not the type to need recharging, i'll be doing whatever i want most days because i'll only be having maths lessons in the summer for maybe max 4 days a week and 2 hours a day only, i just want to get through a lot of maths in the summer so i have less pressure from september and i can take 2 modules in January 2010 and i can achieve a good grade and go to the university of my choice comfortably
its only four lessons, could you not squeeze them in before or after? I was on holiday on AS results day and....I don't know what happened to them but your school will have them recorded and so will your subject teachers.
Reply 4
neomilan
ok i sort of realised earlier about AS results not being too important, but im not the type to need recharging, i'll be doing whatever i want most days because i'll only be having maths lessons in the summer for maybe max 4 days a week and 2 hours a day only, i just want to get through a lot of maths in the summer so i have less pressure from september and i can take 2 modules in January 2010 and i can achieve a good grade and go to the university of my choice comfortably

So stay home then. Doesn't sound like you need any advice.
Reply 5
tropical-twist3
its only four lessons, could you not squeeze them in before or after? I was on holiday on AS results day and....I don't know what happened to them but your school will have them recorded and so will your subject teachers.

i'll find out this tuesday what my teacher plans, but i doubt he can sqeeze a lot before, he has other classes etc.

yes ok results will be forfeited, im finding it hard to see the importance of having them on the day as opposed to later, so i agree i can miss them
Reply 6
JCM89
So stay home then. Doesn't sound like you need any advice.

i do need advice, because i dont know if im stressing too much or i dont know how to get my family to see my situation instead of their convenience this year... im confused overall
neomilan

If you really want to stay, then stay, but don't stay for 4 lessons! Get more done than that in two weeks, it doesn't seem worth it for 4 lessons
Reply 8
tropical-twist3
If you really want to stay, then stay, but don't stay for 4 lessons! Get more done than that in two weeks, it doesn't seem worth it for 4 lessons

i suppose 4 lessons is not much
as long as my teacher agrees to squeeze it into previous weeks then i can go on holiday i suppose
Reply 9
Work through it yourself when you get back, go and ask him if you get stuck or want something to be explained :smile:

That's what I'd do personally. After Reading your thread title I though you were going to say you were going on holiday now and missing revision, in that case the story would have been so so different!
Go on holiday. Math can be learnt quickly, and it's not the kind of thing you need to sit in a lecture to get different viewpoints of the lecturer etc.

Plus, you're taking 5 A levels. Sounds like you can handle it!

Latest